Ugh. L13 and indecisive. (Spoilers)

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Ugh. L13 and indecisive. (Spoilers)

Post by Evnissyen »

1. Don't want to deal with the goblins. (Either on the Beach or the map just below Macross Point.)
2. Don't want to go underground at Mirkland, since with no direct escape I'll have to fight my way out, I'm a druid who recovers slowly underground, and as a mage will have to stock up on mana, and at this point I have neither the reagants nor the money.
3. Can't finish the the underground rooms since I don't have the key to the larger magic circle room. (At 1% chance of picking, I'm guessing my only choice might be to quicksave and retry a whole bunch of times to get to the magic circle... assuming it brings me someplace, hopefully deeper in the catecombs.)
4. Don't want to deal with the witch and her zombies just yet. Not until I have better spells and more mana and more mana potions, and I don't want to waste those potions until I'm stuck under Mirkland with no escape.

...Well... I guess the only options are 1. trying to pick the 1% lock and 2. Waste mana potions on fighting her and her zombies. Killing her quickly obviously isn't an option since she summons the things as soon as you attack her... or wait long enough before attacking her. ...But there's no loot in that, to let me buy more spells and some more mana potions and ingredients (which I rarely pick up, even with 12 foraging, sigh).

I guess the main thing is there're no places left, that I know of, where I can find gold or sellable items to buy supplies with. (Except the Omentor place with the devices, maybe, probably, but I haven't found that spring yet, which makes me think maybe I have to head north to find it... unless it's hiding under Mirkland (not tackling until I'm stocked up).

...For that, maybe I'd have to pick the goblins off one by one, like I did with the Akadai. Except those weren't quite as difficult.

...Can't get north yet, either... sigh... .

Okay, okay, not a question or pointing out an issue. Sue me. :evil:

EDIT: No actual spoilers, please!
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Calathon
Marshall

Re: Ugh. L13 and indecisive. (Spoilers)

Post by Calathon »

Well, I do not consider this to be a spoiler but simply a game mechanic I have noticed: the witch (as well as the "special" lizard in the Moonrise Underground) does not necessarily use a certain spell / skill when attacked. The witch can fleshboil you (or was it "sunder flesh"?) or summon a skeleton (for the lizard it is melee attack or fossilization), so a "load&save-strategy" might help you in fighting her without having to battle a single minion of her (I once did this in ver. 1.00).

I always dealt first with the Mirkland-"frogs" because they offer far less resistance to any attacks than the goblins do. Since you do not have an option to leave out any of those locations it might be a good idea to start in Mirkland before you take care of the goblins.

I hope this helps a little bit. :wink:
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

If you camp on the goblin beach, you will occasionally be awakened by 3-4 goblins with powder kegs. Need 1 or 2 hits and grantes 320... or was it 420? XP.

Ka-ching.

(Quicksave b4 resting and quickload if you get the wrong kind of goblins.)
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

The witch's fleshboil attack can be resisted with magick resistance and there are rings for that. You probably don't have the intelligence to do it normally. Also a potion of greater protection would work.

Turn undead spell will keep her summons ineffective.

I'd avoid the goblins until you have a massive damage range attack. However you can run past them and avoid most fights to get to Macross Point and it's merchants.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Leezar, that was the most awesome response. I was happy to get rid of one goblin in the camp who was [idiotically] surrounded by powder kegs... but 1 dead goblin by 4 powder kegs is just not satisfying.

I killed maybe 3 others before finally calling it quits.

Today I went and killed the witch. It was surprisingly easy. It only took 4 ice lances and she was dead. Never summoned any sketons.

I was disappointed in that, so I reloaded and let her summon all of one skeleton. Fireball made that more satisfying.

Tried again to give her time to summon a whole bunch... that was a little overwhelming. I stuck with the second outcome.

Still no key to the magic circle room. Will probably need to pick it.

I'm still determined to get in there. That has to be the way further into the underground rooms.

But at least I got to lvl 141! 8)

(btw: I said "Spoilers" just to be safe. They're really just events that not everyone necessarily has gone through. (I mean, I, for one, have been playing this piecemeal when I have time.) )
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Evnissyen wrote: Still no key to the magic circle room. Will probably need to pick it.

I'm still determined to get in there. That has to be the way further into the underground rooms.
What "magic circle room"? I don't recall anywhere you need to pick a lock to advance in the game.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

SpottedShroom wrote:
What "magic circle room"? I don't recall anywhere you need to pick a lock to advance in the game.
Are you using a mod? I also don't remember a magic circle room. Where exactly is it?
mbrowne
Steward

Post by mbrowne »

Painted Lady wrote:
SpottedShroom wrote:
Are you using a mod? I also don't remember a magic circle room. Where exactly is it?
Maybe "magic circle" = teleporter?
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

If a door is that hard there is usually a key for it. You might have missed a container somewhere that has the key.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Randomizer wrote:If a door is that hard there is usually a key for it...
Unless you're in Hammerlorne in Book II!... :?
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Randomizer wrote:If a door is that hard there is usually a key for it. You might have missed a container somewhere that has the key.
That's what I'd assumed. If the picking chance is 1% there must be a key someplace. But I didn't find one. I found ones for all the other doors (and I tend to be meticulous about searching barrels & ceramic urns (when they're not sealed) & such)... .

Anyway, I finally picked it, and got through the rest of the dungeon.
mbrowne wrote:
Painted Lady wrote:
SpottedShroom wrote:
Maybe "magic circle" = teleporter?
Yes, by "magic circle room" I meant teleporter, but it's in a large room, unlike the one at the south end of the dungeon. It's the large room on the north end of that big, complicated dungeon beneath Elderoak. When you enter at first you meet two skeletons you have to fight, then the gate down the hallway that would otherwise lead to the Witch's chamber where she's leeching Olgolek's waters is shut and you can't get past it. To the south is a locked door leading to a big blue room with a teleporter sitting in the middle. If I remember right, I think the access is the stairway to the southwest of the tree Olgolek.

Anyway, killed the witch, got through the whole dungeon, all that's left now is Mirkland (tentacle tree) and the goblins. I'm gonna tackle Mirkland first, so I'm stocking up on mana potions.

Damn... it's so hard to find ambergris to make mana potions... or the ingredients for mana fortify. :|
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Evnissyen wrote: Yes, by "magic circle room" I meant teleporter, but it's in a large room, unlike the one at the south end of the dungeon. It's the large room on the north end of that big, complicated dungeon beneath Elderoak. When you enter at first you meet two skeletons you have to fight, then the gate down the hallway that would otherwise lead to the Witch's chamber where she's leeching Olgolek's waters is shut and you can't get past it. To the south is a locked door leading to a big blue room with a teleporter sitting in the middle. If I remember right, I think the access is the stairway to the southwest of the tree Olgolek.
Oh, the chamber in the Witch's Lair with the teleporter at 45, 116? That takes the Spooky Key, which you get from a chest in the witch's treasure room, at 79, 124.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

SpottedShroom wrote:Oh, the chamber in the Witch's Lair with the teleporter at 45, 116? That takes the Spooky Key, which you get from a chest in the witch's treasure room, at 79, 124.
Hmm... I just went back and checked a game save from the Witch's domain, and the spooky key was on my keychain after going through the teleporter... I remember I still had to pick the lock in order to get there. Oh, well, maybe it was a really specific kind of bug, or something. I don't have any game saves from right after or before I kill the witch (I don't think), so I wasn't able to check that without some more... uh... toil and trouble.

Well, no matter now.