Book III Character / Map Editor v1.0.1 (April 15, 2014)

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Book III Character / Map Editor v1.0.1 (April 15, 2014)

Post by SpottedShroom »

xolotl wrote:Anyway, as of 1.0.1, I'm now signing both the release files themselves, and an ASCII checksum file.
Did you sign and replace the version of the OS X build that I did? Because I didn't sign it before I uploaded it to sourceforge.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

GChrisSfish21 wrote:There are no known or current security threats to 10.68.
Remember the "goto fail" bug - the one that completely bypassed SSL certificate validity checking? Yeah, no patch for that was released for 10.6. If you don't consider that a security threat, I don't know what to tell you.
Could argue that 10.6 is more secure than 10.9 or whatever.
Okay, now I think you're just trolling.
ehsmadhatter
Initiate

Post by ehsmadhatter »

SpottedShroom wrote:
ehsmadhatter wrote:osX version is still looking for the datapak which does not exist.
I do like the new app graphic.
It should ask for "datapak (or directory containing gfx directory)" when you start it. Is that not what you're seeing?
Yes, that's what is says but when you link to that directory still doesn't "see" what it needs.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

SpottedShroom wrote:Did you sign and replace the version of the OS X build that I did? Because I didn't sign it before I uploaded it to sourceforge.
I just signed the copy that you had uploaded - I'm using detached signatures so the original file doesn't get altered.

I suppose that if you had an interest in signing the OSX versions yourself, we could just do it that way from now on (or even re-sign the one that's there now). I'd just sort of assumed that I'm probably the only person who'd care about the signing anyway, so I'd just do 'em all. :)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

ehsmadhatter wrote:
SpottedShroom wrote: It should ask for "datapak (or directory containing gfx directory)" when you start it. Is that not what you're seeing?
Yes, that's what is says but when you link to that directory still doesn't "see" what it needs.
Make sure that you're selecting the Files directory inside the app, not the gfx directory itself. Your preferences window should look something like this.

In the next release we should probably check to see if the user has selected the gfx directory and if so actually use the parent.
Attachments
prefs.png
prefs.png (8.13 KiB) Viewed 21807 times
ehsmadhatter
Initiate

Post by ehsmadhatter »

Got it! Thanks.
GChrisSfish21
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by GChrisSfish21 »

SpottedShroom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:03 pm

GChrisSfish21 wrote:There are no known or current security threats to 10.68.

Remember the "goto fail" bug - the one that completely bypassed SSL certificate validity checking? Yeah, no patch for that was released for 10.6. If you don't consider that a security threat, I don't know what to tell you.

Could argue that 10.6 is more secure than 10.9 or whatever.

Okay, now I think you're just trolling.

Dear Shroom,
My comments were echos made by others who deal with these issues daily elsewhere.

The "goto fail" bug does not effect 10.6. Completely bypassing SSL certificate validity checking targets 10.7 and above, specifically Mavericks - when APPL made security changes exposing the bug.

Not wanting to keep a separate code base is one thing and understandable. However, I like many others, have expensive legacy apps which we use and cannot afford to repace with newer even more expensive versions. I, for one. have no intension of going higher on APPL's operating systems as long as I can find a used machine which runs 10.6 - if I need to replace my current one.

Do whatever you need to do,
C
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

GChrisSfish21 wrote:(various OSX things)
It's important to note that from a software development standpoint, maintaining software for unsupported platforms is a losing game, especially when there are newer versions of the platform available which are supported. I agree that it sucks that Apple is continuing its long track record of user-hostile support situations. Their policies manifest in difficulties for developers as well as users. Put mildly, Apple does not usually go out of its way to make things easy on people who are trying to support more than one version of OSX with their software.

I don't have any Apple stuff myself, but it sounds as though supporting the older versions requires a nontrivial amount of effort, and I for one can't blame SS for not wanting to support an abandoned product. Remember that both of us are just doing this in our free time because it's something we enjoy doing. As with many open-source hobby software projects, support for stuff like this often has to come from someone with the drive to take charge of it themselves.

That said, the editor should work just fine on 10.6 if you run the source version and take the time/effort to install Xcode/Homebrew/Macports/whatever's-actually-necessary-on-10.6 yourself. You may be stuck on obsoleted software unwillingly (in re: the expensive apps keeping you on the old version), but it does mean that you're shifting some of the grunt work to yourself, to run this thing. You might not be able to run the easy-to-install prepackaged DMG file, but with some effort you should be able to get it to work anyway.

Good luck! It'd be nice if the situation were otherwise, but we all must play with the hand we're dealt, yes? :)
GChrisSfish21
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by GChrisSfish21 »

OK. UNCLE!

Found a spare HD with room, installed OSX 10.92, now what? Eschalon Utils (in Eschalon BIII folder) still gives console errors. Do I need to install xcode or some other thing to get it to run?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

GChrisSfish21 wrote:OK. UNCLE!

Found a spare HD with room, installed OSX 10.92, now what? Eschalon Utils (in Eschalon BIII folder) still gives console errors. Do I need to install xcode or some other thing to get it to run?
I've seen a few reports of the app not running on 10.9 systems, but the crash output hasn't been enough to figure out what the problem is. You should not need to install Xcode or anything but XQuartz. Can you run the app from a terminal and post the output?
GChrisSfish21
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by GChrisSfish21 »

DLed XQuartz and copied to 1092 partition, will try to fire up 1092 later today or tommorow. I don't use Terminal, but I guess the command to type is "run eschalon_utils". If that works, I'll copy output and post here for your inspection, Sir! :)

Not certain how to direct command, but something like: HD/Games/Eschalon Book III/eschalon_utils. ?

C
GChrisSfish21
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by GChrisSfish21 »

Forgot to unpack Xquartz

Ran Terminal:
open /Volumes/Media/Games/Eschalon\ Book\ III/Eschalon\ Utils.app/Contents/MacOS/Eschalon\ Utils

/Volumes/Media/Games/Eschalon\ Book\ III/Eschalon\ Utils.app/Contents/MacOS/Eschalon\ Utils ; exit;
Illegal instruction: 4
logout
[Process completed]

Crash Report if needed.

I hate 1092 FWIW
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Book III Character / Map Editor v1.0.0 (April 2, 2014)

Post by MyGameCompany »

xolotl wrote:In the meantime, you could try opening up the editor's config.ini file. On Win7, I believe that should be inside "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Eschalon Savefile Editor\config.ini"
Thanks, that worked! I can open the Book 2 map editor now. Now I can see if my Book 2 mod idea will be as cool as I think it will be... :wink:
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Book III Character / Map Editor v1.0.0 (April 2, 2014)

Post by xolotl »

MyGameCompany wrote:Thanks, that worked! I can open the Book 2 map editor now. Now I can see if my Book 2 mod idea will be as cool as I think it will be... :wink:
Was there anything obviously wrong in the file before you edited it, btw? It still looks to me like it should have prompted you for the location, if it wasn't found.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

No, the file looked fine. I just added the missing paths for the Book 2 editor, and then it worked.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland