Omentor Temple: Stuck at the entrance

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Leyden
Initiate

Omentor Temple: Stuck at the entrance

Post by Leyden »

I need some help with getting into Omentor Temple at the very beginning. I can’t get past the lava pool with the traps. I have all four widgets. The solid-looking gate after the entrance, but before you turn right into the hall that holds the room with the machine (the one that requires the gear widget) is not selectable nor lights up in any way. I can get into the area between the two Mystical Guardians but I can’t shoot the switch on the right though the gate nor window (“target is obscured”). I can’t get to the selectable machine in the beginning because the gate is shut and I can’t find anyway to open it.

I’ve deactivated or tripped (and survived) the traps in the lava pool up to “Vera’s Revenge” All attempts at deactivating that one (stepping on it, trying to deactivate it, setting a fused keg on it) have resulted in my spectacular death. :shock: Throwing Demon Oil at it also does not work. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m missing something, and probably something quite obvious because no one else has written in with this problem. :roll: Please help.

I will be hanging out at Macross Point eating chowder until a falcon arrives with a note to enlighten me.
raverdave2k
Senior Council Member

Re: Omentor Temple: Stuck at the entrance

Post by raverdave2k »

Leyden wrote: I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m missing something, and probably something quite obvious because no one else has written in with this problem. :roll: Please help.

I will be hanging out at Macross Point eating chowder until a falcon arrives with a note to enlighten me.
Nope your not missing anything, if your disarm trap skill is not high enough to disarm the traps then you just need to be hard enough to survive them (or walk around them).
My modifications for Eschalon Book I: RaverDave's Book I Mod
My modifications for Eschalon Book II: Port Kuudad Tower - Now Open, Treasure Of The Orakur

All previous versions avaliable here
Chaotic Newt Ral
Initiate

Post by Chaotic Newt Ral »

Suprisingly, walking over lava hurts less then the last two rows of traps.

Also you can make yourself immune to lava using Elemental Armor spell combined with Potion of Greater Protection (up to +80% Risistance to Elements in total).

Rising Endurance, Intelligence and Meditation helps as well.
munster
Senior Steward

Post by munster »

Yep, that's what I did - got so sick of trying to disarm the traps (and getting blowed up) that I said "Oh, fudge!" and hunted down a scroll of Elemental Armour, cast the spell, and walked over the lava in preference to being tricksy with traps.

Hurt less, was faster, and much less frustrating :D
Leyden
Initiate

Post by Leyden »

Okay, walking around the traps it is. Thanks everyone for the advice. My low endurance mage definitely can not take the blast. Ha! She gets hurt by her own fireballs if the opponent is too close! (Not exactly the most balanced of builds… Big on offense, not so much on defense. A kind of “wrath in the night”, range type character). I’ll look for the Elemental Armor spell. I still have a few coins left after my Epic Boots purchase at Macross Point (a very good find) and don’t want to lose them to lava! Plus, I’m betting this is going to be a battle with the Guardian (without an escape plan) so I better stock up on supplies.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Leyden wrote:Okay, walking around the traps it is. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Elemental Mages actually have it a bit easier than other classes, often, because you'll have spent more time pumping up INT, which helps with elemental resistance. There's also a +20% Elemental Resistance ring you can find if you troll around the shops for awhile, though waiting for a specific item from shops can be a pretty annoying experience, and probably isn't worth it if you don't happen to run into one by luck.
I still have a few coins left after my Epic Boots purchase at Macross Point (a very good find) and don’t want to lose them to lava!
I'd recommend taking off your boots (and pants!) before crossing the lava, actually. It seems a bit counterintuitive to strip down to your skivvies to cross a lake of molten lava, but the folk of Eschalon are hardy!
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:
I still have a few coins left after my Epic Boots purchase at Macross Point (a very good find) and don’t want to lose them to lava!
I'd recommend taking off your boots (and pants!) before crossing the lava, actually. It seems a bit counterintuitive to strip down to your skivvies to cross a lake of molten lava, but the folk of Eschalon are hardy!
Questions about this: There are a number of (armor) items in Book III that have a little flame logo in the corner of their grid sprites - What exactly does the little flame mean? Also, I found at least one cloak that had the word "Fireproof" in its name - are items called "fireproof" actually fireproof?! (I.E. They won't burn up in lava, etc.!)
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:Questions about this: There are a number of (armor) items in Book III that have a little flame logo in the corner of their grid sprites - What exactly does the little flame mean? Also, I found at least one cloak that had the word "Fireproof" in its name - are items called "fireproof" actually fireproof?! (I.E. They won't burn up in lava, etc.!)
Ah, I've been wondering about those, too, actually. Here's what I've found: (Edited to be a bit more straightforward.)

