Eschalon: Book III Version 1.021

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Eschalon: Book III Version 1.021

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

VERSION 1.01 CHANGES
[Fixed] Forgotten spells are dropped from Quickselect so they can't be cast
[Fixed] Alundar's dungeon closes (under certain conditions) if player leaves that map.
[Fixed] Shrock unlimited Skills Permit Bug
[Fixed] Unlimited gold bug from Logi in Rockhammer
[Fixed] A couple badly placed swicthes causing problems when people used powder kegs / Minor map adjustments
[Fixed] Command + Q exits game (MacOS)

VERSION 1.02 CHANGES
[Fixed] Pressing ESC at end-game decision autoselects "Path A" and allows game to end.
[Fixed] Killing Baelgar opens his gate permanently.
[Fixed] Returning to Akadai Underground without a Fetid Grubb Tumor will magically drop one so you can leave.
[Fixed] Opening Kingspawn's chest angers Kingspawn.
[Fixed] Fire alone does not trigger switches.
[Fixed] Script error when hitting switches.
[Fixed] Set content items generated with appropriate materials.
[Added] Ability to load .map files within /mod folder.

VERSION 1.021 CHANGES

[Updated] Omentor Temple changed (again) to force players to acquire all four Widgets to complete.
[Fixed] Numerous spelling/grammar issues (Prismatic Maelstrom)

** In terms of end-score bragging rights, only version 1.021 or later should be considered. Version 1.0 had too many exploits for a legitimate score.

April 7, 2014: Download link for Windows version. Must have a Basilisk Games Registration code.
April 8, 2014: MacOS and Linux now online.

Windows: http://basiliskgames.com/files/eb3_setup.exe
Linux: http://basiliskgames.com/files/eschalon ... _bg.tar.gz
MacOS: http://basiliskgames.com/files/eschalon ... cos_bg.zip
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Eschalon: Book III Version 1.02

Post by MyGameCompany »

Is v1.02 only available for Windows, or has the Mac link been updated too?
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

MyGameCompany wrote:Is v1.02 only available for Windows, or has the Mac link been updated too?
Windows only for right now. It's the machine I work on, and it doesn't require any extra work to prepare like MacOS does, and a larger majority of people use it.

Linux is really easy too, so I might get that one up later too. Sorry Mac people- not that I don't love you, but it really is a lot more work to compile and prepare the Mac version.

@PM: I'll get the readme file in there for the "final" release version. This one is just a Release Candidate for you to look at.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

As for the ability to read .map files:

- Make a folder inside your install called /mod
- In this folder you can place four specific fan-made maps:

5046.map (this would be the map north of Alundar's camp..the one that leads to Fandugan)
4952.map (this would be West Mirkland)
rockhammer_portal.map (this would be activated when you step on the Pentagram in Rockhammer)
valley_portal.map (this would be activated when you step on the Pentagram near the ritual sacrifice near Omentor).
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:VERSION 1.02 CHANGES
[Fixed] Pressing ESC at end-game decision autoselects "Path A" and allows game to end.
[Fixed] Killing Baelgar opens his gate permanently.
[Fixed] Returning to Akadai Underground without a Fetid Grubb Tumor will magically drop one so you can leave.
[Fixed] Opening Kingspawn's chest angers Kingspawn.
[Fixed] Fire alone does not trigger switches.
[Fixed] Script error when hitting switches.
[Fixed] Set content items generated with appropriate materials.
[Added] Ability to load .map files within /mod folder.
Question: Will we have to start a new character to see most of these changes (esp. "Set content items generated with appropriate materials.")? Or will loading a preexisting character with the new v1.02 app be enough? TIA.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Hello! If this is a release candidate instead of a final version, perhaps this could make it in before the official release: could you add in the ability to override general_items.csv as well? I'm guessing that custom items are pretty common in people's mods, and I think that adding them into the items CSV file is probably the only way to actually add them from a "global" map file.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:VERSION 1.01 CHANGES
[Fixed] A couple badly placed swicthes causing problems when people used powder kegs / Minor map adjustments
Unfortunately the changes you have made to the temple map do not remove the ability to complete it with only 2 widgets.

You can still pop a keg under portcullis marked green, walk back down the corridor to the lever and drop it to destroy that portcullis and then all three of the circled gates will be open allowing people to skip through into the last area.

The lever being right next to it or hidden down that corridor makes no difference :(
[+] SPOILER
temple2.JPG
temple2.JPG (53.13 KiB) Viewed 33870 times
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
Nevermore
Marshall

Post by Nevermore »

How many days we have to wait for the Mac patch?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:As for the ability to read .map files:

Hm, has anyone gotten this to work, btw? I've been trying to get a simple 4952.map to load but I'm getting the "your fate lies elsewhere" message, no matter where I've tried placing the map.

Additionally, btw: I don't know if it's because this version was compiled with some extra debugging or something, but the game itself feels quite laggy on this version. (I'm just doing the Windows version via Wine, but the 1.00 version via Wine works just fine, so I think it's something specific to this version.)

Also also also - even if this release is only going to have custom-map loading (and not, say, general_items.csv as well), it might make sense to have it load from a "mod/maps" dir instead of just "mod." (I did try putting my map inside a maps dir, as well...)
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Post by raverdave2k »

xolotl wrote: Hm, has anyone gotten this to work, btw? I've been trying to get a simple 4952.map to load but I'm getting the "your fate lies elsewhere" message, no matter where I've tried placing the map.
Nope it didn't work for me either, although I only tried with a modded version of an existing map so I has just assumed BW hadn't yet got around to changing the load order and this version only allowed for maps that didn't already exist inside the datapak, guess not :(
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

xolotl wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:As for the ability to read .map files:

Hm, has anyone gotten this to work, btw?
The "rockhammer_portal" map worked for me. I *assumed* the others would work as well, but you know how that goes. I'll take a look, make some adjustments, and get a RC2 version up tomorrow some time.

As for allowing for custom item .csv files, that will take a bit more thinking on my part (not on whether to allow it, but on how to implement it). This will probably be a 1.03 release. Let's get this external maps loading to work, which will allow you guys to fine-tune the map editor for easy implementation of maps, and then will tweak it some more.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Aha! Figured out my problem there. The directory name needs to be "mods" instead of "mod." (Incidentally, rockhammer_portal.map is actually supposed to be rockhammer_port.map, as well.) So anyway, that does appear to be working now. Thanks a bunch! :)

(I would still recommend that you have it read from "mods/maps" instead of just "mods," though, even for this first release - I suspect that'll prevent having to make further changes down the line. No matter either way, of course!)
timothypfox
Initiate

Post by timothypfox »

I purchased the game through Steam a few days ago, so I don't have a Basilisk registration code. It is still possible to download Book III Version 1.02?
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

timothypfox wrote:I purchased the game through Steam a few days ago, so I don't have a Basilisk registration code. It is still possible to download Book III Version 1.02?
I'd PM BasiliskWrangler with this question.

(My guess is that you'll have to wait until Steam updates the game app...)
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

The Steam version will get updated eventually.