Are saves in version 1.0 compatible with version 1.02 ?

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
KarlXII
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Are saves in version 1.0 compatible with version 1.02 ?

Post by KarlXII »

If I begin the game with version 1.0, do I need to restart when applying patch 1.02 ?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Are saves in version 1.0 compatible with version 1.02 ?

Post by SpottedShroom »

KarlXII wrote:If I begin the game with version 1.0, do I need to restart when applying patch 1.02 ?
This is not an official answer, but nothing in the changelog should affect the save file formats. I would be very surprised if saves from 1.0 didn't work correctly with 1.02.
KarlXII
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by KarlXII »

Good to know since I have been afraid of starting up the game before the GOG patch arrives. As long as I will benefit from the changes in version 1.021 when those are applied I can start up the game right now.
AK_Marty
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by AK_Marty »

GoG says they are serving 2.0 now. I installed it last night, ran old saves without any problem.
Alaska Marty
"It looks a lot more like it does now than it used to!"
KarlXII
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by KarlXII »

AK_Marty wrote:GoG says they are serving 2.0 now. I installed it last night, ran old saves without any problem.
It still says version 1.0R in the main menu. I don´t think they´ve updated it yet.
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

AK_Marty wrote:GoG says they are serving 2.0 now. I installed it last night, ran old saves without any problem.
That refers to the version of their installer, not the version of the game itself.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

One thing to keep in mind for mid-game upgrades: if you've already visited a map which contains some bugfixes, then your game will not include those bugfixes. For instance, the 1.021 release makes various changes to the "Omentor Temple" map. If you've already visited Omentor using 1.00, that savegame will never "pick up" the fixes in 1.021.

For this specific release (1.00 -> 1.021), there's really not many map fixes (and most of the map fixes are just aimed at making it harder for people to cheat, accidentally or on purpose), so it's not really a big deal in this case. If any future updates have more mapping changes, though, it might be worth keeping in mind.