CrazyBernie's Current Playlist

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

CrazyBernie's Current Playlist

Post by CrazyBernie »

So what's CB been playing in his downtime??

Terraria
Last check on Steam shows I've put in 140 hours into this little gem. I stopped playing for a spell, but with the 1.1 update, it was fun all over again. I haven't triggered hard mode on any world yet, because I'm being anal about preparations. I'm hoping a future update can add more sky biome stuff... and I'd like to see more ocean content.

Minecraft
I put this on here, but I haven't touched the game since shortly after its official release. I was a little disappointed with the "endgame" content... but I'm hoping some future updates will respark my interest. I'm mildly annoyed with the fact that both notch and jeb are working on other projects which is slowing Minecraft development, but I understand their desire to avoid burnout and there are plenty of other games to sample in the meantime... 0_o

Cave Story+
I've reached what I think is the final boss stage, but I haven't played in a few days since reaching that point. It's a fun "old school" scroller that combines elements of other games of yore, but it can be a bit difficult. My interest waned with the fact that you have to fight two boss fights in a row with no saving or health replenisment.

Dungeons of Dredmor
I'm having a lot of fun with this guy. Grabbed it and Cave Story+ from the indie bundle scene. A good graphical roguelike that seems to strike the not too hard/not too easy balance (I'm playing on "Normal" difficulty). One skill point per level sorta sucks, and not being able to add new skills is equally annoying, but overall it's an enjoyable game that's easy to put down and pick back up at the drop of a hat.

Hard Reset
An interesting first-person shooter that injects some mild RPG elements - a.k.a. a skill tree for upgrading weapons and powerups - while attempting to give of some of old-school-hordes-of-enemies vibe, and succeeds, albiet partially. It relies too much on the ambush tactics and if you don't choose your upgrades wisely it's easy to enter a fight underpowered and unprepared. There's times where getting rushed by certain enemies means game over if you're caught near a wall or corner. It's graphically pretty, but there's too many low resolution textures being used in the environment.

Skyrim
Ahh, the 800 pound gorilla in the room. It's a blast to play, although I haven't played it nearly enough. My desktop computer is languishing in a corner, and with the baby, I don't really get the chance to play the desktop as I have it set up - hooked to my 50" tv. Heck, the brand new Xbox 360 Gears of War 3 edition that my girl got me for Christmas hasn't even been used other than making sure it turns on. But I digress. Skyrim is a great RPG with some minor immersion breaking quirks, and I plan on putting in a lot more than the mere 32 hours I have invested so far.

In the near future, I've got my sights set on Serious Sam 3, Trine 2, and possibly Saints Row the Third. Plus we'll see what the future indie bundles have in store!
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Re: CrazyBernie's Current Playlist

Post by llew silverhand »

Looks like a good list CB - Of those I am playing Terraria (the MP world I play on just had hard mode triggered...that was most unfortunate. Goblins suck!) and really enjoying it. I picked it up over the holiday sale on Steam. Having a lot more fun with this than I thought I would. Just need to figure out crafting, and how to get the NPCs to come into my home and stay there, rather than wandering into monster pits and getting squished...

Dungeons of Dredmor I have as well but haven't logged many hours lately. It's a great dungeon crawl that can be quite challenging at times.

Skyrim...also a holiday sale acquisition, without many hours logged yet (I had vacation, but was spending it with the family...oh how gaming changes when children are born!) Enjoying what I've played so far of it though, and looking forward to more!

I acquired Cave Story+ in the last Humble Indie Bundle, but haven't touched it yet - I'm sure I'll get there eventually.
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Some advice on Terraria:

The guide can help you with crafting; show him an item and he can show you what you can make with it. You might want to check the wiki for recipes if you don't mind spoilers.

NPC's need homes of their own. To build an NPC compatable house, you need to make it an enclosed space with walls, a door, a light, a flat surface (table or workbench) and a comfort item (chair, bed, toilet, etc).

It's good to get the NPC's up off the ground... it helps keep them out of harms way... although during a goblin invasion it can be a moot point. In order to get them off the ground, you may have to travel far enough away from the spawn point for them to "teleport" to their chosen spot, or exit the game and relaunch.

Here's what my current "Home" looks like:
Attachments
terrariahouse2.jpg
terrariahouse2.jpg (230.88 KiB) Viewed 4988 times
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

Ah, that makes sense, thanks CB, I'll give that a try!

**worked like a charm - nurse and guide are hangin at the homestead now! Thanks again!
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Glad to hear it! If you're bored, PM me and I'll send you the login info for the server I just fired up on a whim... but no guarantees that it'll have much going on just yet. :mrgreen: