Thanks for the Great Games

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Castruccio
Initiate

Thanks for the Great Games

Post by Castruccio »

Hi All,

I am a big Soldak fan who heard about Books I and II on the Soldak forums and decided to give them a go in the latest Steam sale. After having put some time into Book One, I can say that I am very impressed. The passion and love with which these games have been crafted is evident from the very beginning.

Thanks so much for these great games, and keep them coming! I also want to say that I like Basilisk-crafted games much better than Spiderweb Software crafted ones. Basilisk games seem to be much better at setting the fantasy RPG mood than Spiderweb games (perhaps because Basilisk games have such great music).

One day maybe Basilisk could do a turn-based old school RPG with procedurally generated levels and quests like Soldak games have. Since Eschalon is tile-based, it seems like it should be possible to have randomly configured dungeons and outdoor environments. That would be an incredible blending of the ideas of two great indie RPG devs, and it would lend Basilisk games even more replay value than they already have.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Thanks for the Great Games

Post by SpottedShroom »

Castruccio wrote: I am a big Soldak fan who heard about Books I and II on the Soldak forums and decided to give them a go in the latest Steam sale. After having put some time into Book One, I can say that I am very impressed. The passion and love with which these games have been crafted is evident from the very beginning.
I hope you check out Book II next - it's even better!
One day maybe Basilisk could do a turn-based old school RPG with procedurally generated levels and quests like Soldak games have. Since Eschalon is tile-based, it seems like it should be possible to have randomly configured dungeons and outdoor environments. That would be an incredible blending of the ideas of two great indie RPG devs, and it would lend Basilisk games even more replay value than they already have.
Our own xolotl maintains a suite of editors for Eschalon at http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/. I've thought about writing a level generator based on that code, but have been too lazy thus far. There's supposed to be an official editor as part of the Book III release, too, which might make such a thing easier.
Castruccio
Initiate

Re: Thanks for the Great Games

Post by Castruccio »

I just finished Book I and I enjoyed it very much. I played a healer/swordsman combo which seemed to work out well. People say the healer class is the hardest to play but I found his stat buffs to be very powerful. The only real complaints I have about the game have already been voiced on these forums. The walking speed is too slow and the day/night cycle is too fast. I also wish there were more than 10 spell hotkeys available, especially since most of the keyboard is unused for the game.

In all, Book I was a wonderful experience and I have already purchased Book II. I look forward to playing it later this year!