Require some advice on making char

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Require some advice on making char

Post by deathknight1728 »

I have played a bit of the game, however not enough to know a decent amount. I am thinking on making a hybrid character. I would like to focus on 1-cleaving weapons as i know that daggers get no bonus, 2-Move Silently as in the past hide in shadows has never helped me, 3-Dodge-This one's weird but its helped me a lot, ill get it and leave it at 10, 4-Pick locks-This one's obvious, 5-?

Besides armor, which im leaving at 1 point, I cant seem to figure another skill to help with that combo. Should i just focus on those 4 skills so i am less of a jack of all trades or should i put points into something else. I thought of using priest spells but ill only do that if the spells can help with my damage of weapons. Im not going to be casting mage spells or shooting fireballs. Would anyone have any recommendations, Ive played eschalon book 2 before and this game a bit.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Require some advice on making char

Post by Randomizer »

Hide in Shadows works wonders in Book 1 as long as you don't mind fighting in the dark. Just a few levels and at night as long as you have that status the monsters won't attack you. It works better than invisibility.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Still Slow

Its sad to say, but after almost 2 years these games still runs slow. I installed the new patch and everything and my character is slow outside, fast inside. Its really unexplainable. You shouldnt need a rocket computer to run graphics like these, its common sense. There's really not much to say, other than they have to fix this for book 3.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Book 2 fixed most of the slowness except in a few heavily populated places in town.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Just so i know, are there any things i can do to make the game run faster, in the preferences/game settings. I lowered the graphic detail that the game gives but its still not enough. Ill do anything to get this to play, aside from getting a new system. Any info would be great.

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

deathknight1728 wrote:Just so i know, are there any things i can do to make the game run faster, in the preferences/game settings. I lowered the graphic detail that the game gives but its still not enough. Ill do anything to get this to play, aside from getting a new system. Any info would be great.
Try running the game in 16-bit mode.

If on Windows, switch between DirectX and OpenGL modes.

Always make sure your computer drivers & OS is up-to-date. Make sure you are not running a lot of extras in the background (such as a flash-heavy web page) while the game is running.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
deathknight1728 wrote:Just so i know, are there any things i can do to make the game run faster, in the preferences/game settings. I lowered the graphic detail that the game gives but its still not enough. Ill do anything to get this to play, aside from getting a new system. Any info would be great.
Try running the game in 16-bit mode.

If on Windows, switch between DirectX and OpenGL modes.

Always make sure your computer drivers & OS is up-to-date. Make sure you are not running a lot of extras in the background (such as a flash-heavy web page) while the game is running.

I just tried all that, still no luck. I hate to say it, but the game has some rare abnormalities. Im not trying to sound mean, but the game is running graphics that are from 10 years ago. I dont care about the graphics, but if a computer from now cant run graphics like this 150%, then thats insane. I know im not the only one, so i will hope that you fix this problem in book 3.

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

While the graphic style harkens back to past decades, that doesn't mean it's going to be easy for all modern systems to run, particularly if you're using a machine with an Intel chip with integrated graphics. They're the exact opposite of optimized for sprite-based graphics.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
SigilFey
Initiate

Post by SigilFey »

I'll take a stab here and also mention that the game utilizes processor power much more than graphics power. In fact, as there are not even 3D effects in the game, the processor is basically required to carry the full load. And there is quite a bit of calculation going on behind the scenes with detection radius, skill calculations, light values, script flags, etc. per character

No surprise that my poor, little 1.6 Ghz Atom netbook runs the game in slow motion.