Thank you BW

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
dogeddie
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Thank you BW

Post by dogeddie »

For making a single player RPG with a single hero instead of a party! Just me and my mace against the world! And no skill trees and repeated trips to sell off loot! I love it! I am not interested in party management and find Eschalon to be exactly what I look for in a game. Please keep up the good work! :D
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Thank you BW

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

You're welcome! And please spread the word...our advertising budget is $0, so we generally only get new customers when our fans talk about our games to others.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:You're welcome! And please spread the word...our advertising budget is $0, so we generally only get new customers when our fans talk about our games to others.
I'm part of tons of forums, and on every one that'll allow it, I suggest that every single person there plays Eschalon - it really is a game worth more than it costs (Not that you should raise the price...)

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
dogeddie
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by dogeddie »

Now that is just blatant kissing up! :lol:
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

As if - it's just honest publicity!

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
bushwhacker2k
Pledge

Post by bushwhacker2k »

dogeddie wrote:For making a single player RPG with a single hero instead of a party! Just me and my mace against the world! And no skill trees and repeated trips to sell off loot! I love it! I am not interested in party management and find Eschalon to be exactly what I look for in a game. Please keep up the good work! :D
I personally like skill trees (as long as they provide variety and replayability), but this offers enough customization that I don't need one.

I SOO AGREE about soloing! I hate being forced to manage a party when I want to make one character insanely powerful! Good work, Basilisk :D
norolim
Initiate

Post by norolim »

Hi Everyone. I bought Book I two days ago and as I expected I thoroughly enjoy it. But it's not because it's a single player RPG or a skill tree free RPG. It's because it's actually an RPG, a fully fledged representative of the genre and not an FPS or a platformer disquised as a role-playing game (yes, I'm referring to Mass Deffect and it's upcoming 3rd installment). It let's me explore a fantastic diverse world, instead of a single town (don't really need to explain what I'm alluding to here, now, do I?). It provides a challenge, instead of pushing me around in a wheelchair.

But above all, thank you BG for treating me like a sane, healthy (i.e. not manually impaired to the point I can only repeatedly mash a single button) person, capable of independent thinking. This is rare these days among RPG developers.
Last edited by norolim on December 26th, 2011, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

norolim wrote:Hi Everyone. I bought Book I two days ago and as I expected I thoroughly enjoy it. But it's not because it's a single player RPG or a skill tree free RPG. It's because it's actually an RPG, a fully fledged representative of the genre and not an FPS or a platformer disquised as a role-playing game (yes, I'm referring to Mass Deffect and it's upcoming 3rd installment). It let's me explore a fantastic diverse world, instead of a single town (don't really need to explain what I'm alluding to here, now, do I?). It provides a challenge, instead of pushing me around in a wheelchair.

But above all, thank you BG for treating me as a sane, healthy (i.e. not manually impaired to the point I can only repeatedly mash a single button) person, capable of independent thinking. This is rare these days among RPG developers.
Yeah, Norolom, I tell me what you are alluding to. I really want to know. And I sure do agree with you!!
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I will never forget the day I downloaded the Book I demo. I had never played an RPG before and was hooked within two minutes. It was just a wonderful discovery. I have gone on to explore other RPGs, and have discovered that the single player, turn based game is still far and away my favorite.

BW has balanced his games sooooo well. They aren't all combat - leveling up properly is crucial, and thinking about who you are and how to develop your character are key to having a successful build.

I just wish Book III was here now :wink:
dbgager
Initiate

Post by dbgager »

I agree its a great game...Level design is great with some thought needed to solve the puzzles, and progress through the dungeons. Its not just an uninteresting game on rails with nothing but hack and slash. Leveling up is also important as every skill and attribute has some importance. The minimap drawing itself as you go even adds to the exploration part of the game as the tendency to want to explore all the areas and make your map complete is there. Has a nice story to. This is old school RPG playing as I remember it. Reminds me of Ultima. Really nice job BW. Very addicting game.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Painted Lady wrote:I just wish Book III was here now :wink:
+1 to this motion - do we have an estimated date for the official announcement of it yet?

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Vroqren wrote:...do we have an estimated date for the official announcement of it yet?
Nope.

Book II was announced within a year of Book I's release. But it's been more than a year since Book II was released, so...

I'm hoping this means that BW is still fine-tuning the engine/game app, and will announce Book III "officially" once he's done with that and has moved on to just focusing on filling in the game's 'content'.

But I'm just guessing... :|
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Well, I think you're guess is better than most, so that's something.

Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Not to mention there is an announcement in 'General' about book III. :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!