Possible Bug - Alt Tab Encounters

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
Jazzepi
Initiate

Possible Bug - Alt Tab Encounters

Post by Jazzepi »

I have what I think is a bug. I usually multitask a lot, so I end up alt-tabbing out of full screen games. I'd run Eschalon in a window, but it's too tiny and dark, things are hard to make out! So I just run it full screen.

Anyways, when I'm camping and I try to alt-tab out, it seems like 95% of the time when I alt tab out, I *immediately* activate an encounter. I can hear the rustling sounds of an encounter happening. This is hard to verify because obviously the window isn't in front of me.

Jazzepi
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Yes, this is a known issue. When you alt-tab, the game does not freeze but rather it starts going at hyper-speed. Encounters seem to happen right away because you are sleeping for many hours in the span of just a second.

If you camp long enough, you will eventually have a random encounter. Sometimes it may take 2-3 virtual days, but eventually it will happen. You are just seeing the effects of this happening very quickly.

My advice is to not camp when you alt-tab. You can just stand there and nothing will happen to you.
Jazzepi
Initiate

Post by Jazzepi »

I thought that might be the issue. I tested it a few times and came back with a few hundred hours of sleep racked up.

Jazzepi
Claw
Apprentice

Post by Claw »

Funny. I can't Alt-Tab out of the game at all, or rather the game quits when I try to return to it.