Good indie RPGs: What is out there (beside Eschalon)?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Sslaxx
Council Member

Good indie RPGs: What is out there (beside Eschalon)?

Post by Sslaxx »

Long time, no see...

Well, seeing as Bethesda have sold out I'm tired of being treated like a third-class customer. So, I'd rather spend my money on more deserving outfits - indies fit the bill, because I sure ain't going to be getting any RPG fix I want from the AAA companies any more.

So, what suggestions are there you'd make? Old-school, new-school or anything else?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Good indie RPGs: What is out there (beside Eschalon)?

Post by blatherbeard »

The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

Not big on their pricing structure, honestly. Smacks of aping Kickstarter.

Won't be spending money on Spiderweb "remake-of-a-remake-of-a-remake-and-its-sequels-too" RPGs. So what else is out there? Project Eternity I'll be getting because I contributed to its Kickstarter, Wasteland 2 I'll be buying on release. Hero-U possibly too, and Quest for Infamy is another Kickstarter I contributed towards. Maybe the new Torment game.

Legends of Dawn sounds fun - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/522 ... ds-of-dawn - too bad I've got no money to contribute to the Kickstarter with, but at least it's reached its goal.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Sslaxx wrote:Not big on their pricing structure, honestly. Smacks of aping Kickstarter.
Yes, much like other successfully funded kickstarter games, they are trying to keep the flow going on their own website.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

I know this might sound odd, but there's another game I play that reminds me almost exactly of Eschalon Series, its a single player/solo character game called "The Quest" by redshift. Although its first person, its still turn based roleplaying based like Eschalon. You can design your character however you want just like eschalon, there are races, different ways of solving problems (talking your way out, sneaking your way through). Its really a great game and has an enormous replay value, 12 expansion packs.

http://www.redshift.hu/
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
llew silverhand
Senior Council Member

Post by llew silverhand »

Soldak Entertainment has some good stuff.

http://www.soldak.com/

Din's Curse is my favorite of their 4 titles. Drox Operative is a nice change of pace as well, I think.
Llew Silverhand - Once and Future Gnome King
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

deathknight1728 wrote:I know this might sound odd, but there's another game I play that reminds me almost exactly of Eschalon Series, its a single player/solo character game called "The Quest" by redshift. Although its first person, its still turn based roleplaying based like Eschalon. You can design your character however you want just like eschalon, there are races, different ways of solving problems (talking your way out, sneaking your way through). Its really a great game and has an enormous replay value, 12 expansion packs.

Except you can't buy the PC version anywhere and I've no interest in the game on anything other than PC.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Sslaxx wrote:
deathknight1728 wrote:I know this might sound odd, but there's another game I play that reminds me almost exactly of Eschalon Series, its a single player/solo character game called "The Quest" by redshift. Although its first person, its still turn based roleplaying based like Eschalon. You can design your character however you want just like eschalon, there are races, different ways of solving problems (talking your way out, sneaking your way through). Its really a great game and has an enormous replay value, 12 expansion packs.

Except you can't buy the PC version anywhere and I've no interest in the game on anything other than PC.
There is a way to buy a PC version. Here is a quote from the site:
Clickgamer.com has closed

We are sorry to announce that clickgamer.com has closed. Therefore currently only the iOS (for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch) versions of our games can be bought online. If you want to get our games for other devices (including Palm, Pocket PC and PC), please contact us at the email address above.
*Note the PC can be asked for by sending an email. I didn't copy the email address, sorry.

I, too, have played Quest (Mac version). I never did finish the original version but did like it a lot. I still have my maps and hints I got way back when.

edit: I think this is the email address you can ask about buying a PC version:

redshift@redshift.hu
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Seen this? I just started playing it, fun so far.

http://www.olderbytes.com/
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

Saxon1974 wrote:Seen this? I just started playing it, fun so far.

Bit clunky for my tastes, and it seems to lag on this machine more than it should.

Shall have to look further afield. Or maybe closer to home...
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

It looked interesting BUT, dang it all, apparently it is for PC not Macs. :cry:
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

Dragonlady wrote:

It looked interesting BUT, dang it all, apparently it is for PC not Macs. :cry:
It's written with Game Maker, so if the dev can be persuaded (and has Game Maker Studio Pro and above), they could make a Mac port.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Cardinal Quest-

http://www.cardinalquest.com/

This is a roguelike dungeon crawler that has a tilebased system similar to eschalon, only this game has a classbased system. This one is mostly to kreador and anyone else who follows the new games on the block. For what its worth, it looks promising.

Has anyone played this game? I hear the 2nd is coming out soon.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Never heard of this one. Might have son get it for my Ipad. Maybe.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Dragonlady wrote:Never heard of this one. Might have son get it for my Ipad. Maybe.
I couldn't resist after the demo. Best $5 I spent. Its very much like Kivi's Underworld (Soldak Entertainment). The main difference is turn based and your control over your character is on what you find that adds to skills/stats. There's a 2nd game on the way which adds 3 new classes and you get a much more normal stat/skill system like Avadon kind of.