How to make enough gold?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Kyote
Apprentice

How to make enough gold?

Post by Kyote »

Sincei t seems that once you kill a group of monsters in a given area, how do you make enough gold to buy the good stuff? Or refills, or healing?
Kyote
Tiavals
Initiate

Post by Tiavals »

I don't see how gold and monsters fit together. You very rarely get loot out of them. You get gold from chests by selling what's in there. And if you're paying for healing and potions, you're doing something wrong(using alchemy is much cheaper, and using healing spells even more). Besides, you don't buy the good stuff, you find it.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Not a lot of gold is dropped.

Gold may be found (hand placed) in some chests, quests almost always pay well, and selling the good stuff that you find when you can't use it.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Tiavals wrote:I don't see how gold and monsters fit together. You very rarely get loot out of them. You get gold from chests by selling what's in there. And if you're paying for healing and potions, you're doing something wrong(using alchemy is much cheaper, and using healing spells even more). Besides, you don't buy the good stuff, you find it.
Does anyone in the game sell the alchemy recipe for healing spells? I had a scroll that listed recipe's for like 3 or 4 different ones and I accidentally sold it and now its gone :cry:
Aganazer
Apprentice

Post by Aganazer »

I have made the most gold from selling alchemical supplies. I find the most loot so far in dungeons. I really enjoy the scarcity of gold. It makes me plan out how I want to spend it more that way.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Aganazer wrote:I have made the most gold from selling alchemical supplies. I find the most loot so far in dungeons. I really enjoy the scarcity of gold. It makes me plan out how I want to spend it more that way.
Agreed, gold shouldn't be too plentiful to come by or it make it meaningless. When I find a barrel with 40 gold i get excited in this game. I wish I would not have sold those alchemy recipes though. I have divinity level 1 so maybe i should just buy a healing spell.
Kyote
Apprentice

Post by Kyote »

I found a couple ways to do it. Main way is to sleep alot and get random encounters, well, it isn't the 'main way'.
Kyote
Asharak
Apprentice

Post by Asharak »

Aganazer wrote:I really enjoy the scarcity of gold. It makes me plan out how I want to spend it more that way.
Absolutely. It's a too-common obsession of 'modern' RPGs to hand out ridiculously excessive quantities of gold because people apparently like phat lewt. :P Keeping the quantity of cash limited makes the exercise of returning to town, selling your salvage and buying new gear into a much more interesting and strategic part of the game.

- Ash
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Saxon1974 wrote:
Tiavals wrote:I don't see how gold and monsters fit together. You very rarely get loot out of them. You get gold from chests by selling what's in there. And if you're paying for healing and potions, you're doing something wrong(using alchemy is much cheaper, and using healing spells even more). Besides, you don't buy the good stuff, you find it.
Does anyone in the game sell the alchemy recipe for healing spells? I had a scroll that listed recipe's for like 3 or 4 different ones and I accidentally sold it and now its gone :cry:
I found a book with 4 recipes in it. As follows:
Healing Elix: Willow sap + sulfur
Mana Potion: Mandrake Root + acid
Cat's Eye Potion: Willow Sap + Bromine
Keen Sight: Ambergris + acid
(this last one, the book said, needed to be higher level than 1 to make it - the others an apprentice could easily make.)

Hope that helps.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Dragonlady wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:
I found a book with 4 recipes in it. As follows:
Healing Elix: Willow sap + sulfur
Mana Potion: Mandrake Root + acid
Cat's Eye Potion: Willow Sap + Bromine
Keen Sight: Ambergris + acid
(this last one, the book said, needed to be higher level than 1 to make it - the others an apprentice could easily make.)

Hope that helps.
Do I have to have the book to be able to create those potions? If not, I can just use your post as a ref. Thanks for that.

I had that book and sold and now its gone :(
salend
Apprentice

Making $$$

Post by salend »

The following is legit and it does not unbalance the game (in my opinion) however you may not want to read it if you prefer a more sparse money game.

I prefer my mage to be a bit more street smart than book smart so I built up Merchant and Alch to about 15-16 each (including the use of books and a +3 Alch ring)

At these levels, you can enchant items or make level 3 healing potions and sell them for a useful amount of cash. Given the limitation on reagents, this does not flood the game with cash. In my opinion, it makes the investment in Merchant and Alch pay for themselves with a little left over.

Cheers,

DanS
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Saxon1974 wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:
I have no idea. At the time I didn't have Alchemy so I sold it. Just copied down the information for my own curiosity. :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Dragonlady wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:
Innkeeper in Blackwater had the book in case you want to pick it up again.
agnari
Senior Steward

Post by agnari »

trouble with some of the merchants, after selling enough good stuff to them they run out of $$$ and can't buy more.
Adventuring my way thru RPGs one pixel at a time.
Azael
Initiate

Post by Azael »

Come back a few days later, they should have a new stock of inventory and gold.