really considering getting this, advice requested

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
litch
Pledge

really considering getting this, advice requested

Post by litch »

My friend kept linking it to me via the steam page and I honestly was not turned on by the graphics. Then in an RPG thread some one recommended it. Lo and behold, the demos not that bad. Ive decided after reading a few posts that if I did get the game I would want to play as a mage. Any tips for playing a pure elemental mage? I saw the 14/14 int/per (or was that concentration?) in another thread. Any others?

Also, the same friend that kept showing this to me is still waiting for his copy in the mail, he got it off amazon.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: really considering getting this, advice requested

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

litch wrote:My friend kept linking it to me via the steam page and I honestly was not turned on by the graphics. Then in an RPG thread some one recommended it. Lo and behold, the demos not that bad. Ive decided after reading a few posts that if I did get the game I would want to play as a mage. Any tips for playing a pure elemental mage? I saw the 14/14 int/per (or was that concentration?) in another thread. Any others?

Also, the same friend that kept showing this to me is still waiting for his copy in the mail, he got it off amazon.
Ask your friend to send us a link. I am not aware of our product being available on Amazon.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Strategy Central has some links to topics on how to build characters including the elemental mage. The Book 1 version is pretty powerful, but suffers from a low regeneration rate for mana so alchemy to make mana potions is very useful.
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... f=3&t=4259
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

The easiest way to set up an Elemental Mage is to press F3 on the Create Character screen. BW has 5 presets ready to go. If you have something more personalized in mind, you can at least use that skill set as a guide.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I never liked playing as a mage much, though trust me on this - Supernova is worth being a mage for. I can't give you many tips, but I extremely suggest you buy this game - purely awesome. My all time favorite SP RPG.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
litch
Pledge

Post by litch »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: Ask your friend to send us a link. I am not aware of our product being available on Amazon.
K So I was wrong and it was a diffrent game that was also offered on steam

On a good note, I bought book 1 and 2 during the big summer sale and Im getting into book one now. Im about level 3 or 4 I think. My two biggest gripes - movement speed and the dungeon disease, the one that slows mana and health regen. Its about 90 gold right now for one potion to cure it or trying to camp endlessly to get my health and mana back to 100% then talking to the healer to cure the disease and nothing else for 50g.

Other then those two things im enjoying it so far.

Im working on the mage and Im just wondering, when should I stop putting points into arcane:elemental and start working on something else? Same with alchemy, how high is high enough for that? Im thinking that after I get those two high enough I might dip into the divine skill a bit just so I can get cure disease or put a few points into merchant and/or cartography. Advice?
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Cartography is extremely useful, so I would get that. I believe level 12 alchemy is when you can make all the highest stuff, but I'm not quite sure on that.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Ive only put in about 30 hrs across 3 toons but lvl 15 is master alchemy according to a manual i just found.

Youll be able to create cure disease pots for less than 90 gold when you find the books. Id guess there is a list somewhere, that someone put together.

There is a skill that ups your mana regen massively but i cannot recall the name of the skill. Its essential for a mage IMO.

Ive basically created a paladin for my main toon right now. Lots of points in STR and WIS, some in DEX as youll never be able to hit anything if you dont it seems. (until you start finding the +to hit items and skill books)

this game has more depth than some of the newer, fancy graphic games published nowadays.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
litch
Pledge

Post by litch »

So at what point though should I stop putting points into my elemental skills?
Tarsul
Pledge

Post by Tarsul »

i just finished with a char who started as mage but in the end used melee and bow very often...

but still i think elemental on level 17 is enough, if you get equipment with +3 elemental, that is.

because when you have 20 elemental, you can cast those spells that cost 6 per level on level 6 and those that cost 10 per level on level 3 (well, i never used supernova, but in the end you can always just cast the spells more often instead of investing too much points in the skill to cast it on a higher level...)