Odd little buggy thing

Macintosh support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Odd little buggy thing

Post by Painted Lady »

I just started to play Book I again so I could look at Jedi_Learner's additions to the maps. Incidentally, they are really great - they fit right in and add some nice surprise moments to the play-through.

Anyway, I have had a funny thing happen a couple of times and am not sure what causes it. I start Book I up (Jedi_Learner's modified version) and load a saved game only to find messed up tiles. Sometimes it looks like it just snowed and the ground is completely white. Sometimes about 30% of the tiles are white, while the others are normal. Once my game came up properly, but when I quick-traveled (either to Aridell or Bordertown) the tiles in those towns were partly white.

I haven't played Book I since BW recompiled for the Mac, so I don't know if the problem is the Mac compile or J_L's mod. It really isn't a big deal, because when I back all of the way out and start completely over the problem goes away. Has anyone else seen this?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Odd little buggy thing

Post by SpottedShroom »

This problem has been discussed before:

http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... =10&t=3998

It seems Mac-specific, but unfortunately there wasn't a consensus on what was causing it or how to fix it.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Ah, I hadn't picked up on those postings because the title had to do with buying on Steam. Since I bought from BW I skipped those postings.

So, I tried the "toggle the start screen options" suggestion before loading, and it seemed to do the trick. Thanks!
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Oops - spoke too soon. The problem is back despite fiddling with the start buttons..........
kracken1970
Pledge

Post by kracken1970 »

I've been getting this too.

I found when I launched the program in the dock, the problem was often there.

When I launched from the apps folder it seemed to go away.
Isshy
Initiate

Post by Isshy »

I have the white tiles and the problems with the game quitting also. These problems were posted half a year ago and it looks like they haven't bothered to fix it, yet they have no compunction selling it on both Steam and Mac Games Arcade. Shame on you Basalisk! The game is unplayable and you should fix it or give us our money back.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Isshy wrote:I have the white tiles and the problems with the game quitting also. These problems were posted half a year ago and it looks like they haven't bothered to fix it, yet they have no compunction selling it on both Steam and Mac Games Arcade. Shame on you Basalisk! The game is unplayable and you should fix it or give us our money back.
Crying "me too" while providing no relevant information is not going to help fix a problem that cannot be replicated in house.
Isshy
Initiate

Post by Isshy »

Crying "me too" while providing no relevant information is not going to help fix a problem that cannot be replicated in house.
Don't you cry foul when you get ripped off? I wasn't trying to 'help fix' it. I was pointing out that the game is unplayable, that the problems are ongoing and have not been addressed, and yet Basilisk still take peoples money for it.

Since you seem interested however I have the same problems as others have posted here.

1)The game gets to a certain point then crashes. No amount of reloading/restarting or playing from earlier saves fixes it making the game unplayable.

2)Large white triangular tiles all over the screen. Multiple restarts required until it goes away.

Mac OS 10.6.5
Mac Pro 2 X 2.66 Intel Dual-Core
5 gigs ram
NVidia GeForce 7300GT graphics

If there is no fix I would like a refund please.
Isshy
Initiate

Post by Isshy »

Jedi_Learner wrote:What version are you playing with? Where did you purchase Book I from? And do you keep your computer on for extended periods?
Version 1.05
Purchased through Mac Games Arcade (Inside Mac Games app)
Yes. I use my Mac for long periods of time. I put it to sleep when not using it.
Isshy
Initiate

Post by Isshy »

Jedi_Learner wrote:Version 1.06 came out back in September. I suggest you update Book I and restart your computer before playing again. Please let us know if this solves your problem.
I don't see a link there just an announcement. Where do I download the patch?
Last edited by Isshy on January 14th, 2011, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Isshy wrote:
Jedi_Learner wrote:Version 1.06 came out back in September. I suggest you update Book I and restart your computer before playing again. Please let us know if this solves your problem.
From the Page Jedi Learner linked, "Links for the demo can be found in the downloads section of our website. If you need a new full version, please email us your purchase information (order number works best!) and we can activate a new download link for you."

BW does not use patches. It's a new download of the full game.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Isshy
Initiate

Post by Isshy »

From the Page Jedi Learner linked, "Links for the demo can be found in the downloads section of our website. If you need a new full version, please email us your purchase information (order number works best!) and we can activate a new download link for you."

BW does not use patches. It's a new download of the full game.
Wonderful. Now if they only listed their email address I would be in good shape.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Isshy wrote:Wonderful. Now if they only listed their email address I would be in good shape.
You could send a PM to BasiliskWrangler here on the boards, or email to info [at] basiliskgames.com. It may take up to a week to get a response, depending what's going on in BW's day-to-day. Try to be patient.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Isshy
Initiate

Post by Isshy »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:If you need a new full version, please email us your purchase information (order number works best!) and we can activate a new download link for you.
I'm sure this is only applicable if you purchased Book I from Basilisk Games. I've already told you what to do Isshy, go to Mac Games Arcade and download Book I again from their website...
Tried that. The reinstall button did nothing. I hit uninstall and now I don't have the game at all with no way to reinstall. GRR!

Edit- found a way to re download it from Mac Games Store... waiting...

Edit2-Reinstall complete. Still version 1.05 as I expected. Same bugs present.
Isshy
Initiate

Post by Isshy »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Isshy wrote:Wonderful. Now if they only listed their email address I would be in good shape.
You could send a PM to BasiliskWrangler here on the boards, or email to info [at] basiliskgames.com. It may take up to a week to get a response, depending what's going on in BW's day-to-day. Try to be patient.
Sorry. No patience here. I purchased the game in good faith that it was a working finished product. I just wanted to play it for a week while I wait for my new graphics card to arrive when I will be moving on to other games. I feel a refund is in order.