If you were in Eschalon

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
leshpar
Marshall

If you were in Eschalon

Post by leshpar »

I have a fun topic: If you were to start a game in Eschalon as yourself, what skills would you have to start with? What have you learned to do in real life that can tie in or count as basic or advanced skills that would exist in Eschalon? You can use the preexisting skills from any book or you can make up new skills. Just be sure to describe what your new skill does. Also, you're not limited to only 15 or 20 skill points. You can go more or less if you need to to cover yourself the way you want to.

For me I'd start with Bludgeoning weapons, short bladed, and bows for sure. I've recieved training in all 3 over the course of my life. I'd also have Mercentile. I work at a hotel and I know how to negotiate with people a bit.

The only other skills I have I don't think would relate to anything in Eschalon. I am very good with computers, home networks, and repair of said things (I can also custom build them), but Eschalon doesn't have any advanced or ancient technology.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: If you were in Eschalon

Post by Lord_P »

leshpar wrote:Eschalon doesn't have any advanced or ancient technology.
...or does it? Talushorn...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Lord_P wrote:
Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Lord_P wrote:
Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology. ;-)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... hlebotinum
RPGamer
Apprentice

Post by RPGamer »

Skill lvl 3: Mercantile
Skill lvl 8: Running: Character can outrun most opponents
Skill lvl 10: Storytelling: Character can fabricate to a large degree, and is able to persuade other characters using this skill.
Skill lvl 5: Leadership: character is able to gather and keep followers who will protect the character.
Skill lvl 5: Hide in Shadows
Skill lvl 2: Move Silently
Skill lvl 6: Medicine
Skill lvl 2: Foraging

I write books, poetry, and songs. I'm planning to join the highschool track team. I am nocturnal. And I'm a former boyscout. That, my friends, is how I have learned these skills throughout the course of my life. Alone in eschalon, I am screwed. v.v But with followers, I am capable of much more. 8)
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

I agree with rpgamer. If there were followers in eschalon, that would be me totally.

I think that these games are absolutely great but in the future, basilisk wrangler will almost definitely need to make an old school party based rpg in the eschalon world. Think about what you could do and how awesome it would be.

I can't be the only person here who thinks that an eschalon party based game series would give avernum series a run for its money. It would be friggin epic!

As for who i would be, I'd probably be a bard with mercantile skill, skill with a spear, and silent movement.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

I'd love a party based game. Since it seems Eschalon takes some of its ideas from Ultima I think if they did it like Ultima 6 did it would work extremely well (for combat and movement). But, of course, keep Eschalon's awesome character customization.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

leshpar wrote:I'd love a party based game. Since it seems Eschalon takes some of its ideas from Ultima I think if they did it like Ultima 6 did it would work extremely well (for combat and movement). But, of course, keep Eschalon's awesome character customization.
I know right, thats why I like the eschalon universe-because its like playing a modern version of ultima. I tried getting into the old ultimas but the interface and everything was much more hard to get into as it was so dated. The one game ultima 9 or 8 (whatever was the last one) would have been really cool in my book, if they kept the isometric view.

Thats one of the selling qualities that a lot of people forget about spiderweb software and basilisk games that make the games so well liked. Im hoping that in the future more companies will take up the mantle in a similar vein.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

I'd start a rat sanctuary protecting the poor innocent rats from all those horrible evil adventurers slaughtering them. I'd need some basic carpentry and/or masonry skills to build the sanctuary. Rodent lore and medicinal skills so that I can properly supply the rodents with nutrition and medical care. Mercantile skills so that I can get good prices on supplies. That's a start.
Will Pay For Cloth Map