Horribly boring suggestions.

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Fevgodas
Pledge

Horribly boring suggestions.

Post by Fevgodas »

I just started book II, and two details are nagging me a bit. So technically, they concern book II more than book III, but I suppose book II will be left as it is, so.

I'd have loved the portraits to be a bit more consistant (not necessarily the same, but at least a bit similar). I couldn't find in book II anything close to my book I portrait, so I ended playing with a completely different face, in a quite different way : i couldn't connect both characters, it was like a discontinuity in the story. Stuff happening to a different person. It's a tiny detail at a psychological, roleplay, level, but as it is supposed to be the saga of the same person, having them morph into someone else is a bit weird (in a george lazenby way, "this never happened to the other fellow"). Also, book I offered more skin colour variation than book II, and it was nice. The step back surprised me.

Also, the save game restriction is nice, it does add a bit of tension, but I don't understand the load restriction - when I'm really doomed, I have to exit to the main menu and load from there (or go through the the actual death of my character) instead of reloading from the game interface. Okay, it's two more clicks, and a couple of loading seconds, but it seems a bit useless to me. The difficulty is increased by the (in-game, chronological) distance of the last saved game, or is the distance to actually reach it deliberate ?

There, nothing extremely dramatic (I like the game, I don't see much else to correct, except maybe the trainers that are much discussed already - I do kinda wish that they'd have things to teach you even if you had taught yourself quite a bit already, as I always feel a bit dumb or guilty for having spent skill points that render them useless). But I warned you. The suggestions are boring. I'm sure I'll come up with a clever one after a few more hours of gaming, but for now that's really all. :?
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: Horribly boring suggestions.

Post by Dragonlady »

Fevgodas wrote:I just started book II, and two details are nagging me a bit. So technically, they concern book II more than book III, but I suppose book II will be left as it is, so.

I'd have loved the portraits to be a bit more consistant (not necessarily the same, but at least a bit similar). I couldn't find in book II anything close to my book I portrait, so I ended playing with a completely different face, in a quite different way : i couldn't connect both characters, it was like a discontinuity in the story. Stuff happening to a different person. It's a tiny detail at a psychological, roleplay, level, but as it is supposed to be the saga of the same person, having them morph into someone else is a bit weird (in a george lazenby way, "this never happened to the other fellow"). Also, book I offered more skin colour variation than book II, and it was nice. The step back surprised me.
If you like the portraits from game 1, copy them and use as per the instruction under the portrait picture - ie, button labeled "Custom". Any 64x64 picture will do. Here's one I've used:
Attachments
mypic.png
mypic.png (5.68 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Fevgodas
Pledge

Post by Fevgodas »

It's a bit late as I'm already far advanced with the "new" character, but still, I might do that with a later replay (and a build closer to my book I character). My problem would be to find the eschalon book I portraits : I had been looking for them in the game's folders, and couldn't find them. Will I have to crop a screen capture, or can the portrait files be found somewhere ?
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Fevgodas wrote:It's a bit late as I'm already far advanced with the "new" character, but still, I might do that with a later replay (and a build closer to my book I character). My problem would be to find the eschalon book I portraits : I had been looking for them in the game's folders, and couldn't find them. Will I have to crop a screen capture, or can the portrait files be found somewhere ?
I'd just screen capture them. I have little computer knowledge, others will have to tell you that. I'm not sure if you can get them out of the game files. It might be against copyright laws or something. Shrug.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Yep, screen capture, crop, then add a few pixels border... the portraits in Book II are slightly bigger... I believe by 4 pixels (60x60 in Book 1, 64x64 in Book II).

BW's got some new artists pitching in for Book III, so we'll have to wait and see what those are like... :mrgreen: