Recommend me a fun class

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Recommend me a fun class

Post by deathknight1728 »

Ive given up playing book 1. Its a great game but to me, there are no tactics. When i play a game, i like to have some sort of tactics involved. I played a rogue in book 1 and there was no backstab, sneaking didnt work at all, and ultimately was a clickfest.

I like playing fighting characters that rely on finesse and ultimately are unique. I dont like characters that just rush in and destroy everything in sight. I tried using hide in shadows and silent moving in book 1 and it was useless as there was no backstab or even attack bonus.

Someone recommended me this game series from spiderweb software as i like that, but so far feels too much like diablo 2. Are there any unique ways of playing this game as a melee user or is everything just rush in with no strategy?
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Recommend me a fun class

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

That seems an odd reaction to me. In Book I, sneaking was actually overpowered. A good bit of Hide In Shadows and you become invisible for all practical purposes unless you're standing in direct light. For both games I like the tactics involved in using an archer type. That was more difficult in Book I, as early on bow wielding was not as efficient and you tended to run out of arrows.

In Book II, there's more thought involved in choosing your primary weapon based on the type of Feat the weapon has. Piercing weapons, with their double-strike capability, are an excellent choice in Book II, as are Bludgeoning weapons with their massive strike that reduces the opponent's armor rating. Hide In Shadows is a lot less powerful (it takes higher levels to be hidden and many more creatures that will spot you more easily and not lose sight of you as easily).

Personally, in neither one have I particularly liked the "Charge in and wail away" method of battle. I've always used more tactics about the terrain and such to pick off monsters one-by-one.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Yeah what you just said sounds like my style. The problem is everyone tells me that throwing weapons are undoable. Id like to make a throwing build that uses them religiously. Ive always thought that rogues are more darts/throwing knives than rangers who are bows. Id really like to do throwing but i dont know, is it possible? They do restock.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Thrown weapons in Book 2 still suffer from excess weight compared to arrows. The thrown weapon feat also only works against swarms where each weapon thrown goes after a different target.

BW however liked thrown weapons when combined with Demon Oil as this gives a barrier against melee attacks, lasts a few rounds, and can overlap when used against a swarm.

I like rogues, but there are so many skills to train in to make an effective one.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Throwing weapons are possible, but more difficult because of the weight issues. They're much heavier than arrows for the most part, so they put big limits on what a character can be hauling around with them--especially a roguish type where you're not focused on Strength alongside Endurance. My first time through Book I (oh so many years ago now) I used thrown weapons and cleaving. Made it through and enjoyed the game enough that I played Book I about a dozen more times with different builds.

The second big tactical element to remember in Book II is the addition of Combat Modes. They add a lot to what you can do in different situations.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

i know what you mean, i can see parry, and powerattack modes be very advantageous to the archer or fighter. Forget it, im giving the ranger a shot in book 2. I only wish that it was in book 1. Hopefully it might be in the future.

deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Quick question. I found a book that gives spot hidden as a skill. Does spot hidden have any real uses other than finding items and traps? I might use it but unless it gives experience for finding treasure/gold i can see no use for it. Do you gain experience for finding things?

Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

No experience for finding things, but there is the loot. Finding traps means not taking damage from them while giving you a chance to disarm for experience.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Give the monk/ninja build a go.

viewtopic.php?p=42893#p42893

When you don't wear armor and you're pumping points into strength to boost your damage with the Unarmed Combat skill, you've got plenty of carrying capacity for thrown weapons. I developed the skill to the point where I had a lot of fun with it. And BW is right - it works great with demon oil!

I used thrown weapons to weaken the masses, and then killed each one with a single punch. My character was built off a rogue, and I used Hide In Shadows to protect myself from larger gangs of enemies.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland