1st screenshots of my RPG

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
quasimodo
Marshall

Re: 1st screenshots of my RPG

Post by quasimodo »

I can't get into RPG's with that kind of character art. I've tried, but it just doesn't work for me.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

quasimodo wrote:I can't get into RPG's with that kind of character art. I've tried, but it just doesn't work for me.
This is probably an impertinent question, but can I ask – how old are you?

The reason I ask is that the proposed style of artwork here is probably pretty natural to those of us that grew up with 1990s (or [gulp!] even earlier!!) video games and CRPGs, but I bet they do come off as pretty awful to the younger set that have only set eyes on 2000s and 2010s video-game graphics...
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

I'm 56. I grew up before computer games. I would prefer ASCII characters to SD (super deformed) characters. Something about the cartoony look just won't allow me to take the game seriously.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

CrazyBernie wrote:Looks pretty slick! Are you planning on doing the "Character Train" style of movement (a la Spiderweb), or having a single character representing the party (say, like Final Fantasy), or just having individual character movement?
Thanks! I'll be doing a train style movement for group/follow mode, where the player controls the party leader and the rest of the party follows along. But you'll be able to turn group/follow mode on/off at will, so you can move each character separately - like when you want to send a single stealthy character to scout ahead, or if you want one character to cover the door while other characters are doing something else. And of course when combat begins, group/follow mode is toggled off automatically.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

quasimodo wrote:I'm 56. I grew up before computer games. I would prefer ASCII characters to SD (super deformed) characters. Something about the cartoony look just won't allow me to take the game seriously.
I hear what you're saying. The only reason for choosing to do that style of character art is cost. The animation cost for doing a more realistic-style set of characters is just too prohibitive for me as an indie. But I can get away with fewer animation frames by using SD characters, which helps tremendously.

Personally, I don't mind the look of the Final Fantasy Tactics style of characters - yes, they are more cartoony than I originally wanted, but the proportions are better than those used in RPG Maker style games (those characters have insanely large heads and tiny bodies - ugh!). Besides, those are just the in-game avatars, and they're fairly small - the character portraits are larger and will have a more serious look to them. And I'm hoping to make up for the more cartoony art in other areas of the game, such as some wickedly-cool spell effects and beautiful scenery.
Troy
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

I'll give it a fair chance. I'm a big supporter of indie RPGs, but I have a pretty low tolerance for "cuteness".
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

quasimodo wrote:I'll give it a fair chance. I'm a big supporter of indie RPGs, but I have a pretty low tolerance for "cuteness".
I totally agree.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Cuteness is definitely not the look I'm going for! :)
Troy
mr. sneakers
Initiate

Post by mr. sneakers »

The wife is a big Dirk Dashing fan and is excited about this game your working on!

About characters, I like traditional, like the Echalon format but if the plot line is good the game is good. Your trees and pathways look fine. Hang in there and keep at it, we wish you the best of success. :)
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

mr. sneakers wrote:The wife is a big Dirk Dashing fan and is excited about this game your working on!

About characters, I like traditional, like the Echalon format but if the plot line is good the game is good. Your trees and pathways look fine. Hang in there and keep at it, we wish you the best of success. :)
Thanks, Mr. Sneakers!

Sorry to get everyone's hopes up about this new game, but I've had a sudden change in plans. My health has now deteriorated to the point where I no longer have the strength/stamina to keep working 2 jobs (the paying job wins), so I have to close up shop indefinitely. I explained everything in my final newsletter here: http://www.mygamecompany.com/Newsletters/october13.htm

I'll still be dropping in here from time to time - I'm looking forward to playing Eschalon Book 3!
Troy
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

This is most unfortunate. I believe we all understand though. The most important thing is that you can support yourself though. I wish you all the luck in the world, that hopefully, your health will increase to the point that you can continue.
Thanks for the games you've already made for us!

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

MyGameCompany wrote:Sorry to get everyone's hopes up about this new game, but I've had a sudden change in plans. My health has now deteriorated to the point where I no longer have the strength/stamina to keep working 2 jobs (the paying job wins), so I have to close up shop indefinitely. I explained everything in my final newsletter here: http://www.mygamecompany.com/Newsletters/october13.htm
Oh...no, no that's not good at all. Really, really sorry to hear this Troy. I hope that you secretly find time to keep plugging away at this RPG in your spare time. :wink:
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Awww, this is really sad news. While your health comes first, it is sad to hear that you are having to quit doing the thing you enjoy the most. Darn it all!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Oh, no! :(

Well... I don't know what to say. The news sucks. Hope you're better soon, MGC.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

That sucks man! Sorry to hear about your health and having to close up the game company for now.

Hope your health gets better and you can go back to doing what you love someday.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.