Would you purchase the soundtrack if it was available?

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!

Would you purchase the soundtrack?

Yes
67%
No
29%
Undecided
4%

Total votes: 24

Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Would you purchase the soundtrack if it was available?

Post by Vroqren »

*sigh* Prismatic, you asked him too soon. You came so close too - you only needed to wait an hour and 11 minutes...

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: For our next game, I will hire a composer to write us an exclusive soundtrack and I'll make sure we retain full ownership rights to it, so that a separate soundtrack can be made available.
IMHO the music from Books I and II is simply spectacular. It would be wonderful if Glorian Slavov were still available to contribute music to your next big game.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:This investor of yours won't allow it, will he...
Can Basilisk Games really claim to be an independent game developer?
Back in October I was limited on what I could do with the source code since we were in talks with an investor. Ultimately, I ended up working on a few projects for them which provided a nice injection of cash to help with the next game. Eschalon is still ours, and we are still independent.

Thanks for waiting a year to ask again. :D Does xolotl still come around anymore? Does SpottedShroom have the time to dive into obscure and horribly written source code? I'm afraid he'd take one look at it and promptly jump out of a high window.

Look ... the truth is we are deep into our next game and it is fracking awesome. It is new and exciting, and in some ways it does things that no other game in it's genre has done. Eschalon is just not a big focus for me now, but I really do look forward to the day I can go back in, dust off the code and work on the Special Edition Trilogy that I have mentioned. This is another reason I need to protect the source code- because I'm not done with it.

The bottom line is, I don't think I am any closer to releasing the source code now than I was a year ago. But, my offer still stands to help someone else work on a random dungeon generator.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: Thanks for waiting a year to ask again. :D Does xolotl still come around anymore? Does SpottedShroom have the time to dive into obscure and horribly written source code? I'm afraid he'd take one look at it and promptly jump out of a high window.
I will happily sign an NDA or $1 employment contract to look at the code and work on adding better mod support. It might not get much use, but I still think it would be interesting. And I think you underestimate how bad of code I look at on a regular basis.
Eschalon is just not a big focus for me now, but I really do look forward to the day I can go back in, dust off the code and work on the Special Edition Trilogy that I have mentioned. This is another reason I need to protect the source code- because I'm not done with it.
How would releasing source be a problem for this? You (or someone you designate) would have the final say for what patches get merged into the official tree. If people want to make forks, that's fine, but then you wouldn't be under any obligation to make your new releases compatible with them.
The bottom line is, I don't think I am any closer to releasing the source code now than I was a year ago. But, my offer still stands to help someone else work on a random dungeon generator.
I don't think we actually need any more official help for that one. The functionality is already there in the editor, someone just needs to pull it together.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

SpottedShroom wrote:... It might not get much use, but I still think it would be interesting.
Really, this is it. SpottedShroom has a full-time job and I doubt he'd really have the time to dive in and make any real sense of it. And trust me SpottedShroom, you don't want to be the person who has to keep explaining to everyone else why you still haven't done anything with the source code month after month.

Which brings me back to here- I have found someone locally who knows both Unity and BlitzMax, who has spare time, and is considering an attempt to port of the Eschalon engine to Unity. What this would mean would be a more efficient engine, wide-screen and multi-resolution support, new visual effects such as real-time shadows, and of course the ability to correct long time bugs and add content in the process, and certainly would make me consider another Eschalon game (prequel? sequel? Same time but different continent and story?) Of course this is only in the earliest of discussions and nothing would come of it until after our current project, but fans of Eschalon should know that it's a possibility.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:What this would mean would be ... (snip)....., and certainly would make me consider another Eschalon game (prequel? sequel? Same time but different continent and story?) Of course this is only in the earliest of discussions and nothing would come of it until after our current project, but fans of Eschalon should know that it's a possibility.
I am sooooo excited that you are even considering expanding the world of Eschalon. Whether or not you are ever able to make it happen, it's very exciting to think another Book might be a possibility. That would be just wonderful for devoted fans like me!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Oh PM, you're such a drama queen! :lol:

I'm a busy guy, PM. I drop by the forums a couple time per day just to make sure there are no notifications waiting for me- I rarely read all the new comments. I've got a business to run, another game in the making, and a family who wants some of my time too. Oh, and it's a holiday weekend here in the states, so I don't even know why I'm posting this now.

The source code is not being released now or anytime soon. I could list a dozen solid legal and legitimate reasons why this is my decision, and any one of them is enough.

Will I never release the source code? Never say never. At some point I can almost guarantee that I will, but it is very unlikely until the next game is completed and selling.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:I understand completely, I really do. Every day there must be at least a hundred new posts here at the Drunken Lizard Pub and I wouldn't want you to spend an hour or two reading them all.
This is the last time I will be baited into a public debate with you, so listen closely:

My day consists of dealing with dozens of emails regarding tech support issues, download link requests, invoice requests, hint/help requests, interview/promotion requests, resume submissions, linkedin connections, and about a dozen other common subjects. The forums almost always have something waiting on me: an account activation request, a PM, a complaint, spam that needs deleted, or a critical update that needs to be installed. Maybe you think we are no longer gaining new customers and so I just sit around doing nothing, but between the last GoG promo, the recent IndieGameStand promo, and our own sales, we've have over 1800 new customers in the past 60 days. I am the only one providing tech support for these people.

Have I mentioned yet again that I am also building a new game engine and RPG system? And finally I try to maintain some kind of life outside the studio, so it's nice just to walk away from it all for a few hours a day.

So yeah, I don't always browse the few new posts on the forums because I trust senior members, like you, would do the right thing and help out someone needing assistance.
Mike Modified
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Mike Modified »

IGNORE is such a nice feature of this site's software. :lol:

Mike