The Sanctum: Mod for powerful wizards

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Book III mod: The Sanctum

Post by MyGameCompany »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
SpottedShroom wrote:That I've heard, yes.
Ever since April 2012 I've had 197 downloads of my mod and none of these people have said anything about it. You were the only person to go into real detail SpottedShroom and that was back in 2010.
Sorry, PM. I did download your mod awhile back, and I do enjoy it. I thought I had left some feedback for you in your mod's thread, but I see that I didn't. So it's there now. :D
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

[+] SPOILER
Calathon wrote:I really liked that you can try and abort almost every quest (in case you don´t feel you are up to it right now)
- It would have been nice, though, if there was an exit from the "demon-oil-room". I once saved in there (without the oil, of course) and had to restart because I was locked in - apart from that this room gave me a headache because I was trying to blast some kegs without causing a chain reaction, which isn´t possible. So I had to read some hints on this room
Yes, there is an easy way back out for all of the rooms but that one and the one with the Ghorrs. If I let you teleport back out, you could just drop a fused keg, which wasn't meant to be the puzzle.
- the "maze-room" reminds me on Fallout 2, where you have to go through a maze on the Enclave oil platform. So this is one of my favourite quests, but I did not solve it entirely on my own because I did not think of the portal spell. Mainly because one room (don´t remember which one) forbids the use of portal.
A hint for this one is that it's on a different map from the rest of the dungeon, just so that I could enable Portal use.
- the "teleporter-room" nearly drove me insane, so thanks for the step by step instructions :wink:
I think this is my favorite. It shouldn't be too difficult with a spreadsheet and a little patience, but I think I made it nearly impossible to brute force :)
- after I killed the 3 generals (simultaneously, using super nova) and did some steps, there was a brief message saying something about a failed challenge - I could touch the monolith anyway, so I don´t know which challenge I was on
I think this is also a quest re-use bug.
- I entered the Orakur craft and it seems I am stuck: neither sabotage nor insertion of the stones seems to have any effect (I did not do both at the same time), so I read about this quest-numbering-problem: which files exactly do you need in order to get this issue fixed?
I have what I need now, thanks. I just need to get off my butt and do it. I hope that should happen this week.

Thanks for the feedback!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I just released version 1.2. It's a major bug fix release and recommended for everyone who plays the mod. Please don't use the 1.0 and 1.1 versions and more!

The big change is bug fixes that should prevent all sorts of problems due to overlapping quest numbers, mainly in the "Defeat simultaneously" room and in the finale.

Also, "Defeat simultaneously" and "Burn precisely" were modified to prevent you from being trapped there, and "Look carefully" was tweaked to make it a bit easier.

Finally, it's now branded as a mod for powerful wizards, which I hope will set expectations a bit better.
Calathon
Marshall

Re: The Sanctum: Mod for powerful wizards

Post by Calathon »

Very nice, indeed. The few problems I mentioned earlier are completely gone (well, except the problems I had because some riddles were too challenging for me, but that's a good thing, though), but now I would like to
[+] SPOILER
see a fourth part of the Eschalon Books, in which I again start without any knowledge of anything (due to time travel issues, you know :wink: ) and then be able to write my own past (or future). The only thing you would need to take care of is that the Orakur spacecraft does not open its hatch during time travel and, well, you would probably need some time for making a new mod / total conversion called "Eschalon Book IV: A past rewritten". But enough dreamed for today. :)
Long story short: nice mod of yours and thank you for making it!
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
sapientCrow
Steward

Post by sapientCrow »

Can I load this after I already have saved the Alundar's Domain map?
I defeated it normal and then went back with the files in my main exe directory and when trying to enter North it says nothing is that way.
Edit: Even when I delete map 5047 and the corresponding files it still will not let me enter into Fandugan through the North entry point.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Yes, this mod does not modify any maps and can be added at any time to any game, regardless of other mods you may have loaded. Keep in mind that it is NOT a savegame mod! You add the .map and .ent files to the mods directory of your Book III install, not into the slot directory of your saved game.
sapientCrow
Steward

Post by sapientCrow »

Hmm they are in the mods directory as they are inside the zip file.
Yet I am not able to go into that other map.
Not sure what the problem is. It keeps giving the red error that nothing lies beyond that point or something similar.

Edit: Would it matter if it was not in a default install location?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

sapientCrow wrote:Hmm they are in the mods directory as they are inside the zip file.
Yet I am not able to go into that other map.
Not sure what the problem is. It keeps giving the red error that nothing lies beyond that point or something similar.

Edit: Would it matter if it was not in a default install location?
Are you sure you're on the latest version of Book III? Mod support wasn't added until 1.02. The location of Book III shouldn't matter. What operating system are you using?
sapientCrow
Steward

Post by sapientCrow »

Yep that was it. Had no idea I was still on version 1.0

Those were some awesome puzzles and at times quite frustrating. Cool use of the spells!!

Bug:
I found when I loaded my game in the final chamber after doing one ending it was pitch black with no lights and I could not use guiding light or cats eyes or anything to see.

Thanks for this mod. I dig puzzles!! And they took some mental power.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Thanks for playing it! Did you get through all the rooms without looking at hints/spoilers?
sapientCrow wrote: Bug:
I found when I loaded my game in the final chamber after doing one ending it was pitch black with no lights and I could not use guiding light or cats eyes or anything to see.
That's because I use the "fade out" function to simulate ending the game. Unfortunately, you stay faded out, even if you load a new game. You have to fully exit the game program and start it again.
sapientCrow
Steward

Post by sapientCrow »

Ahh I got ya.

Well I admit that I looked up view remotely as I could not figure out green and red from afar.
I also looked up burn precisely as I did not think to use a demon oil 1 and I only had 3. (brain fail there)
I also even though I assume there was a pattern to step wisely I brute forced it. I was tired and I could not figure out the pattern with the wall plaques if there was one??

thanks again.
Mods make the game a lot more enjoyable.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

sapientCrow wrote: I also even though I assume there was a pattern to step wisely I brute forced it.
I didn't think this was possible to brute force. There is only one square that teleports you to where you can touch the monument, and only one square that teleports you somewhere you can step on that square. I expected people to solve it by keeping notes on where each square takes you.
I was tired and I could not figure out the pattern with the wall plaques if there was one??
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean the names for each area?
sapientCrow
Steward

Post by sapientCrow »

Hah...
Yah with those types of puzzles I seem to be good at doing the brute force method.

I meant as if there was a method to do it easier paying attention to the plaques on the wall using a graph sheet and x y mapping.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

sapientCrow wrote:Hah...
Yah with those types of puzzles I seem to be good at doing the brute force method.

I meant as if there was a method to do it easier paying attention to the plaques on the wall using a graph sheet and x y mapping.
No, the plaques on the wall are just decorative.
helivoy
Steward

Post by helivoy »

I still have version 1.0 of Book III. Can I play the Sanctum mod in it? If yes, can I have a hint/spoiler for the entry point? Clearly, it's not north of Fandugan pass, but the Astral Range is long!

Many thanks in advance!
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.
-------------------------------------
Starship Reckless
To Seek Out New Life
The Other Half of the Sky