Transfer saves from Linux to Windows

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
razing32
Initiate

Transfer saves from Linux to Windows

Post by razing32 »

I have an issue.

I played book 2 on Linux and recently tried to copy my saves to Windows 8.1
The game sees the saves , but when I try to load them I get "ACCESS VIOLATION ERRROR"

Please help :(
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Transfer saves from Linux to Windows

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Access violation generally means you are missing a file (the game attempted to load something that wasn't there). You might not have copied everything over.

The save files are exactly the same between OSs.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
razing32
Initiate

Post by razing32 »

Interesting , I was thinking a permission issue.
Well , I took all save slots from ~./BasiliskGames in linux to %appdata%\Basilisk Games\Book 2 Saved Games.
Am I missing a config file or something ?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

razing32 wrote:...Am I missing a config file or something ?
The game should rebuild the config file if it was missing.

One thing you could try is this: destroy all the save slots on the Winodws machine. Start the game, and let the game remake those folders. Now begin a new game, then save it. Confirm that you can reload it just fine.

Now exit the game and go to that save slot, and replace the files in there with the contents of whichever save slot you want to carry over from Linux. Bonus points- make sure that you have full ownership rights on those files. See if that works.

If you still get the error, then I think you might have some kind of corruption with the save files- the game is looking for data that isn't there.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

It might help to post your saves here so that one of us can have a look at them.
razing32
Initiate

Post by razing32 »

One thing you could try is this: destroy all the save slots on the Winodws machine. Start the game, and let the game remake those folders. Now begin a new game, then save it. Confirm that you can reload it just fine.

Now exit the game and go to that save slot, and replace the files in there with the contents of whichever save slot you want to carry over from Linux. Bonus points- make sure that you have full ownership rights on those files. See if that works.
I tried just that.

I deleted all the saves, started a new game and copied a slot over.
It lasted 2-3 seconds more before it gave me an error and crashed. Like i got all the way into the game , I click a bit , it tells me something about being overencumberred and then I get the error. (if it is relevant, it once showed my encumberance as -12457)
It might help to post your saves here so that one of us can have a look at them.
Here is the save folder :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbau2d73pbd1m54/zip.zip?dl=0
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I'm able to load most of these games, although so far I've only tried on Linux. test9a through 8i don't work, and neither does 8k or 4f. Is that the same behavior you're seeing?

Slot 3 (rahat) works for me, but slot 4 (test9a) does not. The only differences between the two slots are the char, savename, and thieves_arcadia.*, so the corruption must be in one of those.
razing32
Initiate

Post by razing32 »

The Thieves Arcadia was the one crashing for me . That was as far as I got with the game and I had multiple saves due to the assassins and traps popping up all over the place. Will have to try a few of the older ones then , although I do recall one in Fellpine Forest crashing as well (not sure if I had visited the Arcadia Thieves guild by that point or not ... )