jaded gamer seeks info on good rpgs . . .

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Ladez
Apprentice

Re: jaded gamer seeks info on good rpgs . . .

Post by Ladez »

Last edited by Ladez on May 10th, 2013, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CycyX
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by CycyX »

Have you tried Arcanum ?
fudgemaster
Apprentice

Post by fudgemaster »

Diablo II is an action RPG but it is deep and interesting.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

fudgemaster wrote:Diablo II is an action RPG but it is deep and interesting.
"Deep"? Diablo = deep? You're joking right? Right?

Anyhow... I agree with CycyX on Arcanum. Arcanum and Planescape. All the praises people give Planescape are deserved... it truly is completely unique (not to mention extraordinarily well-written) and it aims to be from the beginning -- there's even some sarcasm, in the game, toward various aspects of the traditional 'rpg'... and combat is not really necessary, and unlike nearly all RPG's: strength and dexterity are not the most important attributes.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Dont feel bad about not finishing RPGs, I think I finish about 30% of those that I start. I think there are a few different reasons for this;

1) They take a dam long time to finish, 40 hours are the shorter ones..

2) I find that starting a game and being introduced the world and the gameplay in the best part and after a while you get to the point where it starts to feel like you have seen it all.

3) I have a full time job, and a baby so times is limited:)

I would second the recommendations for Divine Divinity and Fallout.
Discoveria
Initiate

Post by Discoveria »

I second the recommendations for Fallout and Morrowind. I'm really only interested in the long-term outcome of a game - my memory of the storyline, as long as the gameplay is interesting enough. Morrowind I can heartily recommend for the depth of the game world (history, politics, geography etc.). With Fallout I started with Fallout 3, which plays like Oblivion but with a post-apocalyptic setting - but again I feel the storyline is classic and well worth exploring.

For something slightly different but also part of the RPG genre, I'd also recommend Deus Ex, which has a story second only to Morrowind. It's a sci-fi setting so no goblins and wizards for you :) Deus Ex 2 is also good, not as good as [Deus Ex 1] but more immersive with bigger stakes, in my opinion. You should find it fits your "fairly mature" criterion.
dmpunks
Pledge

Post by dmpunks »

Just installed Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and I'm surprised by how much fun I'm having in this CRPG adaptation of White Wolf's pen and paper game. That's something considering I loathed the annoying angstiness of the RPG rulebooks and the whole "I'm immortal and I've got superpowers and woe is me!" premise. Oh and dice pools. :mrgreen:

You'd have to get the ultimate fan-made mods that fixes the game though, as Troika went under and stopped supporting the game long before it became stable enough... it's playing perfectly on well on my Vista laptop at the moment though.