Is it possible to translate english to korean?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
sarancha
Pledge

Is it possible to translate english to korean?

Post by sarancha »

English is not my native language. Sorry for that.

I just bought this game. I know that english scripts in this game isn't difficult to understand. But I just wonder that it is possible to translate english text to other language(ex. korean).

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by sarancha on May 3rd, 2011, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Is it possible to translate english to korean?

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

For Book II, some of the fan community was helping with translations (though I don't know if any have been completed), but the way that Book I was built, it cannot be translated without rewriting much of the game. Sorry.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
sarancha
Pledge

Post by sarancha »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:For Book II, some of the fan community was helping with translations (though I don't know if any have been completed), but the way that Book I was built, it cannot be translated without rewriting much of the game. Sorry.
Thanks for replying of my question. Anyway This game is really good to me. I really want to play game like this.
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

I wanted to translate both book I and II into Japanese but the game engine doesn't like east asian characters, I imagine this includes Korean. I'm not feeling too hopefull for book III either
sarancha
Pledge

Post by sarancha »

geishaboy wrote:I wanted to translate both book I and II into Japanese but the game engine doesn't like east asian characters, I imagine this includes Korean. I'm not feeling too hopefull for book III either
So many western pc games were launched in korea. But just a little bit games released with korean language. Then many korean communities tried to translate english version to korean as an unofficial korean patch and I wanted to try to do like these games but I knew that's impossible. I hope that it could be possible for the future basilisk games.
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

sarancha wrote:
geishaboy wrote:I wanted to translate both book I and II into Japanese but the game engine doesn't like east asian characters, I imagine this includes Korean. I'm not feeling too hopefull for book III either
So many western pc games were launched in korea. But just a little bit games released with korean language. Then many korean communities tried to translate english version to korean as an unofficial korean patch and I wanted to try to do like these games but I knew that's impossible. I hope that it could be possible for the future basilisk games.
I hope so too.

BW are you listening?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

If I knew I could recoup the cost, I would have it professionally translated. However, it is very costly to have a professional localization service translate your product.

I probably just need to gamble it and have the game professionally translated, and see how many copies it sells.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:If I knew I could recoup the cost, I would have it professionally translated. However, it is very costly to have a professional localization service translate your product.

I probably just need to gamble it and have the game professionally translated, and see how many copies it sells.
Did I forget to mention that I work as a professional translator?

However the translation isn't the issue, it's getting the game to display east Asian characters.

Is it possible to tweak the engine in an update to make it possible? or would it require a lot more work/engine re-writing?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

geishaboy wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:If I knew I could recoup the cost, I would have it professionally translated. However, it is very costly to have a professional localization service translate your product.

However the translation isn't the issue, it's getting the game to display east Asian characters.

Is it possible to tweak the engine in an update to make it possible? or would it require a lot more work/engine re-writing?
That depends. As long as the language we are translating to reads left-to-right, top to bottom, then yes I think it would be possible to translate to it. We would just need to license a font that supports that specific language's character set.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
geishaboy wrote:

That depends. As long as the language we are translating to reads left-to-right, top to bottom, then yes I think it would be possible to translate to it. We would just need to license a font that supports that specific language's character set.
I see, well for what it's worth both Japanese and Korean read left to right, top to bottom. Also could you not simply use a freeware font? I have seen a fedw decent Japanese ones about.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Geishaboy,

Most freeware fonts are for "non-commercial use only." Legally speaking, he can't just stick one in without opening himself up to problems that require lawyers. That just raises the cost of everything and would really delay the announcement on Book III. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
geishaboy
Marshall

Post by geishaboy »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Geishaboy,

Most freeware fonts are for "non-commercial use only." Legally speaking, he can't just stick one in without opening himself up to problems that require lawyers. That just raises the cost of everything and would really delay the announcement on Book III. ;-)
Figures. It's a shame but I guess it can't be helped.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I checked out the licenses on some of the Korean fonts in Ubuntu, and found at least one that's compatible with commercial use, called Baekmuk. The license is BSD-style, so all that would be required use it with Eschalon is to include its copyright notice.

See (in Korean) http://kldp.net/projects/baekmuk

There are likely to be similar ones available for other popular non-western character sets.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

There's a game where you use Google or another translation service to go from one language to another and then back to the original language to see how distorted the meaning becomes. It can produces some strange results.