looking for a good paladin build

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
dogeddie
Fellowcraft Apprentice

looking for a good paladin build

Post by dogeddie »

Anyone have advice on building an effective paladin? I am looking at mainly pumping up Endurance and Perception, with a bit of Strength and Wisdom as needed. Also raising up Blunt Weapons. Thanks

Am i further ahead raising Blunt Weapons or Strength to raise my damage output?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: looking for a good paladin build

Post by SpottedShroom »

Strength is only useful to increase carrying capacity, which you mostly only need if you want to use heavy armor. Light armor is almost as good, and much lighter and cheaper. I'd put most of my stat points into Endurance for max HP and HP regen rate. Depending on how much magic you want to use, Perception is also good for max MP and MP regen rate.

The main way to increase damage is to pump your weapon skill. Bludgeoning is fine, but there are several free high-quality swords available in the game, so you might consider that instead.
dogeddie
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by dogeddie »

Thanks for the clear tips. :D Does one need to pump alot into ranged weapons to make bows effective? Wondering if raising my Arcane and blasting distant targets with spells might be more effective and a more efficient use of points.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

dogeddie wrote:Thanks for the clear tips. :D Does one need to pump alot into ranged weapons to make bows effective? Wondering if raising my Arcane and blasting distant targets with spells might be more effective and a more efficient use of points.
Well, it kind of depends on where you need to put points based on what kind of character you want to play. Rangers need lots of dexterity, and Mages need lots of perception. If you are into Pick Locks, for example, any points you put into dexterity will help with both that plus your bow skills.

Wish I could be more specific. That said, a fighter who doesn't also know a little magic is going to have a tougher time of it than one who can "switch hit."
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Pick one type of offense: bows, melee, or magic; and stick to it. Being sort of okay at two of those is way less helpful than being really good at one. Of those three, I would consider bows to be the easiest (but arrow supply can be a problem) and magic the hardest.

Even if you pick bows or melee, It's a helpful to learn some magic, too, just probably not damage spells.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

As a paladin, the divination spells are useful to buff your character before a fight with strength and/or dexterity. The elemental spell predator sight is really useful for an archer in the dark since you can't use a torch with a bow. Most of these are low level spells so you won't need to invest a lot to get them and you can swap items to cast the spells before a fight.
dogeddie
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by dogeddie »

Is there a way to increase my "To Hit" probability besides cranking up Dexterity? It's hovering around the low 50s range.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Depending upon the weapon you can increase weapon skill, dexterity, certain items and enchantments to increase chance to hit. That is why mages have it easier since spells always hit but can be resisted.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I guess if you just want a minimalist answer, my advice would be to go with "Fire Dart" for your ranged weapon. If you opt for bows and arrows, you are at a distinct disadvantage if you don't have Predator Sight as an Elemental Skill. Those darn dungeons keep causing vision problems because they are so dark.

So, you can basically be a Sword guy and have a mage skill for your ranged weapon backup. It isn't a bad way to go.

If you do it that way you can also carry a shield. Bows and arrows don't work with shields.............
dogeddie
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by dogeddie »

I thought shields didn't work well with spells?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Shields are heavy and you can only cast spells when the total weight of items in your hands (shields, gloves, rings, weapons) is less than one fifth of your total carry capacity. If you are strong enough than you could use a shield.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

The weight restriction for spell casting is still less onerous that trying to switch from a sword (or axe) and shield to a bow. In the later case you have to switch out the melee weapon and put the shield into your inventory. That costs you two rounds during battle.

Oh, and by the way, you can't carry a torch if you have both a primary weapon and a shield equipped. However, you can cast Cat's Eye or Predator Sight and still have both hands full.......
dogeddie
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by dogeddie »

Thanks for the good info :)
Sameen Shah
Initiate

Post by Sameen Shah »

I think spells are effective rather carrying weight
I love to work online
USB flash drive
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Didnt read the whole thing but one thing to remember is

if you dont have enough str, you CANNOT cast spells on the fly. You become encumbered and the "somatic" components dont allow you to cast when enemies or NPCS are around.

My build is this at lvl 9

str-29
int-12
dex-19
wis-20
end-20
per-14
speed-8
con-7

skills--sword(add in bludgeoning if you like)-14
divination-12
Heavy armor-12
(the rest assorted pertaining to skill books and money i felt like spending)

I took shields but it hampers ability to carry torches or cast(because of added weight i mentioned) so ill prob add that in later, or not at all. (skill is at 2 for shields at the moment.)

One other skill id consider is meditation, it speeds up mana regen. but at this point, i found hitting things is better than using spells. I generally just bless myself, sometimes cats eye as you get to use darkness as a cover, enemies do not, and heal myself.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.