Avadon The Black Fortress.

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Avadon The Black Fortress.

Post by blatherbeard »

I Know theres probably a thread on it already, but has anyone bought this game? Ive seen some references to it in other, older posts, but couldnt find a thread on it within the last 3 or 4 pages.

Looks pretty old skool with ultima--ish graphics and sounds like a cool storyline with some decent game mechanics.

Anyone?
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: Avadon The Black Fortress.

Post by Dragonlady »

Yes, some of us have bought it. There is a subject on this furthur down the page this subject is on. "Avadon & Escalon" is the title. Some of the people here even worked on the Beta form of Avadon & other Spiderweb Games.

I haven't finished it yet. Got sick and then decided it was a mite too structured for me so I only play it when I get really bored. :wink:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

The biggest complaint against it is that it's very linear for a Spiderweb game. You get sent on specific missions and new areas to explore only open up after you talk to the right people.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I liked Avadon a lot. It definitely plays a little differently than the other SpiderWeb games, but that can be part of the fun.

I decided to get better acquainted with the SW games and started on Geneforge I a few months ago. It's a terrific series. I'm currently on G3 for the second time (first was a loyalist, now I'm a rebel). Great stuff.......
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Thanks all, ive read the other thread as well.

Looks like ill have to invest some money in spiderweb games next paycheck and check out some of their others as well.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

You might want to wait until the October Sadness Sale when Jeff offers a discount on all his games. Some of the older games have extremely large demos to play while you wait.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Yeah, im finding that out even with Avadon, man its got me hooked already so ill definitely be grabbing that one. And i usually hate party type rpgs.well, not hate but i prefer solo'ers, this ones one of the better group type for sure, and im only about an hour in.

Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

blatherbeard wrote:Yeah, im finding that out even with Avadon, man its got me hooked already so ill definitely be grabbing that one. And i usually hate party type rpgs.well, not hate but i prefer solo'ers, this ones one of the better group type for sure, and im only about an hour in.
I agree with you about preferring to play solo, which is probably why I was so hooked by Eschalon within about 5 minutes of starting Book I.

With Spiderweb's Geneforge series you can play solo or with "creations." I played the first game with the creations, but have since switched to solo. It's really nice to be able to have it your own way..........
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

You can play Avadon solo, but it's harder since you don't get the advantage of extra experience.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Oh yeah, im hooked. Took me more than 4 to 5 hours just to get out of the castle.

bought it today.

Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Been playing this game lately, seems pretty good. I agree its not as wide open as other spiderweb games, feels more like Baldur's gate II style but I do like the animations and graphical improvements. Seems like the areas are still filled with interesting stuff to explore and there is some choices and consequences as well.

Seems to be lots of unpickable locks though, I have been able to open some of them but not all of them oh well. Are there hidden keys somewhere I am missing or what?

Looking forward bigtime to playing the upgraded versions of the Avernum games with this engine!!!!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

There are runed blocked door that will have a key available later in the game. Some doors are opened after events as rewards. A few like in Beraza Woods in the training lodge never open.

If you have a shadowwalker or sorceress at level 4 for locksmith or charm locks there are eventually enough lock picks in the game to get open everything.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

I found that avadon was a very enjoyable experience that in a way should be how jeff makes his new game series like he did with avernum. Everything was much more simplified which is great.

I long for when jeff does that with the geneforge series. While the series is great, i find that geneforge 4 and 5 are the ones i play the most.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum