hostile townspeople (Minor Spoiler, Maybe)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Calathon
Marshall

Re: hostile townspeople (Minor Spoiler, Maybe)

Post by Calathon »

Maybe there already is a limit. The highest amount of money I have ever possessed was ca. 24k gold, so I cannot say if Lucky keeps up indefinitely. I personally would prefer that he has a limit which should not exceed 2000 gold, though. More than that would give me the feeling that I am the one who is in desperate need of money. :wink:
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:Perhaps there should be a limit on how much you can gamble with Lucky?
I was successfully able to double more than 60k, so if there's a limit it's pretty darn high.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:
Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:Perhaps there should be a limit on how much you can gamble with Lucky?
I was successfully able to double more than 60k, so if there's a limit it's pretty darn high.
I doubt there is a 'cap' on this in v1.00, and there probably should be.

But 2,000 GP may be too low - to have some fun with this, I think the cap should maybe be 2,500-3,500 GP.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

SpottedShroom wrote:He might also be too strong for Dazzling Flame to affect. I confess I think it's a crappy spell and never learn it, so I'm not 100% on how it works.
Yeah, Lucky's too strong for Dazzling Flame (or perhaps he's actually got special code to make him invulnerable). The first time I gambled with him he turned out to be far too powerful for my char, and even a lvl6 Dazzling Flame didn't turn him away.

(And slightly offtopic, I actually found Dazzling Flame to be a pretty essential spell in the early game for my mage - anything which could close to melee range could mess me up pretty well, and Dazzling Flame was pretty great for crowd control, especially when dealing with ranged weapons (I never found Dense Nimbus until extremely late in the game)).
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:(And slightly offtopic, I actually found Dazzling Flame to be a pretty essential spell in the early game for my mage - anything which could close to melee range could mess me up pretty well, and Dazzling Flame was pretty great for crowd control, especially when dealing with ranged weapons (I never found Dense Nimbus until extremely late in the game)).
Yes - I really like Book III's iteration of the Dazzling Flame spell: DF has worked on everything I've tried it on so far (even Beholders!!). DF and Turn Undead are two of my favorite Book III spells. :)
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

SpottedShroom wrote:A flask of charm cloud or the charm spell is the only non-cheating way to make people friendly again, and it won't work on Valx, the mage in Old Moonrise, because he's too powerful. The cheating ways are to delete the 4849.* files from your save directory or to use the map editor to manually change their "friendly" value.
Charm seems to be pretty useless. It doesn't work on the guards in Moonrise either, even at L6 which is as high as you can go. In my second game I deliberately stole from a barrel in Moonrise, making sure no one could see me, or hear me , the barrel was not closed. I then checked everyone in the town and all was cool. so I left Moonrise and went about my business. When I came back the guard that was closest to me when I stole was now hostile. So I then used Charm L6 on him to no effect. Now my only alternative was to kill him. So I let him chase me out of town as far as we could get which was a long ways. After killing him I went back to town only to find one of the only two guards left now hostile, no one else. He couldn't have seen or heard me kill his buddy. So I lured him out to the same place and murdered him too. Went back to town to find that the man sitting at the table in the store anxious to kill me. I didn't want to kill him because he had a quest for me. Fortunately Charm did work on him. All that for the 2 gold coins in the barrel. This was very odd because in other places you can steal right under someones nose and they don't care. Strange and inconsistent.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

noname wrote: Charm seems to be pretty useless. It doesn't work on the guards in Moonrise either, even at L6 which is as high as you can go. In my second game I deliberately stole from a barrel in Moonrise, making sure no one could see me, or hear me , the barrel was not closed. I then checked everyone in the town and all was cool. so I left Moonrise and went about my business. When I came back the guard that was closest to me when I stole was now hostile. So I then used Charm L6 on him to no effect. Now my only alternative was to kill him. So I let him chase me out of town as far as we could get which was a long ways. After killing him I went back to town only to find one of the only two guards left now hostile, no one else. He couldn't have seen or heard me kill his buddy. So I lured him out to the same place and murdered him too. Went back to town to find that the man sitting at the table in the store anxious to kill me. I didn't want to kill him because he had a quest for me. Fortunately Charm did work on him. All that for the 2 gold coins in the barrel. This was very odd because in other places you can steal right under someones nose and they don't care. Strange and inconsistent.
Charm is plenty useful - it's good against groups of enemies, and it's helpful for letting you steal from NPCs. You just can't use it on powerful enemies and NPCs.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:Charm is plenty useful - it's good against groups of enemies, and it's helpful for letting you steal from NPCs. You just can't use it on powerful enemies and NPCs.
But I think the point does remain that there are too many Mobs and NPCs that are totally immune to Charm spell.

That definitely makes sense for "Mob bosses", like the Emayu Witch, but I'm not sure it makes sense in too many other cases, and I definitely think Guards should be susceptible to Charm spells at Level 6.

The way spells are set up right now, it's:

Dazzling Flame (assuming its few bugs are worked out) >> Charm >> Entangle

As it is now, Dazzling Flame is incredibly powerful in Book III (note: I am not complaining about this!! ;) ), Charm is often useless, and Entangle is almost entirely useless (to the point that I think it should have been cut from the series after Book I...).

Aside: I sure would like to get a look at the Milo's Cell of Holding spell... Why did BW cut that one again?!...
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I never even saw Milo's Cell of Holding during testing so maybe BW created it and never found the room to place it instead of another spell.

Graven Idol replaced a Beast Summoning spell that wasn't working right.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

IJBall wrote: Aside: I sure would like to get a look at the Milo's Cell of Holding spell... Why did BW cut that one again?!...
I added it to my character with the editor to see what state it's in, and it doesn't work at all. I imagine BW didn't get very far into implementation before he decided it wasn't going to work.