Storyline Questions [Heavy Spoilers]

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Storyline Questions [Heavy Spoilers]

Post by Randomizer »

In Book I the paper trail you left for yourself eventually leads you to your brother who was captured by the Goblins in Vela. In Book II Darus and Korren refer to your brother as "another guild member". Why don't they mention that he was your brother?

Some groups refer to members as brothers even without a biological relationship.

In Book II we discover in Fathamurk that it is possible to create portals through physical space, allowing travel to the past and the future with the use of a crystal mineral called Candecium. There are two portals that demonstrate this by sending you a second into the past or the future when stepped on. How does it work? If you go back in time and stop yourself from using the portal, does that mean you no longer exist? And if not does that mean you could abuse time travel and get yourself several Plasma Wands?

I tested this with a chronometer and there was no time difference beyond normal time travelled. So these portals were either purely spatial or not set for time.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Randomizer wrote:I tested this with a chronometer and there was no time difference beyond normal time travelled. So these portals were either purely spatial or not set for time.
Time travel doesn't affect devices that show the time. If you take a clock to yesterday midnight it still says 9.13.
Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:In Book I you can ask Erubor about the Orakur. He tells you he knows "very little about them" but "that they exist" and he doubts "they are a threat to anyone." In Book II if you tell Korren not to destroy the Crux stones because of what Shina told you he will say "there are no such things as Orakur." If Erubor knows about the Orakur why doesn't Korren? Or was Korren lying to you, and if so for what purpose?
Korren doesn't believe in the Orakur.
Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:In Book II why does Darus, Korren, Erubor, Sparrow and Shina not use your real name? According to the sealed note you leave for yourself in Aridell the name you think you remember was imprinted into your mind. Wouldn't they use your real name?
Maybe your name in Book II is your real name?
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

All right, you bested me. TBH, I have no idea.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:I'm probably discussing things that haven't been considered or fleshed out by Basilisk Games. Most players sadly only care to discuss the story when they get upset with what they find in Talushorn.

I wonder if Basilisk Games are fed up with me posting about the story all the time. :P
I'm just guessing here, but I'd have to think that's "Hell, no."
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:...Book II starts in the year 727...
It's worth noting that this date is nowhere confirmed in Book II (at least, AFAICR...). That date was posted on the forums by BW before Book II's release, but this date is not mentioned in-game. In fact, I almost get the impression that more than 2 years has passed between Book I and Book II, based on Book II's preamble... FWIW.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

PM - please note that despite my best intention, I could have messed up on some dates. All great authors, from Tolkien to Rowling (no I am not comparing myself to them, only using them as a reference to make a point) have had to make revisions on their literary work to account for historical inconsistencies.

The general storyline for Eschalon has remained solid since 2005, however some details have evolved along with the games themselves. Anyway, so far, I believe all your questions will be answered when you play Book 3, but I certainly look forward to discussing the full plot details after Book 3 is released to fill in any holes that linger.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
Erubor wrote:Before you stands a tall, slender mage in shimmering blue robes. "Greetings Memnon. It is wonderful to see you again. I do not know if you remember me, but I assisted you a couple years ago during your time in Thaermore. It was a desperate time for us but I knew you would come through. I believed in you then, just as I do now."
We know Book I starts in 725 because of the calendar in Aridell.
A "couple of years ago" is actually non-specific ("two years ago" would be specific) - so it could certainly be 728, or possibly even 729, based on that phrasing...
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

It's hard to get exact dates for things like beginning dates of sequels, or even ending dates, as I proved with Steve Jobs (who I never got to finish, due to my brother wiping our hardrive without my consent :cry: . That's alright though, I was planning on buying each again, this time on steam anyway)
By the time I was just camping Rift Harpies to get to the maximum level, I had spent well over a year and a half in game.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Speaking of this, I recently got a new computer (My old Vista finally gave up, now I have a 7). I still have the old hard drive and is it possible to just move the folders into the new hard drive? The AppData folder (where all the important stuff is kept) tranferred without a problem, but do I need a new launcher and Datapak?

EDIT: Yeah, I know, Off-Topic as heck.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

IJBall wrote:
Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:...Book II starts in the year 727...
It's worth noting that this date is nowhere confirmed in Book II (at least, AFAICR...). That date was posted on the forums by BW before Book II's release, but this date is not mentioned in-game. In fact, I almost get the impression that more than 2 years has passed between Book I and Book II, based on Book II's preamble... FWIW.
Following up on my own post, somewhere in Book III the year "729" is mentioned - I think it's given as the year Thaermore fell. If so, that would put Book II after that, possibly 730. Presumably, Book III would then begin in 730, or 731 (depending on how many "game days" it took you to complete Book II!... ;) ).
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

IJBall wrote: Following up on my own post, somewhere in Book III the year "729" is mentioned - I think it's given as the year Thaermore fell. If so, that would put Book II after that, possibly 730. Presumably, Book III would then begin in 730, or 731 (depending on how many "game days" it took you to complete Book II!... ;) ).
Remember that
[+] SPOILER
you are also sent forward in time between Book II and Book III, only 6 months or so, but it's not instantly following.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.