mobile app please!

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
mph66
Apprentice

mobile app please!

Post by mph66 »

I would love to play the Eschalon series on my iPod Touch or my iPad. My biggest request? Map-building tools and a way to run fan-made missions. I used to play "Thief: The Dark Project" and I think fan missions gave that game a 2nd, 3rd, and ....zillionth life.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: mobile app please!

Post by KillingMoon »

It has always been the developer's plan to include an editor in Book III. Let's just hope he succeeds with that!

To port the game to other media types will probably not happen. There have been similar requests, I believe the developer answered that porting the game to other formats means - among other things - re-writing all the code, with of course no guarantee that the investment will pay for itself.
Big game companies will have the resources to do this, and a bigger share of the market means that it's financially a safer thing to do for them.
Basilisk Games is basically one person with some help, this makes it much less attractive to do this kind of thing. I'm sure BasiliskWrangler would love to do it, but being small and independent means you'll often have to take different paths and refrain from doing things that are normal for big companies.
fudgemaster
Apprentice

Re: mobile app please!

Post by fudgemaster »

BW's quote:
We would love to support iPad/iPhone/Android. But, it's not going to happen with Eschalon. The language used to make the game simply doesn't have the proper libraries needed to port the game to those platforms.

However, Book III is the final game using this engine. The new game which we are scheduled to begin production on after Book III is something completely new, with a brand new engine that will support those platforms.
I'm excited for his future projects going on the mobile platforms.