The flame icon does, in fact, denote that the item is fireproof. The icon and ability is applied by the engine to any item whose name contains the words "Fireproof" or "Dragon," anywhere in the name. For instance, here's a Fireproof Nonbaking Potato:
eb3_potato2.png
eb3_potato2.png (44.32 KiB) Viewed 12704 times
That "fireproof" and "dragon" are synonymous does make thematic sense. A dragon wouldn't have problems with flame, and if you made armor out of dragon hide, you'd expect it to be similarly fireproof.

I have only actually found this property to be useful for boots and pants, though. If you have fireproof/dragon boots and pants on, you can run around on top of lava fields all you want, and the items in question will suffer no damage. It is worth noting that you will still take damage from the lava, modified only by your Elemental Resistance. The ability only applies to the item in question. Also, the Fireproof ability does not make the item invulnerable to fire-based explosions (like fireballs), or to powder kegs.

Anyway, that's all the investigating I'll be doing tonight - someone else can take it from there. :) Is there some other fire-type damage which this ability usefully protects from (for non-boot-or-pants items), somewhere in the game?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Yeah, the "fireproof" is, I think, a fix from Book II where your fireproof boots and pants couldn't survive fire. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

xolotl wrote:...Also, the Fireproof ability does not make the item invulnerable to fire-based explosions (like fireballs), or to powder kegs.
That's because, unless it's changed since Book II, Fireball spell actually deals physical damage instead of fire damage (I assume powder kegs are the same...). Which, in the case of the Fireball spell, I've always had conceptual problems with. I mean, I can see Fireballs doing Fire and Physical damage. But I have a hard time with them just dealing physical damage without "fire" damage... :|
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Budget cuts prevent the fireball from being made of real fire, so it really could only do physical damage. Sorry man.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Leyden
Initiate

Post by Leyden »

Xolotl, thank you for reminding me to strip down before walking over the lava. That trip through space and time must have done more damage to my memory than I previously thought! :lol: I now seem to remember using the Elemental Armor spell to walk over lava during my last adventure in Mistfell.

I actually had the fireproof leather armor earlier in the game, but sold it to get a higher level armor. Last time I was buying at Macross Point, the vender had the Dragon Armor. I almost bought it but decided to save some coin for mana potions. I’m a little spoiled (I couldn’t stay away from the board) and have briefly read something about a dragon (no more, didn't want to be spoiled completely). However, I keep thinking that I might regret my thrifty ways. “Fireproof” armor might be nice to have when facing a dragon. Of course, if it just protects itself and leaves you to turn to ash…
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Well - if you'd like to undo your brief glimpse of the forums:
[+] SPOILER
Unless you really beg the dragon for a fight, you won't have a chance to fight it. And even if you do, fireproof armor will not help you. At all.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Leyden
Initiate

Post by Leyden »

Oh No!! Evil, Evil, Evil! :twisted: :lol: I won’t look. I won’t look. Logging off now. I must leave work now, enter the world of traffic and get home (before the snow starts flying --- again) and play on so I won’t be spoiled.