New Game+ ??

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

New Game+ ??

Post by CrazyBernie »

Call me silly, and maybe I've been playing too much Dead Space and the like, but I think it would be a cool feature.

For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, New Game+ (or New Game Plus) means once you beat the game, you can restart from the beginning with your current character/stats/equipment.

There could be a couple of ways to handle this:

1. Only allow the character(s) that finished the game to use the New Game+ mode
2. Once the game is beaten, the New Game+ mode can be used to create a new character that starts at the highest level the game was completed at

This would enhance the replayability, as well as encourage people to complete the game at least once. For those hardcore players, an extra difficulty mode could be introduced that toughens up the enemies to keep things interesting, and maybe some special items/weapons/armor would only drop in the NG+ mode. It would also give the opportunity to experiment with some crazy gameplay ideas that you might not implement in a regular run-through.

I guess the biggest concern with something like this would be the impact on programming and the editing tools... it might have to be relegated to something a bit more simple that what I've imagined to be able to implement without consuming a large amount of development time.

Thoughts?
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Re: New Game+ ??

Post by Necromis »

couldn't you just bump up everything by a certain factor to meet the higher level character, so that the starting rats and such are the same match for the high level as they were for the first level, and then scale everyone else accordingly. Say some factor of 10 or something. Could actually have a whole new list of items/monsters. If the stats are stored in a DB the plus game could just access a hardcore DB vs the normal play thru DB.
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Yeah - like Neoquest (Oh yeah - I still play that), after you kill the main boss, you go through and play the entire game again, but your character is just as good, then again, for the real boss.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

I actually like this idea. Maybe this mode would have more (and harder) enemies.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Ill throw my hat into loving this idea.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Yeah, this would be fun. People are evidently already doing it by removing all the map files from their save, so why not make it official?

For extra craziness, allow people to play in harder enemies mode on the first play through!
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

yeah actually this will be a good idea > i'm surprised no body thought about it before
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless