Lair of the witch

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Bob the Thief
Apprentice

Lair of the witch

Post by Bob the Thief »

I found two entrances to the Lair of the Emayu witch. One by the tree and one a bit to the west. I got into the lair from both entrances. From the west entrance I killed the two skeletons and went through the pentagrams to the room with the two chests after the corridor of archers. From the entrance by the tree (trap door) I went through the locked door and met Baizel and killed her after a chat. (Dropped a gate on her, purely by accident, I swear.) I smashed the condensor and saved the tree. However, when I move about the Lair and by using Reveal Map spells, I can see parts of the Lair that I cannot get to. Any hints?
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Lair of the witch

Post by Vroqren »

The entire dungeon is explorable, though the large majority of it is through the western entrance. Some places are inaccessible until you flip a lever somewhere else in the dungeon.
EDIT: Ah - the west entrance you were using was the staircase. There is a more formal entrance to the dungeon even further west on that same map (across the river, behind a secret passage).

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
dundonalddub
Senior Steward

Post by dundonalddub »

Is that the one from the cabin in the woods that requires a password? I've scoured this forum and I can't find the word and I can't figure it out! Could someone help :oops:
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

dundonalddub wrote:Is that the one from the cabin in the woods that requires a password? I've scoured this forum and I can't find the word and I can't figure it out! Could someone help :oops:
[+] SPOILER
Remember the note the ranger gives you? Part of it says "...Seek what comes after day...." Then get out the book "Snows of May." Part of it says "...and ends another day; Spirits wander with the lost...." So, the word you need to write is "spirits."
dundonalddub
Senior Steward

Post by dundonalddub »

Thanks a bunch, Painted Lady.
dundonalddub
Senior Steward

Post by dundonalddub »

I went through the witch's lair and crossed the river, came out on the other side. However, I still couldn't open the gate to go further in the lair. I couldn't find a switch and black powder wouldn't do it either. What am I missing?
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

dundonalddub wrote:I went through the witch's lair and crossed the river, came out on the other side. However, I still couldn't open the gate to go further in the lair. I couldn't find a switch and black powder wouldn't do it either. What am I missing?
There's a third entrance to the lair which gives you access to the remaining bit. Explore around a bit more and you should find it!
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

dundonalddub wrote:I went through the witch's lair and crossed the river, came out on the other side. However, I still couldn't open the gate to go further in the lair. I couldn't find a switch and black powder wouldn't do it either. What am I missing?
Are you talking about the iron grate to the right of the stairway leading out of the witch's lair? If so, that thing is impossible to remove. I vaguely remember something about it being blocked off during alpha testing. Anyway, to finish with the witch you need to find the third entry to her lair. You will have to kill some Blue Nidaria to get there.
[+] SPOILER
It is the trapdoor under Ulgolek.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Painted Lady wrote:
Are you talking about the iron grate to the right of the stairway leading out of the witch's lair? If so, that thing is impossible to remove. I vaguely remember something about it being blocked off during alpha testing...
That's the story I've heard.

I've been meaning to suggest "reintegrating" both portions of the Witch's Lair using teleporter pads that you can only visit and activate after defeating the Witch as a workaround to that (and to avoid the game-breaking issue that was discovered in alpha testing), but I keep forgetting!!... :oops: :wink:
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

IJBall wrote:I've been meaning to suggest "reintegrating" both portions of the Witch's Lair using teleporter pads that you can only visit and activate after defeating the Witch as a workaround to that (and to avoid the game-breaking issue that was discovered in alpha testing), but I keep forgetting!!... :oops: :wink:
Possibly easier would be to add another key-only lever which controls the gate, and have Baizel drop the key.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
SpottedShroom wrote:Long answer: they were connected during testing, but the "have you restored Ugolek?" event fires only when you leave by the entrance by Ugolek, which was causing trouble if you took a different way out.
Then perhaps the restored Ugolek could also give you the key to open up that gate between the two portions of the Witch's Lair?...

That would solve this problem.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

IJBall wrote: Then perhaps the restored Ugolek could also give you the key to open up that gate between the two portions of the Witch's Lair?...

That would solve this problem.
Here is one of my branches. It contains very old and powerful magick. You can use it to bash down that grate over there.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
IJBall wrote:That would solve this problem.
Problem? I don't see a problem.
Blocking the two halves of the Lair of the Witch from each other for the whole game is unnecessary, and just adds an annoying obstacle to movement around Wylderan to the latter part of the game. Allowing an 'in-game' way to open that up the blocked gate is not that hard to design, as I've shown up-thread...
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:I'm still not seeing the problem. How many times do you have to visit the section where you find Baizel?
Eh, you're right - I was confused by which parts of the Lair I was talking about - you can still get to the north side of Elderoak without opening that gate up.

Still, I'd like to be able to open that gate up anyway!... :twisted:
(I'm a completist!! :P )