Witch's house chest puzzle

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
mrnobodie
Pledge

Witch's house chest puzzle

Post by mrnobodie »

For the life of me I cannot figure it out & it's doing my head in. The potrait behind it has a 5 with a red border. What do I need to put into this chest?
I Stand Alone
Ssschah
Council Member

Re: Witch's house chest puzzle

Post by Ssschah »

[+] SPOILER
The 5 represents 5.0lb (pounds) worth of items. They can be any items as long as they sum to 5.
mrnobodie
Pledge

Post by mrnobodie »

Well, that's deceptively simple. I never would of figured that out. Whoever came up with that needs a pat on the back & a punch in the nose.
I Stand Alone
SharpXe
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by SharpXe »

this is standart weight sign from IRL.
use water skin (it can be set to 5 easy)
mbrowne
Steward

Post by mbrowne »

SharpXe wrote:this is standart weight sign from IRL.
Where in real life is that a standard weight sign?
SharpXe
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by SharpXe »

google ban only in extreme cases you know?
hakea
Apprentice

Post by hakea »

I think that the best clue was in the description:

"You see a basic oak chest sitting upon some kind of floor plate"
[+] SPOILER
I often rush reading the captions, or miss them, so the first thing I tried was 5 red things (potion bottles). But - once I actually read the description again properly - the words "floor plate" immediately suggested some kind of pressure plate. I had no idea that the shape was supposed to be a weight symbol, but a deliberate weight seemed like a reasonably obvious thing to try on a pressure plate. Pleasantly surprised when it actually worked… Maybe it would be easier if it specifically said "pressure plate"?
mbrowne
Steward

Post by mbrowne »

mbrowne wrote:
SharpXe wrote:this is standart weight sign from IRL.
Where in real life is that a standard weight sign?
SharpXe wrote:google ban only in extreme cases you know?
No idea what that means. I was wondering if you are saying that the trapezoid outline around the "5" is a weight sign somewhere in real life?
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

mrnobodie wrote:For the life of me I cannot figure it out & it's doing my head in. The potrait behind it has a 5 with a red border. What do I need to put into this chest?
A few of us think this one might be a tad unfair/too hard - see here (forward - look for "Raiders of the Lost Ark"...).

If this were on a side-quest, not crucial to completing the game, I think it would be totally fair, and I'd leave it.

But considering that it's crucial to the main quest-line, and most of us are completely missing how to approach it, I think the clue either needs to be made clearer, or there needs to be a 'workaround' (e.g. by powder keg) put in there...
Eddy
Initiate

Post by Eddy »

hakea wrote:I think that the best clue was in the description:

"You see a basic oak chest sitting upon some kind of floor plate"
[+] SPOILER
I often rush reading the captions, or miss them, so the first thing I tried was 5 red things (potion bottles). But - once I actually read the description again properly - the words "floor plate" immediately suggested some kind of pressure plate. I had no idea that the shape was supposed to be a weight symbol, but a deliberate weight seemed like a reasonably obvious thing to try on a pressure plate. Pleasantly surprised when it actually worked… Maybe it would be easier if it specifically said "pressure plate"?
I didn't catch that. :oops: This was the other riddle I needed help on.

I agree that should have lead me to the answer - the problem is I wasn't paying attention. I too tried quantity of items first.

I don't think the trapezoid is any kind of symbol for weight unless it has that circle above it like this:
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Eddy wrote:I don't think the trapezoid is any kind of symbol for weight unless it has that circle above it like this:
+1

That was basically my point in the other thread I linked to...
Eddy
Initiate

Post by Eddy »

The "floor plate" was a pretty good clue. I did miss it though.

I don't mind a real head scratcher or ten in a game like this. I really like the puzzles.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Eddy wrote:I don't mind a real head scratcher or ten in a game like this. I really like the puzzles.
I don't mind it either, as long as the really hard or vague ones are not on the main quest-line - the problem was that this one was on the main quest-line...
Eddy
Initiate

Post by Eddy »

IJBall wrote:
Eddy wrote:I don't mind a real head scratcher or ten in a game like this. I really like the puzzles.
I don't mind it either, as long as the really hard or vague ones are not on the main quest-line - the problem was that this one was on the main quest-line...
I hear your point. IMO it wasn't "too hard" for a main story line puzzle. Certainly a tricky one. But not that ridiculous IMO.

Obviously others may disagree.
HALgamer
Initiate

Post by HALgamer »

Now that I put 5 pounds in the chest nothing happens. What does this do? I've searched all around the area and can't find what it opened or did.