Skills Ceilings

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
The Harpo Marxist
Apprentice

Skills Ceilings

Post by The Harpo Marxist »

Hello everyone!

Been enjoying my first run through of Eschalon tremendously. I feel like I may have actually built a decentish 1st character.

I went all in on Bows for awhile and I've gotten my skill up to 33 (only recently started branching out. I think I'm level 11 or 12 now.) At any rate, I was wondering at what point it becomes a diminishing return to keep investing in a skill. I'm curious as to what my Bow skill gets me. I know that my feat returns faster and faster, but does that ever max out? And if it does, what is the additional benefit from putting points there?

Been spending money like a bandit (these arrows don't make themselves!) so I've supplemented my Mercantilism to a fairly high level as well as my foraging. Thinking about bringing armor up next, or possibly alchemy (I mean, I've got the foraging, so I might as well...)

Thanks everyone!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Skills Ceilings

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Feat refresh maxes at 32 or 33. Beyond that the benefit is slightly higher damage and better to hit when not using the feat. Of course, since you can use the feat every fifth turn, never miss, and maximize damage of it with Power mode, it's probably better to start putting points elsewhere. Don't worry about your armor skill, as it doesn't have a great return on points invested. Plus, as a Ranger, you're not going to have that many enemies get close enough to touch you.

Alchemy is a good skill to have, and once you learn all the cartography you can from the trainer and the book, there's still a good reason to add a bit more. At 17, you get a unique feature that's especially useful for rangers--you start to see NPCs and monsters on the minimap before they're visible on screen.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
The Harpo Marxist
Apprentice

Post by The Harpo Marxist »

Thank you Kreador! Much appreciated!

Time for my ranger to diversify...
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

In my opinion the magic skills are the best things to spend points on after you've reached a good level in your weapon skill. There are so many good utility spells you can get for relatively few points, and you can ignore all of the damage spells.