Book 3 (and 1+2) Adventure-Game style maps (spoilers)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Book 3 (and 1+2) Adventure-Game style maps (spoilers)

Post by xolotl »

Some of you may have already surmised that I tend to enjoy mapping videogames. Quite awhile ago I wrote an adventure-game mapper and was curious to see how it'd do with the Eschalon maps (partly to get a better grip on the Book II pathing - the maps got far more complex). Anyway, I've just gone ahead and plugged Book III into it, and on the "complex" version, it looks even twistier than Book II was, though a lot of that just comes from little "secret" nooks and crannies hidden around the edges of the maps.

IMO these are somewhat useful in getting a higher-level picture of the paths you'd need to take to get from point A to B, so to speak. A purple border indicates a QuickTravel location in that area. For Book III, Weeping Mountain is highlighted in green as your starting location.

Book I: Thaermore, Simple | Thaermore, Complex (those two are hardly different, mostly just the gate in Crakamir providing a barrier for part of the game.)

Book II: Mistfell, Simple | Mistfell, Complex

Book III: Wylderan, Simple | Wylderan, Complex (The "simple" version is missing a number of annotations because I was only really interested in the complex version.)
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Book 3 (and 1+2) Adventure-Game style maps (spoilers)

Post by Lord_P »

There's a "secret" in Macross Point? Hmm... Haven't come across that. Could do a quick swoop in the area.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

Lord_P wrote:There's a "secret" in Macross Point? Hmm... Haven't come across that. Could do a quick swoop in the area.
[+] SPOILER
I think he means the dead warrior with some spoil behind the wall that can be accessed from eastern astral range
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Leezar wrote:
Lord_P wrote:There's a "secret" in Macross Point? Hmm... Haven't come across that. Could do a quick swoop in the area.
[+] SPOILER
I think he means the dead warrior with some spoil behind the wall that can be accessed from eastern astral range
Or
[+] SPOILER
the area with the bugs and a chest in the southwest corner of the Macross Point map.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

(I figure the thread's already marked with "spoilers" in the topic, so I'm not going to bother with the tag. :)

Leezar was correct... The way I tend to do those is to separate them out into areas for which there's no direct path available. The little bit in Macross Point which contains the secret isn't actually accessible directly from the rest of Macross Point - you have to go wander around through the Astral Range to get there. So it's sort of a "virtual" room inside the larger map.

The other secret area in Macross Point (with the bugs and chest, in the SW corner) is effectively in the same room as the rest of the map, so it wouldn't warrant its own room.