stone golem

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Snonskoid
Apprentice

Re: stone golem

Post by Snonskoid »

I came to realise that too many kegs lying around could be as bad as too few!
I spent ages arranging the kegs along the corridors only for Nasty to run away and regenerate as soon as he saw them.
So instead, I put them all in the caves and the crystal room, and actually carried them towards him, and then dropped them (right against the darker wall,) as he came for me. You can get two together sometimes, but no more. Retreated, blew the kegs and ran back for more as he kept coming forwards.
Crucial spells/ potions; haste and invisibility.
I blew myself up more than once!
:oops:
HeavyP04
Initiate

Post by HeavyP04 »

Lightzy wrote:The only real problem was the golem.. So I set a death gauntlet for it.

I moved the barrels to the corridor where it can chase you, and I spaced the barrels so that every 2 golem moves I can use 1 arrow to explode 2 barrels (I was also short on arrows) which will both hit the golem.. sometimes 3 is possible too, but it's some luck then.
Never actually hit the golem itself or used the plasma rod.
This is what I did. Figured out that he wouldn't walk through the pairs of barrels I set up, but he'd walk up to them before turning around, so I just waited until he walked up to a pair and popped 'em. I only lost one barrel in the blasting charge storage room, so I had a LONG gauntlet of DOOOOOOM set up for him.....and it only ended up taking 5 pairs of barrels to kill him. Ah well. I would have loved to have taken some of those out with me, but I was already going to have to cherry-pick my Fathamurk loot (I may be strong as an Ox and can cast Ogre Strength, but ~700 lbs is too much for even me to carry. :cry: ) so I had to leave them behind. On an unrelated note, I hope nobody lights a cigarette near my cottage, otherwise the whole town of Eastwillow is going to become a crater.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Just played through again with a pretty powerful mage character, and the golem was pretty easy this time. About 8-9 hits with Ice Lance at level 6 took care of him!
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
ErlingBiggs
Pledge

Post by ErlingBiggs »

What I did almost killed him with one shot. I lured him to his second right turn out of his starting area.

Then I made walls I could run through, but he doesn't approach. This requires giving him a swipe at you, but you can heal all you want once you get him trapped.
Attachments
g1.gif
g1.gif (4.12 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
g2.gif
g2.gif (4.72 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
g3.gif
g3.gif (4.64 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
Last edited by ErlingBiggs on January 23rd, 2011, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ErlingBiggs
Pledge

Post by ErlingBiggs »

Then I just moved the barrels closer, and filled in around him.
Attachments
g4.gif
g4.gif (4.64 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
g5.gif
g5.gif (4.52 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
g6.gif
g6.gif (4.82 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
ErlingBiggs
Pledge

Post by ErlingBiggs »

Then I added more around the outside, and retreated behind one more that will finish him off if the first blast doesn't kill him.
Attachments
g7.gif
g7.gif (4.97 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
g8.gif
g8.gif (6.2 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
Scotia
Initiate

Post by Scotia »

If you don't want to use the plasma wand or have no barrels left over from the explosion room, and you have ranged weapons, lure him into the big center area with the globe, then retreat into one of the smaller corridors to the west, into which he can't fit. He'll mill around, and you can still shoot him while you're protected by the corridor. It took my L20 Ranger about 24 arrows to kill him on Power Strike, even though he regenerated HP constantly.
sh4dow
Apprentice

Post by sh4dow »

so... is there any way to get out of fathamurk without killing that guy?
because i am severely underpowered, even though everything up to him felt like a breeze in comparison...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

sh4dow wrote:so... is there any way to get out of fathamurk without killing that guy?
because i am severely underpowered, even though everything up to him felt like a breeze in comparison...
No. Hopefully you have enough explosive barrels left in the storeroom because you need something he drops in order to get out.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
sh4dow
Apprentice

Post by sh4dow »

no... there are just four left -_-
guess i can only load a savegame before that and forget it ever happened -_-
Dbx
Pledge

Post by Dbx »

So after much mind twisting i finally figured out that i had to place a powder keg at the sw corner in the gem room for him to not get close enough, i pressed space a couple times to check if he would stay in place, he was walking 3 tiles in a different pattern, but always visible to me, i used 17 of those unique arrows and a couple +2 arrows, used predators sight spell, bless, nimbleness, haste, and keensight potions. i had a total of 33 arrows left when i got to him. first time here with my second character, a lvl 16 ranger - very nice dungeon and loads of treasure! :twisted:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Dbx wrote:very nice dungeon and loads of treasure! :twisted:
Yeah, I always struggle with the decision of which bits of treasure to carry out since there's so much stuff I can't take it all. I haul all the stuff down in trips and stockpile it to sort through. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.