Cartography overwriting itself

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Kyote
Apprentice

Cartography overwriting itself

Post by Kyote »

I have the scout's Sandals and it helps me with my mapmaking. I also use the spell 'reveal map' but when the spell wears out it then removes all the added features on areas already mapped out. Like instead of showing the paths it reverts to just showing green.

I find myself having to go back and redo spots I've walked once the spell wears off.
Kyote
Melvil
Initiate

Post by Melvil »

I'm not certain, but I think this is intended, the spell gives you a quick look and nothing else. I would say that it makes the utility of this spell fairly low in most cases. It's been helpful in a few dungeons so far.
Asharak
Apprentice

Post by Asharak »

Melvil wrote:I'm not certain, but I think this is intended, the spell gives you a quick look and nothing else. I would say that it makes the utility of this spell fairly low in most cases. It's been helpful in a few dungeons so far.
That's possible, but I think it's a poor decision, if so. The idea between the cartography skill is that you're drawing a map - the skill is simply how good you are at drawing it. Once drawn, then, the changes should be permanent - what is your character going to do, go back and erase all the stuff he drew last week because he doesn't like it anymore?

- Ash
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

No, it's just a magical glimpse, like looking into a crystal ball; it doesn't actually write anything to your map. I think it would be a poor and unbalancing choice to give you a map for a few easily refillable mana points that would cost many precious skill points to get.
PaSquall
Steward

Post by PaSquall »

Fleisch wrote:No, it's just a magical glimpse, like looking into a crystal ball; it doesn't actually write anything to your map.
Ditto. Many games work like that.
Kyote
Apprentice

Post by Kyote »

I have to agree with Asharak. It's description is a short improvement to your cartography skill. Your NOT going to go back and erase what you took the time to draw. Especially knowing that during the drawing your skill was being enhanced by a magical spell. So once the map is drawn it should remain at at least the level of detail it was drawn at.

Otherwise when we buy a map from a vendor with the other type of thinking that map too should revert to the players skill.

Regardless, it doesn't matter to me any more. I quit using the spell because it screws with the user too much. Makes ya not want to go where you've already been because it removes detail that you've already taken the time to get in the first place. For the same reason I can't and won't stop using the scout shoes either. Once I get my cart skill over 7 naturally then I can consider removing the shoes.
Kyote
Jaesun
Senior Steward

Post by Jaesun »

Fleisch wrote:No, it's just a magical glimpse, like looking into a crystal ball; it doesn't actually write anything to your map. I think it would be a poor and unbalancing choice to give you a map for a few easily refillable mana points that would cost many precious skill points to get.
100% agree.
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

Ah, I think I get the message now -- you're saying that when the spell wears off, the map is WORSE than it was when you originally wrote it, using your skill-boosting sandals -- it reverted to the way it would have been if you had written it without the sandals.
Kyote
Apprentice

Post by Kyote »

Yes, but only parts I walk across without the sandals. But it's the same with the spell as well.

You cast the spell and it improves your cart skill for a few rounds and where you walk your map is a little better than without the spell. But if you let the spell run out then walk back over the spot again it re-draws the map with the poorer skill.

I just think that once the map is drawn, at whatever level the skill is at, it should remain there. Unless the skill improves that is. After all you wouldn't go back over a good map and have a child draw it then use the childs map. You'd use the better drawn map.

As I've said it's no biggie now. I just thought it was a bug since no one in their right mind would go back and make their maps worse intentionally. And now I've removed the scout sandals as well since my skill is over 7 and my maps will either stay the same now or get better as I improve my abilities.
Kyote
Josia
Senior Steward

Post by Josia »

Is Cartography from boosted effects (e.g. Scout's Sandles, Reveal Map) still being overwritten in 1.02? I don't see anything mentioned in the change lists for either 1.01 or 1.02 but my Cartography doesn't seem to be getting overwritten anymore.
Josia
Senior Steward

Post by Josia »

Josia wrote:Is Cartography from boosted effects (e.g. Scout's Sandles, Reveal Map) still being overwritten in 1.02? I don't see anything mentioned in the change lists for either 1.01 or 1.02 but my Cartography doesn't seem to be getting overwritten anymore.
Okay, on further experimentation, it is overwriting itself. However, since my base Cartography is low (1), it's only overwriting the pieces of the map that would normally be written with a skill of 1, aka basic borders are being redrawn in brown.

Everything else seems to remain, though.
Forest
Initiate

Post by Forest »

I have to agree with Asharak and Kyote.
That Cartography realization makes Cartography spell almost useless :(