I think i might be screwed

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

I think i might be screwed

Post by deathknight1728 »

Im looking for a spell called poison spray but unfortunately they don't have it at aridell or bordentown. I have a rogue/priest hybrid character I'm using and he's ok at fighting but not as good as a warrior or rogue. He needs a spell that deals damage but i don't think any town in beginning teaches ANY damage based spells. I need help as I'm having trouble fighting creatures with just a bless spell lvl 5. Can you learn anything from people hiding in caves teaching spells. I might be screwed if not.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: I think i might be screwed

Post by Painted Lady »

Spells can be found at various shops around Thaermore. However, they are randomly generated and are refreshed once a week. So, for you, the bad news is that you have to keep checking all of the shops you have previously visited on a regular basis.

Almost all spells are available in Blackwater - but, you have to be strong enough to make it there. Unfortunately, the Divination spells are pretty weak - they are basically designed to buff up a warrior, not be the main line of defense.

If your guy is really struggling already you might want to start all over with a stronger character........
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Im still lvl 4 but i managed to get to blackwater. What a waste, poison spray is terrible. I use entangle much more frequently, even mores than sonic blast which i used to use.

Thanks for the headsup! Hopefully poison spray is more useful in book 2.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

You do realize that I've reviewed nearly all of the spells before that you've been experimenting with, right?... :P :wink:
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

No i did not. I figured worse comes to worse there would be another spell that i could use to eliminate most of the baddies. Seems that entangle is one of the best melee spells (for divination magic) to have right now for my char. Although the barrean mercenary is one of a few enemies that it fails on. Along with acid grubbs.

One question since you know something on spells, does poison element get fixed in book 2 ? I want to try an assassin/hide rogue that might work well on that.

Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I never though that poison worked all that well in Book 2. However BW thinks it does if you cast and run away. I still want it to do more damage per round so I can get back to looting.
munster
Senior Steward

Post by munster »

For myself, at lower levels in Book I, I tended to rely on Fire Dart and Flesh Boil (and a lot of running away) plus a few points into some weapon (bludgeoning, cleaving, or swords) to go with Bless when I ran out of Mana points and needed to bash my way out of a mob. I loved Air Shield when I got it.

Compress Atmosphere and Sunder Flesh when I got enough points to raise them up to good levels and enough Mana to use them effectively. Then it was the monsters' turn to run away :twisted:

I only tried spells like Dancing Lights or Sonic Blast once or twice, since I never got much good out of using them.

In Book II, I really enjoyed casting Element Armour, walking out onto the lava flow, and being followed by the Taurax. Ah, the delicious smell of barbecued beef - yummy! :twisted:
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Sonic blast is a great spell for really low enemies due to the boost from stun. However, it doesnt work on medium level enemies so its pretty much useless. I never understood why it failed to work 50% of the time even when cast at a high level.

If you think about it, if it just stuns for 3 rounds and works on most baddies, its not really a big deal as it would make the game more interesting still be a challenge. As it stands divination spells are better for melee buffing any day. Entangle is one such spell that dwarfs sonic blast as it lasts longer, and works on many more enemies.