BETA TESTING INFO HERE!!

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

BETA TESTING INFO HERE!!

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

BETA TESTING QUESTIONS/ANSWERS:

"WHAT IS THE SCHEDULE FOR BETA TESTING?"
- Starting this Saturday, January 11, we will select two people to test the game.

- Every Saturday thereafter we will have a new version to test which will be comprised of fixes from the prior week as well as finalized content that will be freshly added. We will bring in two new testers every Saturday to play this latest beta, and any previous tester from prior weeks is welcome to re-test as well, but will not be obligated to do so.

- We will continue this weekly testing schedule until the week before launch. This means if you apply now for a beta tester position but we don't contact you this week, you still have a good chance at being a tester later on. Be patient and watch for an email from us!

“WILL I BE TESTING THE WHOLE GAME?”
The beta version you will be testing is not complete. You will not be able to finish the game in the traditional sense, but you will be able to reach nearly the end. You will see that some maps towards the end are missing content. This content is being finished and finalized now. New content will be added to the weekly beta releases for all new and previous beta testers to look at.

“WHAT IS EXPECTED OF ME AS A BETA TESTER?”
We need people who are proficient at locating spelling, grammar and punctuation errors. We also need players to balance the game for us- play it and tell us what needs to be adjusted to ensure the game is challenging and enjoyable. It is unlikely that you will find game crashing bugs, but you certainly could still find minor bugs here and there which you will need to report.

We will listen to all your suggestions for improvements, and if you have a “doable” request we might even be able to put it in the game, but please don't think that a suggestion like “You should add a multiplayer mode!” will be taken seriously.

As you reach the end of the game, we will want a copy of your last saved game. We will use your developed character to balance the final section of the game. If you are unsure of how to locate a folder on your computer and .ZIP it up, then you should reconsider being a beta tester.

“SO HOW DO I APPLY FOR A BETA TESTER POSITION?”
It's very simple really. All you have to do is send an email to info AT basiliskgames DOT com. The subject must say “Beta Tester Application” or your email will not even make it past the initial filter. In the email you must tell us about yourself. What games you like to play, have you ever beta tested anything before, what do you do for a living, etc. We also need to know the important things like your real name, your Drunken Lizard Pub username (if applicable), and where you live (city/state/country).

Other than the information requested above, you need to convince us that you will be a good tester for our game. Are you a real fan of the series or just someone looking to get a free copy of an unreleased game? Will you stick it out through the whole test, or get bored after a couple days and then disappear?

Formatting, spelling, grammar and punctuation is important (it's the attention to detail that we're looking for). Convince us that you are the right person for the job, and you'll likely get chosen. However, depending on how many emails we get, we cannot promise anyone a spot on the beta testing team. Don't take it personally- if you don't get contacted it's not that you aren't awesome, it just means we received more applications than we had openings for. There are approximately 10 beta tester spots available and in the past we have averaged 75-100 qualified applications for beta testing.

"WHAT DO I GET AS A BETA TESTER?"
A free game. You'll be given a code to unlock your beta version, and this code will be good for all future versions that are released. You also get to see your name in the credits, which is cool I guess.

Questions? Ask here and I shall answer.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
darkhartx1
Initiate

Re: BETA TESTING INFO HERE!!

Post by darkhartx1 »

I sort of wish you'd release an early access on steam for beta testing purposes. Allow people just buy the game then and there. Income would start before the game is even officially released.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ~ Louis Hector Berlioz"
Ssschah
Council Member

Post by Ssschah »

^No offense but the point of beta testing is not to make profit, it's to fix bugs and errors so that when the game is released it is complete and prepared. Then and only then should it make profit. The new come pay-to-get betas are just wrong. On another note, I'm excited for this opportunity BW!
Edit: I forgot to ask, if one is selected as a beta tester, are they expected to finish the game within the week they are chosen?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

From alpha testing, BW found that testers that have played an earlier Eschalon game go through it faster than others. Unless you step on every game tile you should get through in a week.

Some bugs that are found are fun, unless you have to fix them. :)
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Randomizer wrote:Unless you step on every game tile you should get through in a week.
Dang, I guess I don't fit the criteria then...

In all seriousness though, this is very exciting news BW! I look forward to February 14th more and more each time I think about it!

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Thynar
Apprentice

Post by Thynar »

Ssschah wrote:^No offense but the point of beta testing is not to make profit, it's to fix bugs and errors so that when the game is released it is complete and prepared. Then and only then should it make profit. The new come pay-to-get betas are just wrong. On another note, I'm excited for this opportunity BW!
Edit: I forgot to ask, if one is selected as a beta tester, are they expected to finish the game within the week they are chosen?
Yeah! I agree with this gentleman!

I'd also like to apply for the testing of the beta.
mercy
Apprentice

Post by mercy »

Select the best betatesters Basilisk Team for a wonderful bug-hunting and fixing!
munster
Senior Steward

Post by munster »

Can the beta testers see if, when the character learns the difference between a rock and a potato, that knowledge sticks and they don't have to re-identify "is this rock? is this potato?" every time they encounter one afterwards? :)
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

munster wrote:Can the beta testers see if, when the character learns the difference between a rock and a potato, that knowledge sticks and they don't have to re-identify "is this rock? is this potato?" every time they encounter one afterwards? :)
Alas, the new rock might be slightly different than the previous rock. They may look the same to an untrained eye, but the differences could still be significant if you aren't a rock expert :?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Painted Lady wrote: Alas, the new rock might be slightly different than the previous rock. They may look the same to an untrained eye, but the differences could still be significant if you aren't a rock expert :?
They're MINERALS, Marie!