Cleric build questions

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Minsk
Apprentice

Cleric build questions

Post by Minsk »

Hi !

I started playing Book I yesterday with a cleric build i originally wanted to use in Book II but with the game on sale at Steam i bought Book I too and started it first...

My Cleric (lvl 2):

ATTRIBUTES:
I concentrated on:
Wisdom 19
Strengh 18
Perception 15
Concentration 15

I think i will also use some more points for DEX (currrently 11) and INT, is this correct ?

SKILLS:
I learned:
Divination (Main Skill)
Bludgeoning Weapons (Second Main Skill)
Light Armor
Heavy Armor
Alchemy
Meditation
Cartography

I already invested some more points in Divination & Bludgeoning Weapons while reaching lvl 2.
I think i should only use points for Divination, Bludgeoning Weapons and one of the Armor skills (which one ?) from now on and use books/trainers for the other skills.
Is this correct ?

I want to play a cleric which fights mainly with his melee weapon and uses divination magic to heal/boost himselfe.

Thanks for your help !
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Cleric build questions

Post by Randomizer »

I don't think more armor skills really helps, but it's been a long time since I played Book 1. You can wait some on Divination for now and increase Bludgeoning skill to do more damage and hit better.

You want to concentrate on Perception to increase you mana pool for spells. Book 1 takes a long time to regenerate mana so you need a lot. Endurance for health is also needed. You need intelligence 15 to learn the lowest tier of elemental spells.

You can use spells like ogre strength to compensate for not increasing strength at the moment.
Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

Thanks for your answer.

While reading the manual it was not really clear to me what intelligence does.
[...]Intelligence to be able to read the complex scrolls and learn the
spell incantations.
So i just need the intelligence for learning spells ?
Is there a minimum at which i should push my intelligence to be able to lear n most spells ?
I think i will not learn any elemental spells i think...or should i ?
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

You actually don't need INT at all IIRC, if you're playing Healer - just focus on PER and WIS.

Also, Randomizer is correct - you really don't need to invest in the Armor skills beyond Level 1. Also, many of us think that Meditation is a waste of Skill points.

The build you want really is determined whether you want to play a primary offensive spellcasting Healer, or play a Healer that's mostly melee-weapons using with magic for 'buffing' support. If you're going for the former, you really need to start with PER far higher than what you've gone for. If the latter, you probably need to get Divination up to about Level 20, and then pour all of your Skill points into your melee-weapons Skill.

For a general kind of 'walkthrough' on a Healer character, see here.
Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

Thanks !
IJBall wrote:If the latter, you probably need to get Divination up to about Level 20, and then pour all of your Skill points into your melee-weapons Skill.
Do you mean the Divination skill up to 20 ? :shock:
Im currently (just reached lvl2) at 3...how long can that take... :mrgreen:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

For a first play through, it can be helpful to focus on core skills. I'd say you spread your points out a bit too much at character creation. There'll be time to spread skill points around later in the game, but it's good to get your core skills (Divination, Bludgeoning) strong first. It's early enough in your game that you may consider starting over, keep re-rolling your stats until you start with 13 or 14 in WIS, PER, STR, and END (Press the icon of the dice on the character creation screen to re-roll). A good high DEX wouldn't hurt. Level 5 in your two main skills at creation is a good idea, then spread a few points around (or save some to up the skills at first level-up). If you're planning to do a lot of melee combat, up PER and END in the beginning to get your HP and MP up and to increase regen for both.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

Wow, that really helps Kreador Freeaxe ! :D
I think i will start a new game, only played 1.5h so its not a big problem...
Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

Quick question:
I just discovered that the barkeeper in Aridell is now (3h played) walking around outside of the pub...is this a bug that could break a quest ?
(Dont know how he got outside)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Minsk wrote:Quick question:
I just discovered that the barkeeper in Aridell is now (3h played) walking around outside of the pub...is this a bug that could break a quest ?
(Dont know how he got outside)
He wanders. It's possible to open that door and walk away in such a way that the door stays open (it is ordinarily one of the auto-closing doors), and the barkeep will wander out. It doesn't break anything and can be useful if he was being difficult about you looting his back room.
---

Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

Thanks again Kreador Freeaxe !
---------------------------------------------------------

Im now at Lvl 6:
STR: 17
DEX: 13
END: 20
SPE: 14
INT: 11
WIS: 18
PER: 22 (with Item +2)
CON: 13
I concentrated on WIS,STR,PER and END as you can see.
Alchemy: 3
Divination: 12
Light Armor: 1
Heavy Armor: 1
Cartography: 1 (learned from this guy in the pub for 150Gold)
Skullduggery: 3 (all 3 points from item)
Bludgeoning Weapons: 11
Again, the bold ones are the skills i concentrated on.

What would you say, am i on the right way ?
What SKILLS and ATTRIBUTES should i concentrate at from now on ?
Lets say till Lvl 10...
I had no problems at all with the enemys, although those goblins were hard if 2 or more attacked my at the same time... :D
Minsk
Apprentice

Post by Minsk »

Sorry, but i played a few hours more and still im totally unclear about some stuff...

ATTRIBUTES
DEX: 13
SPE: 14
INT: 11
CON: 13

That are the ones i dont cared about till now, but maybe i need to get at least CON and DEX a bit more up, is this correct ?

SKILLS
I think the bow skill could be useful because bows seem great to trigger blackpowder barrels an other stuff.
Also lock picking sounds great, because it can be hard to bash them open, or at least i would need Skullduggery a bit higher to get rid of those traps.
What would you say ?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

You need no skill in bow or thrown weapons to trigger switches or exploding barrels. Ranged attacks always hit inanimate objects, even when you have no skill with the weapon.

For traps, Con is more useful than Dex, and it has an advantage in allowing spell casters to carry more weight and still cast in combat (at least, it does in book II, don't remember for sure about Book I). Getting the Dex to a cut-off number like 15, though, isn't a bad thing.
---