Goblins of steel

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Goblins of steel

Post by AK_Marty »

I'm a level 9, bows at 6 and I can't kill a goblin with a base damage 6 bow?
Did BW feed these guys steroids since Book II? What is everyone's favorite way to off these critters? :evil: :!:
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
okashii
Senior Steward

Re: Goblins of steel

Post by okashii »

Goblins take two lvl6 Ice Lances to kill so I'm guessing they have like 150HP, you can kill them with a lvl6 Spark spell if you are standing far enough, make sure it's raining for bonus damage.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

The recipee for killing most any enemy that bugs you is;

TNT + Haste potion

The only way I could off that fucken blacksmith in the mines in E2 (at the level you are supposed to have when you get there).

It even works on certain gigantic metal men that are infuriatingly crazy overpowered (if you have enough TNT).
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

AK_Marty wrote:I'm a level 9, bows at 6 and I can't kill a goblin with a base damage 6 bow?
For archers it's stil best to get your bow skill at 10 early. Then you can use your feat, which gives triple damage. Use power mode when using the feat, since it's a guaranteed hit. You'll easily do some 50 - 100 damage then, which is a good start for bringing down a goblin.
The quality of your bow matters less, the base damage of the bow is only a small part of total damage inflicted, and light bows have the advantage that they don't interfere with spell casting.
When playing with weapon wear on it's a good idea to go out with a bunch of bows, because after a feat shot and a few more arrows a bow will not be in top shape anymore. I finished the game as an archer with 5 bows on me in total and I was constantly alternating between them. A couple of simple 2-damage bows remained my favourites, since they didn't interfere with spell casting.

The goblins are the most pesky creatures in the game by some margin, there are many of them and they have lots of hitpoints. I don't know if you've been to Mirkland yet, but for an archer that would be an easier area.
peko
Initiate

Post by peko »

My level 9 char has 14 in bows and goblins are still a bit problematic. In this case I think that a relatively low hit chance is a bigger problem than low damage.
When fighting tough monsters I'll usually kite and make liberal use of the feat. I don't really think that is a viable tactic for you though, without the feat I doubt you'll be able to defeat the goblins with a bow. At least not without umpteen arrows and a lot of tedium. I'm guessing you have another, primary, way to deal damage. You should go with that, or increase your bow skill.
As mentioned above explosive barrels are an option but I think it'd be rather tedious to use to clear out all the goblins.
munster
Senior Steward

Post by munster »

This is obviously natural selection in action; we killed off all the easy-prey Goblins in Books I and II and left the field clear for the super-tough Goblins to reproduce, not to mention spend their time training in order to prepare for their blood-feud with the adventurer who slaughtered their kin.

Now we're reaping the fruits of our folly :lol:
OfficerX
Pledge

Post by OfficerX »

Leezar wrote:The recipee for killing most any enemy that bugs you is;

TNT + Haste potion

The only way I could off that fucken blacksmith in the mines in E2 (at the level you are supposed to have when you get there).
The fucken blacksmith is a bit
[+] SPOILER
dumb and can be killed easily using the electric charge in a door nearby in the cave.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

I may have to use the same tactic I used in the Seawarden's hall, lob a flask of toxic aura then make them run laps until they die :twisted: :mrgreen:
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
severian
Senior Steward

Post by severian »

haste, demon oil barrier, -> keensight, bless, shootem`up
haste, demon oil barrier, -> fortitude, use magic
haste, invisibility, bless -> charge
Ogbebaba
Initiate

Post by Ogbebaba »

Upon my first encounter with goblins I found them to be way out of my league, so I resorted to old faithful. (It's probably cheating) My cheesy tactic for killing things I shouldn't even be fighting is to lead them to a border and when my mana or hit points get low I cross to the other side heal up & recharge then cross back to finish them off. If I am fighting something that can one shot me I cross the border move along it and re-enter at a safe distance from my opponent, shoot them on till they close the distance I gained on the other side then rinse an repeat till they are dead