Lantern Refilling Question

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
IJBall
Major
Major

Lantern Refilling Question

Post by IJBall »

Question: Do lanterns have to be totally empty before you can refill them safely in Book III?

Because I've tried refilling a lantern, with Level 1 in Alchemy, twice now, and both times the mixing failed, and the resulting "poof" ended up taking HPs off me or my armor.

So, either there's certain order the reagents have to placed in the Alchemy Mixer box (I always do 'Wick', then 'Lamp Oil', and 'Lantern' on top), or you need to be higher than Level 1 in Alchemy to mix a lantern (which I'm doubting!...), or your lantern needs to be completely empty before you can refill it...

So, anyone know which it is? Or what I'm doing wrong?!...
Last edited by IJBall on March 8th, 2014, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tungprc
Marshall

Re: Lantern Refilling Question

Post by tungprc »

I've got alchemy 17 and I can't fill lanterns either. They explode.
CynVicious
Initiate

Post by CynVicious »

Do you have the recipe? I don't know if that makes a difference.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

CynVicious wrote:Do you have the recipe? I don't know if that makes a difference.
I definitely had the recipe both times I tried to refill the lantern. (And I don't think that should make a difference - I'd test that, if I could!!...)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Looks like there are two probably related issues here - one, it's impossible to refill a lantern using what are supposed to be the right ingredients - lamp oil, cotton wick, and lantern. It doesn't matter your Alchemy skill, it always blows up in your face. Two, clicking on the recipe in your list will always complain "One or more of the ingredients needed to make this mixture were not found." I would guess that the "right" recipe has an error in it, and so is looking for an item that doesn't exist, which would explain both bugs.

But here's a bug in your favor to make you feel better: you can use repair to refill lanterns. Equip one that's partially used, leave the equip window open, and make camp. Watch the level creep back up.