Forum Groups (Request)

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Forum Groups (Request)

Post by Vroqren »

I was recently (Due to BW's post about the 'Newly Registered' group) reminded of the days when I used to run my on forums, for a branch of a gaming community, not too unlike this one. That was the first forum that I ever really ran, and to be entirely honest, I was not to good at it. A big problem that I had, was adding way too many user groups, with people fitting into multiple different ones at a time. Because of this, I was forced to choose which group each member was to be dominant in. With what I am about to suggest, this is something I am hoping to avoid. Anyway, on to the actual suggestion:

Each person on the forums is given a title and image based on the number of posts they have. From what I can tell, the chart goes something like this:

0-4 Posts: Pledge (No image)
5-19 Posts: Initiate (No image)
20-39 Posts: Apprentice (No image)
40-59 Posts: Fellowcraft Apprentice (No image)
60-79 Posts: Steward (No image)
80-99 Posts: Senior Steward (No image)
100-149 Posts: Marshal (No image)
150-199 Posts: Council Member (No image)
200-249 Posts: Senior Council Member (No image)
250-299 Posts: Officer [Bronze Rank] Image
300-349 Posts: Officer [Silver Rank] Image
400-499 Posts: Officer [Gold Rank] Image
500-749 Posts: Officer [Platinum Rank] Image
750-999 Posts: Lieutenant Image
1000-1249 Posts: Captain Image
1249-1499 Posts: Captain Magnate Image
1500-1999 Posts: Major Image
2000+ Posts: Major General Image

My suggestion is that those community member with enough posts (I'd say starting with the rank that gets the first image, Officer [Bronze Rank]) get a colored name as well. What color, I'm not sure, but I have some potential ideas:
Officer [Bronze Rank]: Bronze
Officer [Silver Rank]: Silver
Officer [Gold Rank]: Gold
Officer [Platinum Rank]: Steel Blue
Captain: Bright Gold
Captain Magnate: Old Gold
Major: Steel Blue
*Color codes and names from http://www.december.com/html/spec/colorhex.html

Anyway, if you'd like to entirely veto this BW, that's entirely understandable. I just thought it would be a nice touch. If anyone else has any other comments, or anything that they think would look better (color wise), please share!

And if this takes too much time away from Book III development, I think we'd all rather not have this.
Last edited by Vroqren on December 22nd, 2013, 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Forum Groups (Request)

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

It a cool idea, Vroqren, but I don't' see anywhere in the forum controls to set the color of the title. We use PHPBB3, which is not particularly the most feature-filled forum software, but is stable and secure. If you know of something in PHPBB3 that I am missing, please let me know.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Hmm. I am confident there is a simple (doesn't require coding) way to do this, but I am not quite sure what it is.
This is just a screenshot I took of my forums, and the field with the option to change it.

I don't want to take any time away from Book III development though, so if you can't find something remotely like that pretty fast, if you could just let me know who you're hosted through, I'll poke around for it. Then I can tell you, and it doesn't require a huge loss of time on your part. If you don't want to tell me though, that's understandable.

EDIT: It looks like the image, and title given to each user, is determined by the RANK of said user, and not by the group. You can, however, set the group to automatically give them a certain rank.

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Vroqren wrote:(There might be another rank for posts past 2000, as nobody has that though, I cannot check. *pokes Kreador Freeaxe to make 9 useful posts*)
I'm supposed to make useful posts? I guess I could make one more after this.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Well thank you, and once again, congratulations. As you were first, are there any particular colors you would suggest your username to be (Other than red of course)?

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Vroqren wrote:Well thank you, and once again, congratulations. As you were first, are there any particular colors you would suggest your username to be (Other than red of course)?
I like green. Not bright green, but this color green.
---

BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Vroqren wrote:Hmm. I am confident there is a simple (doesn't require coding) way to do this, but I am not quite sure what it is.
This is just a screenshot I took of my forums, and the field with the option to change it.
Yes, I've seen where I can change group colors, but ranks are just based off of posts- I don't have ranks linked to actual groups....yet.

It might be cool to have an "Officer's Club" where people of at least officer rank can privately discuss forum issues, suggest changes, and have first-level access to betas and such.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

"Beta", did anyone just say Beta? When, where, how, etc? Be careful BW, comments like that might awaken the sleeping hoards....
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Alright, just checking, that's 004040 (Not much different from black). In fact, this entire message is in that green. Just so you know, I'm not trying to get you to change your mind, just confirming. Anyway, we're still not entirely sure that we will be getting colored names.

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Vroqren wrote:Alright, just checking, that's 004040 (Not much different from black). In fact, this entire message is in that green. Just so you know, I'm not trying to get you to change your mind, just confirming. Anyway, we're still not entirely sure that we will be getting colored names.
It's sufficiently different from black for me, and yes, I could tell that your message was in that green. ;-) Though this green wouldn't be bad either. It's 408040.
---

Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I would advise having someone with red/green color blindness take a look at those ideas. I know people who would have an awful time separating the green print from the gray background.