Need Character Build Advice

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Need Character Build Advice

Post by deathknight1728 »

I thought of making a rogue/outdoors fighter type character as my pc. Now that my comp runs this game fast, im pretty siked about this, but still would like some advice.

Ive never fought alot of mages but always have been intrigued in making a mageslayer type character in rpgs. Thus this character is made

I took as my initial 5 skills-light armor, pick lock (from rogue), sword, survival and dodge. I thought that this char would be very powerful in late game when he regenerates health so fast and dodges/counterattacks any thing else. I also was considering maybe forgetting about survival and just boosting endurance instead. I want to make this a challenge but not to the point where i cant play. I like dodge a lot and will get it to at least 15% dodge, which isnt bad.

My question is can i pump endurance high from the beginning and focus on dex for locks and hit chance, speed for damage/armor and perception for magic resistance. I want to make this char a mages worst nightmare and thus thought that taking meditation with high perception (which will also allow me to spot stuff).

Would that be alright to do. What do mages usually cast that is more lifethreating magic, or heat/cold? Any advice that wont cripple this build would be cool.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Need Character Build Advice

Post by MyGameCompany »

The great thing about the Eschalon games is that you can try any kind of character build you like.

But I don't remember very many mage-type enemies in B1, except perhaps for the few acolytes in Shadowmirk (and they're friendly unless you attack them first). So building a character specifically designed to defend against mages when there aren't really any of those kinds of enemies in the game is moot.

If I were building a rogue/fighter type, I would skip perception, and instead focus on strength (which is needed to make the sword skill effective). And I would skip the light armor skill and wait until you find the training book for it later in the game - the light armor penalty isn't very severe. Instead, get another rogue skill like skullduggery or a range attack like bows. Then as I level up initially, I would either pump points into strength, speed, and endurance (if I want to focus on developing the character for close-range combat), or pump points into dexterity and concentration (if I want to develop the character for ranged attacks). After level 5 or so, when the character is doing well enough in battle, then I would focus on building the rogue part by distributing a few points into dexterity, intelligence (needed by the pick locks skill), and concentration (needed by skullduggery).

But of course, you can develop the character any way you want. There's no right or wrong way to do it.

Hope that helps!
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

I need help finding a book that can teach me 1 level of divine spells so i can use cats eyes. Does anyone know where an EARLY level of divine spells is?
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

You learn spells from scrolls so unless the merchant in Aridell has the available scroll you have to find them in random loot or later merchants.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Im lvl 5 now and without giving away too much, how high of a skill for swords would be needed to stop at? I currently have 8.

SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

deathknight1728 wrote:Im lvl 5 now and without giving away too much, how high of a skill for swords would be needed to stop at? I currently have 8.
Are you winning fights easily enough? As long as you want to do more damage faster, it's not unreasonable to keep increasing your skill.