Divinity - Original Sin

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Re: Divinity - Original Sin

Post by sirdilznik »

Update 15 - Homestead stretch goal reached and exploration.

Pretty cool that there will be whole "towns" to find if you go off the beaten path, not just a treasure chest behind a tree or whatever. Looking at how many days are left, they'll almost certainly reach the 650k Talents & Traits stretch goal. I'm still hopeful they can reach the 800k Henchmen Become Companions stretch goal, that;s the goal I want the most.
8)
Will Pay For Cloth Map
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

40 hours to go and the project is closing in on the 800k henchmen become companions stretch goal. Update 29 explains a bit about this and how having players disagree will affect companions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... A67YzyjU5E

Divinity: Original Sin
It's going to be awesome! :mrgreen:
Will Pay For Cloth Map
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

And it's going to have weresheep !
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

ManusDei wrote:And it's going to have weresheep !
Yeah, the weresheep thing is awesome. Some folks, at least one of them being a swell fella from the Obsidian Entertainment forums that also led the creation of the Obsidian Order of Eternity (which I am a member of), created the weresheep as a way for people to show more support for the game. Larian Studios liked this so much, they went ahead and added weresheep to the game and even made weresheep t-shirts!
:shock:
:mrgreen:

More about the editing tools:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... axKBhHTk1Q#!

More on companions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSGayO6d43w
Will Pay For Cloth Map
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

So, this Quickstarter was well funded, getting to almost $950k (well over the original goal of $400k).

What I'm unclear on is whether they threw in the last 'stretch' goal (at $1mil) or not.

A lot of Quickstarters have seemed to "throw in" the last 'stretch' goal even if it wasn't technically fully funded (i.e. they set it to "Achieved", even if the actual funding goal wasn't quite reached). But I can't tell if Divinity-Original Sin's is going to include the "day/night settings", etc. stretch goal or not.

So, anyone know?...
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

IJBall wrote:So, this Quickstarter was well funded, getting to almost $950k (well over the original goal of $400k).

What I'm unclear on is whether they threw in the last 'stretch' goal (at $1mil) or not.

A lot of Quickstarters have seemed to "throw in" the last 'stretch' goal even if it wasn't technically fully funded (i.e. they set it to "Achieved", even if the actual funding goal wasn't quite reached). But I can't tell if Divinity-Original Sin's is going to include the "day/night settings", etc. stretch goal or not.

So, anyone know?...
The 1 million stretch goal was met, Swen said it himself. There were other sources, such as PayPal, RPG Watch and RPG Codex, which pushed it over the 1 million threshold.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
dundonalddub
Senior Steward

Post by dundonalddub »

This is a beautiful, georgeous game and very different from Eschalon (and has a much steeper learning curve for battle). I have the beta version, and I really like it, except for the difficulty level. But I'm just a casual gamer. Some of you who are more experienced probably wouldn't get killed so often and would really love the game. :)
mercy
Apprentice

Post by mercy »

Their game would have needed at least 4 million so this 980K will be very palpable throughout Divinity - Original Sin.

Larian made their games so tasteless and borked and wrongly executed that they appear to be harmful to the RPG genre and personally I will be happy to see them dissolve. Would be good riddance. They seem to have sniffed out what successful RPGs have and they now set those as baits, but all they will effect somehow is destroy the reputation of the turn-based RPG genre, a true Charlatan's Work, I think.

Eschalon's fun is a magnitude higher and the whole attitude of Basilisk Games to RPG development is in a class on its own, compared to Larian.
Weird Heather
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Weird Heather »

I'll have to wait and see. I must admit that it looks promising in many ways. Divine Divinity is fun to explore, but I haven't yet taken the time to finish it. Original Sin looks like it might have fancy graphics that would slam my clunky old computers, so I'll have to pay close attention to the system requirements. Hopefully they will release a free demo that I could use to test my computers and see of one of them is up to the task. RPGs these days are hit-and-miss; sometimes, something looks very promising but fizzles out when I actually start playing it.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

I run on older machines too, and I'm not sure I'll be able to play this one. Never bothered to spring for 512M video, and that might kill it for me.

Of course, I've been able to play quite a few things that I apparently shouldn't be able to, so hard to tell.

There was a Divinity game that had dwarves as as character option - maybe Divine Divinity? That one I quite liked. Ran around with a cannon on my back blasting things. Awesome.
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

Weird Heather wrote:Hopefully they will release a free demo that I could use to test my computers and see of one of them is up to the task.
They usually do. And the game should be out on June 20th.