Sweet Tweet

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Sweet Tweet

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I'm sure BW was planning to post this here sometime, but just saw this posted to the Basilisk Games FB, as posted last night on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/BasiliskGames/statu ... 96/photo/1

Sweet. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Sweet Tweet

Post by Vroqren »

Awesome, I'm only getting more excited! :D

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
zbonek
Apprentice

Post by zbonek »

I don't trust. They do not support multi-language can, and then editor... Picture - a joke. My opinion. :-)
See http://balconyteam.com/. That would be a game if you will.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

zbonek wrote:I don't trust. They do not support multi-language can, and then editor... Picture - a joke. My opinion. :-)
We support any language. but we don't make enough profit to translate it ourselves. Instead, we have supplied the text files to a dozen different people who said they could translate the game into several languages, and no one has ever come through with a complete translation.

Then we had a group of Russians who got pissed off because I wanted them to translate the game the way I intended, so instead they hacked it and translated it their own way. I'm sure you can find a repackaged version of it somewhere in a Moscow black market software store.

And our editor- yep, it sucks. You got that right at least. But we can make an entire game from it so we have no need for additional bells and whistles.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:But we can make an entire game from it so we have no need for additional bells and whistles.
That's all that matters!

I'm not making a full-blown editor for my game either. Some things are obviously easier with an editor, but I can do other things faster just by editing the XML manually. In fact, I had no editor at all for my Dirk Dashing games. I built all the levels by hand-editing the XML. At the end of the day, the important thing is to finish the game and ship it.

By the way, thanks for sharing that picture. It was nice to get a glimpse of the kind of tools you're using!
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

zbonek wrote:I don't trust. They do not support multi-language can, and then editor... Picture - a joke. My opinion. :-)
Are you insane?
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I'm sure BW was planning to post this here sometime, but just saw this posted to the Basilisk Games FB, as posted last night on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/BasiliskGames/statu ... 96/photo/1

Sweet. :)

And now a serious question to BW - What are the two light sources for that map? Are they two campfires that don't show up as "lit" on the Map Editor? Or are the light sources from something else?

Just curious...
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

IJBall wrote:And now a serious question to BW - What are the two light sources for that map? Are they two campfires that don't show up as "lit" on the Map Editor? Or are the light sources from something else?

Just curious...
Right- maps flagged as 'outdoors' can be cycled through 3 color modes: full bright for editing, true map day colors, and true map night colors. That screen capture was done with true map night colors, which show torch and campfire illumination.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

I still don't see what this even means and I don't have the patience to translate its meaning.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Skid
Initiate

Post by Skid »

What the hell does this even mean? If you are calling the picture a joke, that's pretty bold seeing as we know next to nothing about the game. Kind of hard to go off one picture. And your quote reminds me of the "they need to way instain mother" thing. Look that up for a few laughs!
Arkos
Council Member

Post by Arkos »

Man, map-making can be so incredibly tedious. And yet the maps in Eschalon are always quite detailed. My hat goes off to all of the hard work BW puts into these games.
sakuramboo
Pledge

Post by sakuramboo »

Will the editor be ported to Linux as well?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

sakuramboo wrote:Will the editor be ported to Linux as well?
Unsure at this point. We only use the editor on a Windows workstation, so it has never been ported to anything else. We will release what we have after Book III is out.

Any updates to the editor (ports to other OSs, additional features, bug fixes) will be based on how well Book III sells. After its release we will immediately begin full-time work on the next project, so we will only support the Eschalon series and toolset as long as its continued sales allow us to.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Nice. But the best thing I noticed...

Book II graphics included. 8)
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

BW, I'm reasonably confident Book III will sell excellently. EVeryone on this forum is here because they love the games, and not everyone who plays the games is on the forums.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
mercy
Apprentice

Post by mercy »

I remember a big developer in the past - was it Valve or Bioware or id? - mentioning frequent employment of the sh*t-filter on game content to let through decent stuff and stop bad art, bad design during progression through milestones.

I really liked the tweet because of this.

Also the Team established a unique look, different from Baldurs Gate. More generic / tiled but very nicely detailed and to the pixel-sharp art, wich is welcome since the human eye can get little grip on blurry pixels.

Also Eschalons font is super clean and readable. I hope we can get a bigger FONT option in III. Or at least please allow run in lower resolutions like 800x600 or 1024x768 to see the fonts better.