Colorblindness

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Colorblindness

Post by Vroqren »

Right now I'm working on my walkthrough for Book III quite a bit (though I really should be writing my research paper), and wanted to make this one both easier, and more in depth than previous walkthroughs.
I wanted to color code the sections so that it would be a little bit easier to navigate, though I worry that colorblind people may not be able to see the colors I use (Or rather, distinguish them from the gray background of the forums).
So first off, is anyone here colorblind? If so, can you distinguish the following colors from the color of the background? It will also help to know if any of them are too faint against the background for people who aren't colorblind.

Blue
Green
Red
Yellow
Magenta
Cyan

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Colorblindness

Post by Vroqren »

If I understand correctly, the colors are different on the two alternating posts for easier reading. That means this must be tested here as well.

Blue
Green
Red
Yellow
Magenta
Cyan

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

I can see all the colors, so im not blind to them ;)
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Yellow on the lighter background is kind of hard to read, and I wouldn't want to read very much in any color but blue, red, and magenta on either background.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Good to know. I'm not color blind, but on both I'm having a hard time distinguishing letters in the yellow without slightly straining. Cyan and Magenta are also bad, but not as bad as yellow.
I may end up changing those 3 colors.
SpottedShroom wrote:Yellow on the lighter background is kind of hard to read, and I wouldn't want to read very much in any color but blue, red, and magenta on either background.
The only things that would be color coordinated would be the titles of the section, and the labeling in the table of contents.
Sorry I didn't clarify that.

What do you guys think about these six:
Red
Green
Blue
Orange
Dark Cyan
Dark Magenta
Last edited by Vroqren on February 27th, 2014, 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

And the lighter background:
Red
Green
Blue
Orange
Dark Cyan
Dark Magenta

mbrowne
Steward

Post by mbrowne »

I don't know that there is a lot to be gained by coloring those elements, and potentially loss of readability.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I do see your point, and while my original goal was to make the navigation a little bit easier, I can see how it would detract from the overall product.
Anyone else think I should or shouldn't use the colors?

kelticpete
Council Member

Post by kelticpete »

The green is yucky to read and the yellow is worse the rest are ok though red is iffy
Pax,

Pete

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is the Great Pink Vorpal Bunny. Copy and paste Pink Vorpal Bunny on your signature to help gain Pink Vorpal Bunny gain world domination!
JewelCG
Apprentice

Post by JewelCG »

Instead of using colors how about just different font sizes and underlining?
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I'm using different font sizes to differentiate topics and sub topics from information.
I'm trying the colors to differentiate topics from each other. Only the topic name itself would be colored, though I think I will forgo this entirely now - it's just too hard to get 6 (now 7 actually) colors that all show up well, and are unique enough from each other.

Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Also, Vroqren, if you happen to want to talk about me — and I know sometimes people are inclined toward that topic (what can I say? My name starts with E and has syllables) — I'm absolutely no appreciator of pure yellow under/within most contexts (although, against dark brown I'm actually okay with it . . . and ochre, it's worth noting, is really much kinder than yellow to my punishingly sensitive system (but there, too, generally only against brown) ) . . . so, keep in mind, Vroqren (and anyone else, really), that if you do not use yellow in a Lizard Pub post then I will really like you for it and maybe even write a lame but well-meaning song in your honor. ;) !

...But, if you should dare use yellow against red — or vice versa — I will be forced to cry a lot while taking random pills because I can't identify them through my voluminous tears.

...On the other hand, if you use dark brown text or strong red text (except against yellow), I will dub you Friend for Life. ...And write you a lame but well-meaning & heartfelt song.

So, those would be the stipulations . . . although you're certainly free to tell me to go slap myself, in which case I'll understand fully, and right away hire somebody to slap me... since I'm also too weak to actually do that myself.

(Now, to answer your question: Yes, all those colors are easy for me to read on both backgrounds, except, well, yellow, which is not. Can't speak for those who are color-blind, though. :| )
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Okay. I think I'm going to go with these colors for my final 7 (I added a section). Tell me if there are any complaints, or if you just think I shouldn't do it anyway. The colors would be only on the section heading, for the sake of easy identification.

Red
Dark Green
Blue
Dark Orange
Dark Cyan
Dark Magenta
Brown

Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

That looks awesome by me. I approve.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.