latest version?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
dickesKind
Initiate

latest version?

Post by dickesKind »

Hello everybody,

a friend presented me Eschalon Book I via Steam. In the steam community forums I read that steam is not so fast with providing the latest version. So I wanted to know if it is right that 1.04 is the latest version of Book I?

Regards...
noname
Marshall

Re: latest version?

Post by noname »

No, there is a 1.06 version.
dickesKind
Initiate

Post by dickesKind »

Hey dude,

thanks!
I just checked back and I seem to have version 1.05.
So how can I patch my game? I read something in this forum that Basilisk games does not use patches.
So what? :cry:
Its not cool that I got bought a game and cannot update it.

Regards...

Ps: There is also no entry in the support forum here mentioning is a 1.06 version. The latest pinned thread is about 1.04. Why?
dickesKind
Initiate

Post by dickesKind »

It was said on September 3, 2010: "We are sending these updates out to our distributors (Steam, Direct2Drive, Impulse, etc.) tonight. They will have their versions updated in a few days if you bought your copy through them."

I did not have "...experienced any crashes or glitches..." but I think the latest version should always be available for everyone. As a steam user I feel ... not cool :P
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Unfortunately, Thomas (or any other small developer) has no control over when Steam updates the files they send to their users. The best he can do is send in the updates to Steam and then ask end users to bug them to get things updated. I'm not sure that there's much in the 1.06 version except some fixes for unusual behavior on the Mac platform (but somebody else may remember more).

In other words, complaining here that Steam is not sending you the latest version is not going to do you any good. You have to ask them to update their files.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I'm not sure that there's much in the 1.06 version except some fixes for unusual behavior on the Mac platform (but somebody else may remember more).
Yeah, looks like it's pretty minor: http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book- ... -available

If 1.05 works fine for you, don't worry about not having 1.06.
dickesKind
Initiate

Post by dickesKind »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote: In other words, complaining here that Steam is not sending you the latest version is not going to do you any good. You have to ask them to update their files.
With all due respect, if a company makes a contract with another one - especially concerning software - it should take care, that the distributing company always offers the lastest version.
Something like this must be fixed in a contract. Why does it work with all those "top" titles, like Call of Duty, Battlefield and so on? You get the latest version MINUTES after the latest patch.
Basilisk Games and any other software company should insist on this.
So in the end I think there was not enough "pressure" from Basilisk Games, though I have to admit, that I really don't know anything about the "business". I just think its common sense that it should go like this.

Regards...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

dickesKind wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote: In other words, complaining here that Steam is not sending you the latest version is not going to do you any good. You have to ask them to update their files.
With all due respect, if a company makes a contract with another one - especially concerning software - it should take care, that the distributing company always offers the lastest version.
Something like this must be fixed in a contract. Why does it work with all those "top" titles, like Call of Duty, Battlefield and so on? You get the latest version MINUTES after the latest patch.
Basilisk Games and any other software company should insist on this.
So in the end I think there was not enough "pressure" from Basilisk Games, though I have to admit, that I really don't know anything about the "business". I just think its common sense that it should go like this.

Regards...
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

With all due respect, the truest statement you made there is that you don't understand the business. Ask yourself a question: Mike Tyson and some other guy come to you in whatever your business is and INSIST that you deal with their problem RIGHT NOW. Who are you really going to make sure gets treated well and quickly? AAA titles make millions of dollars, Basilisk Games' titles not so much. There is an unequal power relationship in both cases, and Basilisk and other independent game companies with one or two niche games are on the very back end of that relationship. Steam couldn't care less if they lose BW's business. The only thing that has power in that case is their relationship with their end users. YOU insisting to Steam that you'd like the latest update has a lot more clout than Thomas insisting that they update his files right now.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
dickesKind
Initiate

Post by dickesKind »

Well, you can take your "HAHAHAHAHA..." and put it ... somewhere.
As a customer I just tried to tell Basilisk Games what I expect. I also mentioned that this is just my own opinion.
And as a customer who - or who's friend - has to go to work to be able to buy Eschalon, I am of course in the position to criticize what I get for my money. If the quality of what I buy in a upermarket is not ok, of course I'll not blame the supermarket but the producer.

Regards...
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

dickesKind wrote: And as a customer who - or who's friend - has to go to work to be able to buy Eschalon, I am of course in the position to criticize what I get for my money.
You have the right to vote with your money, of course, and to make requests of the companies you do business with. In this case, though, your requests seem out of line with what a company the size of Basilisk Games can reasonably be expected to do.

If you're not willing to settle for a slightly bumpier customer experience than you might expect from the Biowares and Bethesdas of the world, you might be happier sticking to games from those kinds of companies.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

If you buy the game directly from Basilisk Games than you can get the updates as soon as they are done. Saving money by buying the game elsewhere means you have to put up with whatever schedule they decide on and they will update games that make them the most money as opposed to a company that wants to please its own customers.