Parry mode + Melee Weapon Feat = invicibility?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Agesilas
Pledge

Parry mode + Melee Weapon Feat = invicibility?

Post by Agesilas »

The following tactic seems to make any melee fighter become nearly invincible as the weapon skill is increased level after level: (1) switch to power mode and attack with melee weapon feat, then (2) switch to parry mode and skip turn until the feat is available again. The armour bonus in Parry mode is equal to the weapon skill level and that level also dramatically reduces the number of turns to recover the weapon feat. When the skill level gets into the 20's, which is achievable as early as level 6, the feat cool off too fast and the Parry mode bonus is too high for the hapless enemies to have a chance! E.g. I have butchered all the Goliath Boreheads in a single campaign without resting or healing and got hit perhaps one or twice only at level 7. With a sword, the feat does not even give the enemies a chance to hit back after unleashing the attack!

Am I missing something? Are there opponents late in the game that have such a superhuman to-hit rate that it will significantly overcome the Parry mode?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Parry mode + Melee Weapon Feat = invicibility?

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Parry mode is just really powerful. Also great when closing ground with enemies that have ranged attacks.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Agesilas
Pledge

Post by Agesilas »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Parry mode is just really powerful.
Overpowered imho. But I don't mind: it has a place for players who want to experience the atmosphere of the game and the story without spending a lot of time in carefully outmanoeuvring the enemies. Those players who think it is overpowered can simply add a rule not to use it!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Likely there will be some adjustments to the way it works in Book III, as there were to the way Hide In Shadows worked between Book I and Book II. In Book I, you could be essentially invisible in all circumstances with a relatively modest investment in Hide In Shadows. Even in broad daylight. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

I never use parry mode for some reason. Always forget about it.
Agesilas
Pledge

Post by Agesilas »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Likely there will be some adjustments to the way it works in Book III, as there were to the way Hide In Shadows worked between Book I and Book II. In Book I, you could be essentially invisible in all circumstances with a relatively modest investment in Hide In Shadows. Even in broad daylight. :)
I had noticed that indeed as you and many others did. So I set up my own house rules again: never use it except in dark places, make sure that it works only when standing next to a wall or in a thick wood. Even like so, Hide-in-Shadow makes dungeon crawling a picnic in the park in Book I.