Known Issues and Workarounds

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

These are frequently reported issues that people have discovered during the course of the game. Most of these issues will not affect the average player, however if you do run into a situation that you are concerned about, please check here first to see if there is a solution.

Also, our number one advice is to save often and use multiple save slots. If you run into one of these rare problems, reloading a previously saved game is usually your best (and sometimes only) solution.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mouse buttons don't work in the Character Editor!
Workaround wrote:Reboot your computer, and the problem will go away. This problem is caused by the timing function that is used in Eschalon: Book I which seems to go buggy if the computer has been left on for extended periods.
When using a chest that requires a number to open, the slider is too sensitive and makes it hard, if not impossible to stop at a particular number!
Workaround wrote:This seems to be caused from high-precision gaming mouses, especially ones that have their DPI tracking set high. Lowering the mouse's DPI tracking rate or acceleration rate should allow you to accurately control the slider. Remember to return your mouse to its original setting afterwards.
Lilith has been killed by a swarm of Hive Drones!
Workaround wrote:Lilith is not critical to the completion of the game, but if you are concerned about following through with her quests, the best solution is to load a previous saved game. If you don't have one, or simply want to continue, Lilith would of told you that your amulet is a key, and that it opens something underground in Blackwater...
Choosing a certain dialogue response while talking to Gruzz in Whistling Cave crashes the game!
Workaround wrote:The best solution is to not choose this dialogue response. :P If you really must murder this lonely, innocent Goblin, attack him outside of dialogue. Hold the left shift button down and click on the Goblin if you want to do this.
The Shady Character and his mercenaries have ambushed me, even though I've already killed them!
Workaround wrote:If you don't want the extra experience, the simplest solution after your first ambush is to avoid either the area around the sign road east of Blackwater or the gap in the mountains to the north. If you want to pass the mountains, simply head east into the next map, north and then west. You can navigate around these areas by using Quick Travel as well.
I have traveled from one map to another and now I'm stuck in the trees!
Workaround wrote:There are a couple areas in the game world where this is possible. The best solution is to load a previous saved game. If no enemies are around, you can use Quick Travel to get out.
The narrative text mentions someone hanging from a rack in Vela. There is nobody there!
Workaround wrote:The best solution is to load a previous saved game, preferably one that was made before you entered Vela. If you don't have one, and want to follow the natural progression of the main storyline, do the following:
  • 1) Save your game anywhere expect in Vela.
  • 2) Exit Eschalon: Book I and find where your saved games are kept.
  • 3) Delete the following files: "22.map", "22.opg" and "22.ent" from your saved game. Deleting these three files will reset Vela.
  • 4) Open Eschalon: Book I and load the saved game. Return to Vela.
The Dimensional Eye in Shadowmirk has fled through the back door, making it impossible to explore the rest of Shadowmirk!
Workaround wrote:The best solution is to load a previous saved game, preferably one that was made before you entered Shadowmirk. If you don't have one, try throwing Demon Oil or the Flask of Incinerator Fuel at the creature as the splash from the fire should kill it. If this doesn't work, do the following:
  • 1) Save your game anywhere expect in Shadowmirk.
  • 3) Delete the following files: "shadowmirk_l1.map", "shadowmirk_l1.opg" and "shadowmirk_l1.ent" from your saved game. Deleting these three files will reset Shadowmirk.
  • 4) Open Eschalon: Book I and load the saved game. Return to Shadowmirk, and this time don't let the Dimensional Eye flee through the back door! :P
I believe I am very close to the end of the game! However, I only have three Goblin keys and cannot find the other! I've looked at the Unofficial FAQ and used the search query, but I can't find the last key!
Workaround wrote:This is a extremely rare bug that sometimes doesn't allow one of the Goblin Warlords to drop his key. If you think you are a victim of this bug, do the following:
  • 1) Save your game on the second level of Shadowmirk.
  • 3) Delete the following files: "shadowmirk_l3.map", "shadowmirk_l3.opg" and "shadowmirk_l3.ent" from your saved game. Deleting these three files will reset the third level of Shadowmirk.
  • 4) Open Eschalon: Book I and load the saved game. Make your way to level three and take the Green Goblin key that is inside the chest in Erubor's bedroom.
You can repeat this process if you need additional keys. Having the same colored Goblin key will not affect the key stone you use in the Goblin Citadel. It is important that you have four Goblin keys; no more, no less. Key color is not important.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
dagorkan
Initiate

Re: Known Issues and Workarounds

Post by dagorkan »

Is there any way to increase walking speed? I am trying to continue this game (started on my desktop) on a netbook and it is even slower than I remembered.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

dagorkan wrote:Is there any way to increase walking speed? I am trying to continue this game (started on my desktop) on a netbook and it is even slower than I remembered.
That's a common complaint, but no, there is no way. Walking speed was increased in Book II and might be again in Book III.
Greyparrot
Pledge

Post by Greyparrot »

I noticed if I do not get Cartography, the game has a very very fast walk-speed for me!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Greyparrot wrote:I noticed if I do not get Cartography, the game has a very very fast walk-speed for me!
Cartography is being re-written for Book III due to ongoing problems with the current way it is implemented.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Greyparrot
Pledge

Post by Greyparrot »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Greyparrot wrote:I noticed if I do not get Cartography, the game has a very very fast walk-speed for me!
Cartography is being re-written for Book III due to ongoing problems with the current way it is implemented.
The game is actually a LOT more challenging and fun without the minimap. I recommend trying it for fun!
Ikzai
Initiate

Post by Ikzai »

Greyparrot wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:
The game is actually a LOT more challenging and fun without the minimap. I recommend trying it for fun!
Oh gosh I can't even imagine. The game is difficult (and fun) enough for me as it is. XD