Swords and Sorcery – Underworld

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

A new might & magic type game. Has a demo check it out! I just heard about this and havent tried it yet but figured many here would be interested.

http://www.classicgamesremade.com/
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Swords and Sorcery – Underworld

Post by CrazyBernie »

I tried it out... my party of four characters got annihilated by a single ranger in the first room I entered. >.<

That aside, I'm not a huge fan of the "no mouse allowed" gui.
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

$25 for full version :shock: and no Sound (at least got none in Demo)
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Iane wrote:$25 for full version :shock: and no Sound (at least got none in Demo)
And Windows only. Again. :(
getter77
Senior Steward

Post by getter77 »

Price has since been reduced to $15, there's apparently "some" sounds, and other bits are good to mention to the dev on the contact as I think he may well be receptive to mouse use and such. Tis the man's first game afterall and he's done it all by himself...so the more feedback he can gain from demo-folk the better.
http://www.roguetemple.com/forums/index.php?topic=395.0 What I'm trying to accomplish in life.
Charles-cgr
Pledge

Post by Charles-cgr »

Well I knew this thread was around because basilisk showed up in my stats, but with development I didn't find the time to stop by...

Thanks to Saxon for starting it and Getter for finishing it!

I just released a new version. There is sound, but not much of it. Underworld was intended as a mockup of games like MMI&II or Wizardry. That being said it moved a few years down the line and now supports mouse. The UI is... well there is one now, although it remains quite old school.

While it is Windows based one of my first full version customers reported that it worked great on his Macbook with the help of Crossover (made by the people that finance the WINE project, but I'm not sure it works with WINE).

Bernie, parties have six character slots so going out with 4 was crazy :) I did make Highnest fights easier though on the latest release.

I'd love to read more feedback, although I have to admit I'm a bit burned out for the moment. Concerning the price, well it may seem steep but there's 2 yrs of real hard work behind it. Also I remember buying (or coaxing my mom into buying) MMI for $40. It didn't get easier to make such games, even if the laws of competition necessarily apply.
Classic Games Remade. Well, one down, hopefully plenty to go. Underworld is a Might and Magic I & II inspired RPG (just recently revamped!)
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

well after reading what you said i guess i'll try it out
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
stryker317
Pledge

Post by stryker317 »

Check out the new version, 1.5. There is sound and game balance has been fixed. Price is $20. Not bad for might and magic style game. This game isn't about graphics, but is addicting. Check out the review at rpgwatch. Try the demo. You should like it.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?ar ... f=0&id=440
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Game has been major updated now, good sound effects and greatly improved graphics....if you were on the fence about this one maybe check it out now as its on sale for 5$.

http://www.olderbytes.com/
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

The game looks interesting but I am put off by the anime/childish type graphics of some of the enemies.

Honestly, your much better off waiting for Redshift's next party based game that does everything better than this.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

deathknight1728 wrote:The game looks interesting but I am put off by the anime/childish type graphics of some of the enemies.

Honestly, your much better off waiting for Redshift's next party based game that does everything better than this.
Are any of the current Redshift RPG's worth a play? They mostly look like IPhone apps, dont have any interest in playing on a phone. One is for PC I believe called The Quest.
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

Tried the demo of this game, and it feels a bit too clunky for my tastes. And Redshift aren't getting my business because of their frankly lousy way of "supporting" PC users. Sheesh.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Saxon1974 wrote:
deathknight1728 wrote:The game looks interesting but I am put off by the anime/childish type graphics of some of the enemies.

Are any of the current Redshift RPG's worth a play? They mostly look like IPhone apps, dont have any interest in playing on a phone. One is for PC I believe called The Quest.
Legacy and The Quest are both for PC and all the portables. I cant say that Legacy is great because its just too antiquated for my taste. The only reason I got into them was because of the Quest. Im ridiculously critical with games that I like but for some reason, I really cant say anything wrong about the Quest.

The Quest is the only game like Eschalon that I play and enjoy as it has all of the things that Eschalon does well. Its got a classless system, excellent story, alchemy and imbueing of equipment, many different ways of solving quests, just right difficulty that can be tough and still rewarding when you make your character right.

I still like Eschalon more, but The Quest is fun.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Sslaxx wrote:Tried the demo of this game, and it feels a bit too clunky for my tastes. And Redshift aren't getting my business because of their frankly lousy way of "supporting" PC users. Sheesh.
What do you mean by clunky? Doesn'tfeel that way to me.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

deathknight1728 wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:

Legacy and The Quest are both for PC and all the portables. I cant say that Legacy is great because its just too antiquated for my taste. The only reason I got into them was because of the Quest. Im ridiculously critical with games that I like but for some reason, I really cant say anything wrong about the Quest.

The Quest is the only game like Eschalon that I play and enjoy as it has all of the things that Eschalon does well. Its got a classless system, excellent story, alchemy and imbueing of equipment, many different ways of solving quests, just right difficulty that can be tough and still rewarding when you make your character right.

I still like Eschalon more, but The Quest is fun.
I dont like the tiny resolution of the Quest on the PC, its like 30% of my screen. Maybe it would be better on an IPAD. Reminds me of the Might & Magic VI, VII games.