Eschalon Sound in Linux - No OpenAl

Linux support forums for Eschalon: Book II
tecknode
Initiate

Eschalon Sound in Linux - No OpenAl

Post by tecknode »

UPDATE: I am running Ubuntu 13.04

I am using the "padsp" to launch Eschalon 1 & 2, BUT the sound is choppy after I upgraded from Ubuntu 12.10, and Eschalon shows [FreeAudio] :cry:

Also, why can I NOT get the audio to show [OpenAl] as I did in Ubuntu 9 :?:

Is there a launch prefix I can use to get Eschalon to run OpenAl :|
Tecknomage
aka Master Blaster
Mage Pages
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Eschalon Sound in Linux - No OpenAl

Post by xolotl »

tecknode wrote:Also, why can I NOT get the audio to show [OpenAl] as I did in Ubuntu 9 :?:

Is there a launch prefix I can use to get Eschalon to run OpenAl :|
If Book 2 operates the same was as Book 3, what you need to have OpenAL support in the engine is the 32-bit library libopenal.so. The package on Ubuntu is apparently "libopenal1:i386", though I don't run Ubuntu myself so I can't verify. Also make sure that the actual file "libopenal.so" is present, not just "libopenal.so.1". If you only have the .1, you can make a symlink yourself. Hope that helps!
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Eschalon Sound in Linux - No OpenAl

Post by xolotl »

xolotl wrote:If Book 2 operates the same was as Book 3, what you need to have OpenAL support in the engine is the 32-bit library libopenal.so. The package on Ubuntu is apparently "libopenal1:i386", though I don't run Ubuntu myself so I can't verify. Also make sure that the actual file "libopenal.so" is present, not just "libopenal.so.1". If you only have the .1, you can make a symlink yourself. Hope that helps!
Oh, ha - not only do I see that you already got an answer in another topic, I also see that your post was over a year old. Well! Hurray for that. :)